[news.groups] Newsgroups: Best solution yet. :)

NMBCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/15/89)

I know how to end all the group name arguing...

Lets just put all the articles on the net into one big newsgroup called
"articles". :)

On the other hand, maybe thats not an appropriate name. :)

Just a little levity breaking. :)   Very little.  :)

                                                    Nelson Broat
                                     "ton ot eb desufnoc thiw noslen taorb".

craig@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (Craig S. Wilson) (11/26/89)

In article <2704NMBCU@CUNYVM> NMBCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I know how to end all the group name arguing...
>Lets just put all the articles on the net into one big newsgroup called
>"articles". :)
>On the other hand, maybe thats not an appropriate name. :)
>Just a little levity breaking. :)   Very little.  :)
>                                                    Nelson Broat

Actually, I have been thinking about this also.  There would need to
be some good keyword / context sensitive newsreading software.

Just think of all of the disk space saved by not having messages
bitching about group names, distribution, charters, etc.

/craig

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (11/28/89)

In article <3104@com50.C2S.MN.ORG> craig@com2serv.c2s.mn.org (Craig S. Wilson) writes:

>Just think of all of the disk space saved by not having messages
>bitching about group names, distribution, charters, etc.

Good point!  Look how much "bandwidth" is "wasted" on these types of
messages.  No one (before) has ever complained about it.  Yet, when one
of the users of unix.cis.pitt.edu puts a couple of "@" in their
signature, root and postmaster are flooded with mail messages
complaining about the horrible waste of "BANDWIDTH".

Think about how much traffic is passed in the news.groups flames-wars
(oops, I mean "votes").  I would be nice to have a dynamic news system
where "groups" would come and go.

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/28/89)

In article <3104@com50.C2S.MN.ORG> craig@com2serv.c2s.mn.org (Craig S. Wilson) writes:

>Just think of all of the disk space saved by not having messages
>bitching about group names, distribution, charters, etc.

Think of it as a reason to update your drive/fs configuration.
(....more disk space ..... more disk space .... more .....)

If you look hard enough at the above 2 lines, the point will be apparant.

If you don't have the patience, suffice it to say that this discussion
now will hopefully preclude more aggravation in the future (at least
for a year or so).

In the meantime, I think I'd better increase the size of /dev/news

>/craig

  Ed. A. Hew, SCO Authorized Technical Trainer, XeniTec Consulting Services
  edhew@xenitec.on.ca	       -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew