[news.groups] ***Call for discussion: Rec.video.software***

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (11/20/89)

In article <17100@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>This is a formal call for discussion on the formation of a new newsgroup
>to be called rec.video.software (the name is also up for discussion, for
>those who may be opposed to the use of "software" in this context).
>
>This unmoderated group would be for the discussion of video software in any
>currently available format, including VHS, S-VHS, Beta, ED-Beta, 8mm, and
>Laserdisc, as well as past and future video formats.

I support this proposal. Discussions of particular video releases
occupy a middle ground between rec.video and rec.arts.movies. They
often wind up cross-posted to the two groups, which seems like the
worst solution. There really are three distinct subjects: movies as
art (or entertainment); pre-recorded videos as commodities; and video
equipment. It makes a great deal of sense to me to deal with these
three subjects on three different newsgroups. I would say, though,
that the charter should explicitly exclude discussions about the
artistic and/or entertainment merits of a movie or video. These belong
on r.a.m.  The last thing we need is more casual reviews of movies. I
could, however, see discussions about issues like wide-screen,
computer coloring, the "bonus" material that often turns up on premium
laser disc releases, etc. Just no movie reviews or actor gossip; and
no equipment reviews or camcorder comparisons...

Laser discs, especially, are generally purchased (rather than rented);
they're not cheap (the interesting ones); and they're of mixed
quality.  While tapes are more often rented, the same issues still
apply for those who like to buy them. A forum for discussion of these
things would be very helpful.

I'm not crazy about the name, but it is self-explanatory and I can't
come up with anything better. I would support the proposal under this
name.

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (11/21/89)

In article <48512@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>In article <17100@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>>This is a formal call for discussion on the formation of a new newsgroup
>>to be called rec.video.software (the name is also up for discussion, for
>>those who may be opposed to the use of "software" in this context).
>>
>>This unmoderated group would be for the discussion of video software in any
>>currently available format, including VHS, S-VHS, Beta, ED-Beta, 8mm, and
>>Laserdisc, as well as past and future video formats.
>

>                                              I would say, though,
>that the charter should explicitly exclude discussions about the
>artistic and/or entertainment merits of a movie or video. These belong
>on r.a.m.

Yes, I failed to state explicitly that I believe that rec.video.software
should be devoid of any discussion which doesn't pertain directly to
the video transfer.

Here's one thing I haven't worked out yet, though:  Should spoilers be
ok with no warning in this group, should there be a complete ban on
spoilers, or should the same rules apply as in Rec.arts.movies?  I
would much rather have either free-for-all spoilers or no spoilers at
all. I don't think putting "(spoilers)" in the subject line would be
feasable in this group.

>I'm not crazy about the name, but it is self-explanatory and I can't
>come up with anything better. I would support the proposal under this
>name.

Bob Niland suggested Rec.video.titles, but I still favor Rec.video.software
at this point.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (11/22/89)

In article <17200@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>Here's one thing I haven't worked out yet, though:  Should spoilers be
>ok with no warning in this group, should there be a complete ban on
>spoilers, or should the same rules apply as in Rec.arts.movies?

If a transfer screwup happens to take place during a spoiler scene, we
need to know. I agree that spoiler warnings are tedious in this
situation, so I'd say we should simply ignore the whole "spoiler"
issue altogether. People can just skip over articles about movies they
haven't seen (which might suggest that the subject line should always
contain the title of the video in question).

>Bob Niland suggested Rec.video.titles, but I still favor Rec.video.software
>at this point.

Given this choice, I'd go with "software". The naming issue doesn't
seem to be all that serious in this case -- no hierarchy confusions or
bizarre acronyms to deal with. Let's just stick with "rec.video.software".

scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) (11/22/89)

I don't think this group gets enough volume to
create any new groups. Look at rec.bicycles (which does
get a lot of volumn) and they don't want to split either.

The 'n' key works great.

--
--Scott Moody  UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!scott)

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Secret Squirrel) (11/22/89)

In article <17100@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>This is a formal call for discussion on the formation of a new newsgroup
>to be called rec.video.software (the name is also up for discussion, for
>those who may be opposed to the use of "software" in this context).
>
>This unmoderated group would be for the discussion of video software in any
>currently available format, including VHS, S-VHS, Beta, ED-Beta, 8mm, and
>Laserdisc, as well as past and future video formats.

I support this, if the people in rec.movies feel that "movies on tape"
do not belong to their group. I would vote for this group. (As for
the name, it's better than a few of the others, although I might prefer
something else if it were better.)

Ciao,
Danno

--
________ --------<--<-@     --------<--<-@     --------<--<-@ ________
\ <O    \ Daniel McKinnon '91            danno@dartmouth.edu / <- O> /

oc@vmp.UUCP (Orlan Cannon) (11/23/89)

In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
>re: "rec.video.software"
>
>...I suggest we
>avoid the suffixes:  "software" and "programming".
>
>May I once again suggest:  rec.video.titles

Throughout the video industry, which extends to those misty shores
known as the video rental and purchase customer, the stuff that is
stored on videotape is called "software."  This may indeed be confusing
to a computer programmer.  But it should be very familiar to anyone
who regularly reads a group called "rec.video.*".

Discussing pre-recorded video software is what I do all day.  I
welcome a group that would help me cut through the hardware information
(which is of very little interest to me) in rec.video.

--
--Orlan Cannon                            ...!uunet!vmp!oc
  Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    vmp!oc@uunet.uu.net

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (11/24/89)

In article <1632@shuksan.UUCP> scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:

>I don't think this group gets enough volume to
>create any new groups. Look at rec.bicycles (which does
>get a lot of volumn) and they don't want to split either.

A group does *not* have to be overflowing to create another group.  I,
like many people in rec.video, want to read everything in *both* groups.

As a reader of rec.bicycles, I could understand why they didn't want to
split, because each group had a lot to offer to the other group.  In this
case, the hardware/software distinction is broad enough that it is very
unlikely that either group would lose any expertise to the other group.
It should be clear that discussion of movies, etc. on video tape or disc
is a vastly different subject than discussion of how to hook up a TV
antenna or a VCR or what camcorder to buy.  There should be a software
group just because the subject is so clearly defined and separate from
the hardware subject.  Don't think of this as a group splitting off from
another group, think of it as a new group to cover a very clearly defined
subject which is growing in popularity. Those of us interested in the
group expect a large increase in volume when/if the new group is created
because interested people from other groups will join in and because those
of us who want rec.video to remain a forum for the discussion of hardware
don't want to post software stuff until there is an appropriate place to
do it.  I, for one, am willing to post monthly reports of upcoming releases
on laserdisc, and reviews of all the laserdiscs I purchase, but I won't
do it in rec.video because I am equally devoted to video hardware and
the range between "when is Roger Rabbit coming out?" and "how do I hook
up my TV antenna" is just too large for one group.

If you like using your 'n' key so much, why don't we combine the motorcycle
and bicycle newsgroups, and you can use your 'n' key all you like.  It has
nothing to do with large volume, as long as each group has enough volume to
justify it as a separate group.  It has to do with the logical distinction
between topics.  That's why you don't see a lot of groups with huge volume
splitting; there just isn't a clear enough division in the subject to
prevent a lot of cross-posting or expert-stealing.  I promise that
rec.video.software will have more than enough volume to justify its existence,
and that the distinction between hardware and software is more than broad
enough to prevent cross-posting and expert-stealing.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (11/24/89)

In article <1632@shuksan.UUCP> scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:

>I don't think this group gets enough volume to
>create any new groups. Look at rec.bicycles (which does
>get a lot of volumn) and they don't want to split either.
>
>The 'n' key works great.

I already replied to this artice, but one thing I forgot to mention,
which clearly distinguishes this case from a case like rec.bicycles,
is that the video software discussion is presently taking place in
at least two newsgroups, and maybe more.  Do you agree that as long
as none of these newsgroups has excessive volume that these people
should not be able to form a separate newsgroup where all of the
discussion can take place?  Even if you do, rec.arts.movies certainly
qualifies as having excessive volume, and would benefit just as greatly
as rec.video if the articles discussing video software could be moved
into a new newsgroup.  Your fundamental misunderstanding is that somehow
all of this video software discussion is neatly packaged into rec.video,
and everyone who should be contributing is already reading rec.video, when
in fact the discussion is scattered all over the place.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

oc@vmp.UUCP (Orlan Cannon) (11/26/89)

I am posting this for Mathew, who cannot post to the net.

In article <2717@vmp.UUCP> you write:
>In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
>>re: "rec.video.software"
>>
>>...I suggest we
>>avoid the suffixes:  "software" and "programming".
>>
>>May I once again suggest:  rec.video.titles
>
>Throughout the video industry, which extends to those misty shores
>known as the video rental and purchase customer, the stuff that is
>stored on videotape is called "software."  This may indeed be confusing
>to a computer programmer.  But it should be very familiar to anyone
>who regularly reads a group called "rec.video.*".

Throughout the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, perhaps. In this country I have NEVER
heard anyone describe the contents of a video cassette as "software", and I
have never seen it described in such a way in any catalogue or published
promotional material. My father and uncle both work in the UK film industry,
so I'm talking about press releases and the like, not just magazines from the
local newsagent.

I will vote in favour of rec.video.titles or rec.video.releases. I will most
definitely vote AGAINST rec.video.software if it is proposed. Usenet is no
longer the exclusive province of the United States; you may be quite happy
to butcher the English language, but don't try to foist your ill-chosen trendy
jargon on us.

Sorry if this seems a little irate; it's not really a personal attack - I can't
post to the net, unfortunately, so I'm hoping someone else will make the point
for me. Permission is given to quote any of this if you feel like it.

mathew.
--
mathew.   Undergraduate, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
JANET:       smm12@uk.ac.cam.cl      EAN:         smm12%cam.cl@ean-relay.ac.uk

In article <2718@vmp.UUCP>, mathew writes:
| In article <2717@vmp.UUCP> you write:
| >In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
| >>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
| >... the stuff that is
| >stored on videotape is called "software."
|
| Throughout the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, perhaps. In this country I have NEVER
| heard anyone describe the contents of a video cassette as "software"
|
| I will vote in favour of rec.video.titles or rec.video.releases. I will most
| definitely vote AGAINST rec.video.software if it is proposed. Usenet is no
| longer the exclusive province of the United States; you may be quite happy
| to butcher the English language, but don't try to foist your ill-chosen trendy
| jargon on us.

Mathew is quite correct that I am unfamiliar with British usage.  The
largest video industry group in the U.S. is called the "Video Software
Dealers Association."  Are there equivalents in other countries?

--
--Orlan Cannon                            ...!uunet!vmp!oc
  Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    vmp!oc@uunet.uu.net
  Hoboken, NJ 07030                       (800) 627-4551

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/26/89)

In <1632@shuksan.UUCP> scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:
Scott> The 'n' key works great.

Statements like this are made far too frequently to cover anything
from high traffic in a group to posting test messages to non-test
groups.  It is not a valid argument for people who don't want to see
the articles to begin with.  There might be _other_ valid arguments,
but this one simply doesn't cut it.

Perhaps we should merge comp.all into just one group, "comp".  After
all, if you don't want to read the articles about everyone else's
system or language, your 'n' key works, right?

Dave

By the way, I don't like the "software" part of the name, either.
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))