[news.groups] Isn't it time for comp.sys.ibm.pc.tech?

Isn't it time to create a .tech, .programmer, .wizard, whatever group to
give the people in comp.sys.ibm.pc somewhere other than comp.lang.c to
take arms against a C of segments?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (11/22/89)

How about alt.msdos.programmer?  Now that the spate of batch-file
hacking is over with...

From article <7064@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
$ Isn't it time to create a .tech, .programmer, .wizard, whatever group to
$ give the people in comp.sys.ibm.pc somewhere other than comp.lang.c to
$ take arms against a C of segments?

It's called alt.msdos.programmer

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
				|%|UUCP: uunet!frith!dale1!jhl	   	Work
				|%|      uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl 	Home
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Shawn Masters) (11/22/89)

I thought that was what alt.msdos.programmers was for.  I know that I've
answered the same questions there about IBM PC C compilers as often
appear here.  Of course who would think the equivalent of a technical
help news group would fall under alt.?

Shawn Masters
George Mason University

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

In article <603@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> smasters@gmuvax2.UUCP (Shawn Masters) writes:
| I thought that was what alt.msdos.programmers was for.  I know that I've
| answered the same questions there about IBM PC C compilers as often
| appear here.  Of course who would think the equivalent of a technical
| help news group would fall under alt.?

  If the group can keep it's technical image there might be a consensus
about moving it. I certainly would support a REASONABLE split of c.s.i.p
into some small set of groups like applications, utilities, hardware,
and techniques. There are topics which would be appropriate to cross
post, but that's not a massive problem.
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <603@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> smasters@gmuvax2.UUCP (Shawn Masters) writes:
> I thought that was what alt.msdos.programmers was for.

I was vaguely aware of this group. But it didn't seem to have made much
difference to the number of "How do you use a COM port in MS-DOS" type
questions in comp.lang.c (the answer, BTW, is "you don't: you write a
driver")...

Thus I think it would probably help to have a mainstream group for this purpose
as well. Perhaps a split like comp.sys.mac.{programmer,hardware} would even
be in order...
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.
"The basic notion underlying USENET is the flame."
	-- Chuq Von Rospach, chuq@Apple.COM

pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat) (11/23/89)

In article <7064@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Isn't it time to create a .tech, .programmer, .wizard, whatever group to
> give the people in comp.sys.ibm.pc somewhere other than comp.lang.c to
> take arms against a C of segments?

My $.02: yes, it's time. And I think it's time to do the same to
comp.lang.pascal, in some way or another, but its readers seem resistant
to it because most of them are PC people anyway.
--
Pete Gontier   : pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu; outgoing .UUCP cause me grief
Hire this kid  : Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

"This was it. This was what he was, who he was, his being. He forgot to eat.
 Sometimes he'd resent having to leave the deck to use the toilet..."
                                              -- William Gibson, _Neuromancer_