[news.groups] Call for discussion, SCI.VIRTUAL-WORLDS

[This is a repost of article <7013@ficc.uu.net>. I'm reposting it because there
 is a forgery out there with that article ID.]

This should definitely be a 'comp' group.

comp.cyberspace?
comp.interfaces?
comp.interfaces.cyberspace
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

In article <7025@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

| comp.cyberspace?
| comp.interfaces?
| comp.interfaces.cyberspace

  (a) I agree that the name should be comp.SOMETHING, and I have no
preference. I will note that the more generic term "useragents" for man
to machine interfaces might be useful here.

  (b) I would like to see a delayed call for votes until I have a chance
to see what the traffic in alt.cyberspace is.

  This makes me more convinced that we need a "D news" with another data
organization. I would be delighted to see comp.mail.mush and
comp.useragents.mush both map to the same articles, since either is a
valid way of thinking about the subject.

  This is not a denunciation of what we have, just a suggestion that the
answer to the question "which name is best" might be "several."

  I invite technical comments on implementation details and rational
comments on human interface issue, will having several names (cross
index if you like) help people find the correct group or confuse users?
that the world is flat!" - anon

bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) (11/21/89)

Why should this be a comp. newsgroup?  What about virtual worlds generated
in the acoustic realm, for which computation is a necessary but subordinate
issue?  Or what about the psychological implications of virtual experience?

Quick, Greg, call for a vote on the 2/3 majority. Now everybody wants to
be in sci. This group may be appropriate (I haven't seen a real
discussion of the content) but I think the time has come for new
guidelines.

My first reaction on the group is "see what the traffic is in the alt
group." That will give an indication of interest.
that the world is flat!" - anon

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (11/23/89)

 I concur with Mr Jacobson. SCI would be preferable as the
 requirement is for a cross-disciplinary discussion.

bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) (11/25/89)

I would also like to point out that while alt.cyberspace is a
courageous attempt to break new ground on Usenet, there are
several researchers known to me who will not frequent alt.
conferences regardless of their content.  This may be small-
minded of them, but if we are to get the sort of hh-quality
exchange, with nothing left out, that most users appear to
want, alt. may not cut it.

Okay, enough from me.  More from you!

--
BOB JACOBSON, Associate Director, Human Interface Technology Laboratory
       University of Washington (FU-20), Seattle, WA 98195 USA

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/25/89)

In <14720@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:
Bob> I would also like to point out that while alt.cyberspace is a
Bob> courageous attempt to break new ground on Usenet, there are

Courageous?

Bob> several researchers known to me who will not frequent alt.
Bob> conferences regardless of their content.  This may be small-
Bob> minded of them, [...]

It is very small-minded of them.  Should we pander to such pettiness?

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (11/26/89)

In article <14720@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:

>Okay, enough from me.  More from you!
>
>--
>BOB JACOBSON, Associate Director, Human Interface Technology Laboratory
>       University of Washington (FU-20), Seattle, WA 98195 USA
>   (206) 543-5075 (voice), 543-5380 (fax)   *   bluefire@well.uucp
>                >> "We can do virtually anything." <<

First, let me say that I support the group, and given its interdisciplinary
nature, sci seems like the best place for it.

However...

It bothers me that both Jacobson and Rheingold are posting from the Well.
It's not like UofW isn't on the Internet. Doesn't HITL have any computers?

Part of what makes this proposed group more than just an attempt to
move alt.cyberspace into the central hierarchies is the cachet that
comes from having it proposed by people who are actually doing research
into virtual reality as a serious scientific endeavor.

The fact that the two principle proponents of the group don't post
through washington.edu makes me wonder if we aren't being spoofed
just a bit.

Yours for a more paranoid tomorrow,
Dave Mack

craig@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (Craig S. Wilson) (11/26/89)

In article <14720@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:
>I would also like to point out that while alt.cyberspace is a
>courageous attempt to break new ground on Usenet, there are
>several researchers known to me who will not frequent alt.
>conferences regardless of their content.  This may be small-
>minded of them, but if we are to get the sort of hh-quality
>exchange, with nothing left out, that most users appear to
>want, alt. may not cut it.
>--
>BOB JACOBSON, Associate Director, Human Interface Technology Laboratory

I agree that in order for the discussion to "get serious", it will
have to be promoted out of the alt.* dungeon.  I think that it is too
bad that more people don't take advantage of the freedom that alt.*
offers.

Not reading anything in alt.* because of some of the groups that live
there is like not reading any of the funnies because you don't like
_Garfield_.

/craig

Craig S. Wilson           |    Democracy      |{amdahl|hpda}!bungia!com50!craig
Com Squared Systems, Inc  |    is not  a      |craig@c2s.mn.org
2520 Pilot Knob Road      |    spectator      |(612) 452-9522 voice
Mendota Heights MN 55120  |      sport.       |(612) 452-3607 fax

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (11/27/89)

In article <1989Nov25.195904.8008@alembic.acs.com> I wrote:
>It bothers me that both Jacobson and Rheingold are posting from the Well.
>It's not like UofW isn't on the Internet. Doesn't HITL have any computers?
>
>Part of what makes this proposed group more than just an attempt to
>move alt.cyberspace into the central hierarchies is the cachet that
>comes from having it proposed by people who are actually doing research
>into virtual reality as a serious scientific endeavor.
>
>The fact that the two principle proponents of the group don't post
>through washington.edu makes me wonder if we aren't being spoofed
>just a bit.

I received several bits of e-mail explaining the situation, including the
following from Bob Jacobson, excerted with his permission:

    Dave,

    Howard Rheingold and I are coming through The WELL to post our
    messages regarding the proposed newsgroup, sci.virtual-worlds,
    for two reasons.

    First, we have been communicating via The WELL about the topics
    at hand for over two years.  The community of thinkers with whom
    we most often discourse is The WELL community, and it is simply
    more convenient to do our normal WELL messaging and then go to
    Usenet, rather than to log off The WELL, log onto the UW machine,
    invoke rn, and do Usenet there.

    Second, my home computer, an Eagle, is totally incompatible with
    the UW Unix machines and no one can figure out how to make it
    work well.  I am totally unable to do any editing via the UW
    machines.  This situation will shortly be rectified by my purchase
    of a Mac SE, for which a readily available interface exists.  You
    may start seeing me as cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu at that
    time.

    Until then, I prefer to use The WELL, which is not only compatible
    but which offers superb editing tools that are not available via
    the Unix machines.

    If and when we have permission to start the new newsgroup, Howard
    and I will both be transferring to the Internet through UW, whose
    administrator has given us permission to host the sci.virtual-
    worlds conference from Milton (a hyperfast Vax).

    [...]

    Explanation enough?  We're not joshing the Usenet community.  We
    do want to get sci.virtual-worlds up and running.  And we want to
    do it responsibly and well.

That's good enough for me, people. My apologies to any and all who
thought my comments were a slur on the integrity of the proposers
of sci.virtual-worlds.

--
Dave Mack