[news.groups] Hierarchies

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/21/89)

According to sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin):
>In some areas we see various modifications to systems to work around the
>fact that hierarchies don't model reality well.  [...]
>The Unix filesystem has symbolic links and hard links.
>C++, in its evolution from 1.2 to 2.0, added multiple inheritance
>which (at least) made inheritance a DAG instead of a tree.
>
>The news software and users needs a method for jumping out of the system
>(of hierarchies) when it appears to be inadequate.

Actually, the news software does provide mechanisms for bypassing the news
hierarchy when necessary:

  1.  Crossposting.  Rather like Unix hard links, in that an article exists
      equally in all the named groups.

  2.  Aliasing.  The news administrator may set up an alias for a newsgroup.
      Depending on the news version, an alias may or may not modify the
      article header.  Rather like Unix soft links.  Sample aliases:

		mod.sources     comp.sources.unix
		sci.aquaria     alt.aquaria

  3.  Followup-To.  Says that this article may be cross-posted, but
      continued discussion should go to a particular place.

I wonder what further escapes from the hierarchy are needed.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

In article <25684CEF.26422@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>   1.  Crossposting.  Rather like Unix hard links,...

	More like soft links, since you can link across hierarchies,
	distributions, administrative groups, etc...

>   2.  Aliasing.  ... Rather like Unix soft links. ...

	And this is more like file system mounts. It's something the
	administrator does, users can't, and generally users don't care
	about it so long as they don't run out of disk space.

> I wonder what further escapes from the hierarchy are needed.

	Merged groups, perhaps? Brad's keyword searching stuff? Who
	knows... how about the other hierarchies in News: threads and
	message chains?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (11/28/89)

In article <7068@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Merged groups, perhaps? Brad's keyword searching stuff? Who
>knows... how about the other hierarchies in News: threads and
>message chains?

I always liked the idea of the keyword searching, but it has a fatal
flaw:  the people writing the articles aren't qualified to write the
keywords.  It may be possible to get a pretty high quality filter
(better than choosing groups anyway) by having software guess at the
keywords based on the contents of the article.  It might be a fun thing
to prototype.  Threads and message chains are more accurately modeled as
DAG's than as hierarchies (and I wish the news readers supported that!).

Rob Sartin			internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
Software Technology Lab 	uucp    : hplabs!sartin
Hewlett-Packard			voice	: (415) 857-7592