[news.groups] A radical new departure for newsgro

justin@inmet.inmet.com (11/22/89)

/* Written  3:38 pm  Nov 19, 1989 by peter@ficc.uu.net in inmet:news.groups */
[...]
If you'd bothered to read the rest of the proposal, I was talking about things
like comp.os.vms, comp.org.usenix, comp.sys.amiga, and so on. Where an obvious
and appropriate controlling body can be found.
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
/* End of text from inmet:news.groups */

I'm not at all sure that the "obvious" controlling body is usually
appropriate. One of the most-often-raised concerns I've seen when people
have proposed moderated techie groups is, "Is this going to be run by
the company?" Let's face facts, Usenet is not the most trusting group of
folk in the world. Thus, giving DEC control of the comp.os.vms hierarchy
(to take a currently relevant example) isn't likely to sit well with
everyone, because there will be a number who fear that the company will
run things its own way, with its own political agenda.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here; I think your idea isn't totally
off-base, but I suspect that you'll meet with a lot of resistance if you
try to actually put it into effect. And the resistance to putting a group
*about* an organization in that organization's hands isn't entirely
unfounded; witness the recent UNITEX debacle...

					-- Justin du Coeur

In article <41800009@inmet> justin@inmet.inmet.com writes:

| I'm not at all sure that the "obvious" controlling body is usually
| appropriate. One of the most-often-raised concerns I've seen when people
| have proposed moderated techie groups is, "Is this going to be run by
| the company?" Let's face facts, Usenet is not the most trusting group of
| folk in the world. Thus, giving DEC control of the comp.os.vms hierarchy
| (to take a currently relevant example) isn't likely to sit well with
| everyone, because there will be a number who fear that the company will
| run things its own way, with its own political agenda.

  I never thought of that. I assumed the obvious body was DECUS, so
maybe the proposal could be given more detail. I doubt that Peter meant
Digital would run it, but I can't speak for him.
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <1768@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>   I never thought of that. I assumed the obvious body was DECUS, so
> maybe the proposal could be given more detail. I doubt that Peter meant
> Digital would run it, but I can't speak for him.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.