[news.groups] A radical new departure for newsgroups

Currently the following hierarchies exist, with controlling bodies:

	news		Usenet guidelines
	comp		Usenet guidelines
	soc		Usenet guidelines
	sci		Usenet guidelines
	rec		Usenet guidelines
	talk		Usenet guidelines
	misc		Usenet guidelines
	alt		Nobody
	gnu		The Free Software Foundation
	clari		Brad Templeton
	inet		Internet (not really a hierarchy)
	bionet		Eliot Lear
	biz		Consensus
	pubnet		Bill Wisner
	unix-pc		Various
	u3b		Len Rose

The usenet hierarchies are getting too unruly. They're too big. How
about farming them out, delegating naming and group creation authority
to various people or other groups. For example, most of the comp.sys.*
groups could be safely delegated to a user group or vendor. It should
be pretty safe to allocate a bunch of people to create new groups in
talk.religion.* and talk.politics.*, and so on. CMU could administer
comp.soft-sys.andrew.

It would probably be a good idea to consolidate some of the second-level
groups (comp.emacs, etcetera) into second-level hierarchies first. Also,
the comp.sources.* and comp.binaries.* shoudl be moved to the appropriate
comp.sys.* hierarchy.

Once a group is under delegated control, you should go to the controlling
body to get a group created, destroyed, moderated, unmoderated, and so on.
If they prove refractory, then you can appeal to another hierarchy or
go by the guidelines.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (11/19/89)

This is probably another forgery but, just in case:

In article <7002@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Currently the following hierarchies exist, with controlling bodies:
>
>	news		Usenet guidelines
>	comp		Usenet guidelines
>	soc		Usenet guidelines
>	sci		Usenet guidelines
>	rec		Usenet guidelines
>	talk		Usenet guidelines
>	misc		Usenet guidelines
>	alt		Nobody
>	gnu		The Free Software Foundation
>	clari		Brad Templeton
>	inet		Internet (not really a hierarchy)
>	bionet		Eliot Lear
>	biz		Consensus
>	pubnet		Bill Wisner
>	unix-pc		Various
>	u3b		Len Rose
>
>The usenet hierarchies are getting too unruly. They're too big. How
>about farming them out, delegating naming and group creation authority
>to various people or other groups.

OK, this sounds like a good idea. I'll take news, comp and sci.
Whoever wants the rest can have 'em.

As the Overlord of News, Comp, and Sci, my first edict is:

Sci.Aquaria shall henceforth be known as Sci.Fish-Behind-Glass.

And my second edict is:

Comp.Unix.Xenix shall henceforth be known as Comp.Unix.Imitation.Bad.

And my third edict is:

News.Admin, News.Groups, and News.Announce.Important shall be collapsed
into a single newsgroup named News.Dave. Obviously, it will be moderated.

The newgroup and rmgroup messages implementing these edicts shall be
forthcoming in the next few hours. I will think up more improvements in
the Sacred Namespace after I've had my nap.

Your Benevolent Overlord for News, Comp, and Sci,
Dave Mack

In article <1989Nov19.063639.2490@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
> This is probably another forgery but, just in case:

No, it's real.

> OK, this sounds like a good idea. I'll take news, comp and sci.
> Whoever wants the rest can have 'em.

If you'd bothered to read the rest of the proposal, I was talking about things
like comp.os.vms, comp.org.usenix, comp.sys.amiga, and so on. Where an obvious
and appropriate controlling body can be found.
--

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/22/89)

As quoted from <7053@ficc.uu.net> by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <1989Nov19.063639.2490@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
| > OK, this sounds like a good idea. I'll take news, comp and sci.
| > Whoever wants the rest can have 'em.
|
| If you'd bothered to read the rest of the proposal, I was talking about
| things like comp.os.vms, comp.org.usenix, comp.sys.amiga, and so on. Where an
| obvious and appropriate controlling body can be found.

I have to agree with Peter.  His proposal is just a generalization of two
existing mechanisms:  moderation, and independent top-level hierarchies.
After all, control of a (single) newsgroup is a necessary (but not sufficient)
part of moderation.  Generalization being better than specialization in most
cases, I'd say go for it.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)