[news.groups] CALL FOR VOTES: *.AQUARIA

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (11/25/89)

In article <8911210433.AA00399@uunet.uu.net>, peter%ficc@uunet.UU.NET (Peter da Silva) writes:
> This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
> be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:

[... stuff deleted...]

> 	rec.aquariums
> 		This name was suggested by someone who was concerned
> 		about the new-age connotations of "aquaria". There is
> 		currently a poll being held on this name.

The hell with new-age connotations.  As long as this is a vote about the
proper name of this group, let's at least keep up with proper English
usage.

Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Unabridged, 1986) shows
"aquariums" before "aquaria" as the preferred plural.

A vote for "rec.aquariums" is a vote for the correct name of this newgroup.

--
Bob Weissman	USENET administrator for omni.com
Internet:	<bob@omni.com>

bbc@nysa.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (11/26/89)

Yeah, I know, I signed off of news.groups.  But then Peter da SIlva,
peter@sugar.lonestar.org, had to screw things up:

>This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
>be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:

Peter, they're still debating the merits of STV in news.groups!  It's
not ready for use on a real issue.  Specifically, how will you handle
ties for last place in a given round?  (I will agree that the absence
of a "no" choice on the ballot is irrelevent for this vote, given your
definition of its purpose, which is to rename an existing group.)

Now, wait a minute.  They're still discussing the events involved in
changing the name of a group.  And the time scale of these events.
So, you're asking for a vote, using a voting procedure that's still
being defined, to perform an action, which is also still being
defined?  Beautiful.

>	I will note right now that I am personally opposed to the name
>sci.aquaria,

(I feel it is inappropriate for you to announce your personal
opposition in your call for votes.)

>because I see it as an attempt to defraud certain groups of
>people who wish to avoid the use of their facilities for recreational
>purposes.

There are other ways to correct these perceived problems.  One would
be to call for discussion on the creation of "rec.aquaria".  No, not a
sci.aquaria renamed, or a replacement, but a companion group.  The
recreational postings can go in rec.aquaria, and the scientific
postings can go in sci.aquaria.  And perhaps Richard would never be
called on to fulfill his offer to moderate world-wide postings to
sci.aquaria, if there was a more appropriate forum for guppy sagas?

When I stopped reading news.groups, I asked that some reasonable,
unbiased person undertake the creation of such a companion group.  Of
course, nothing seems to have happened.  Greg Woods was right, the
impartial people are too apathetic, or are perhaps (my theory, and
autobiography) disgusted by the childish antics recently associated
with group creation.  And now I suppose it's inappropriate for me to
undertake this myself, since your avante-garde call for votes hasn't
been properly shouted down yet.

I would have use for both of these groups, and have already posted
many articles to alt.aquaria (yes, I made alt.aquaria's
Bandwidth-Waster Hall-o-Fame) which were appropriate to each of these
groups.  I have posted scientific articles to alt.aquaria, and have
gotten absolutely no response, in spite of an estimated readership of
6000.  And I have refrained from posting some articles to alt.aquaria,
because I wished that the conversation stay on a more professional
level, and felt that a particular post would be too recreational.

>There are other people who are opposed to
>the name rec.aquaria because they believe it will attract a lower class of
>posters, since people are likely to give more thought to postings if
>they're in a scientific forum.

Yes, I am one of those people.  During the debate on sci.aquaria
creation, I recall one wan poster admitting that he'd feel intimidated
posting to a sci group.  I think his reaction is fine, and
commendable; it might even improve the quality of the net.  If it only
occurs in sci groups, well, too bad.  If it would only occur more
often everywhere, that would be great.

>If no candidate acheives the required 100 vote margin, the existing group
>alt.aquaria will remain.

I don't see how this vote should directly affect alt.aquaria at all.
If traffic on alt.aquaria whithers, then it should go away, someday.
If it doesn't, it should stay.  It is the alt way.  Thus spake alt.

>The sugar-uunet link appears to be down at the moment.

My, this bodes well for the reliability of the data you are collecting.
Oh, and do you expect us to be bound by your "analysis" of the "data"?

Oh, and one more thing.  I voted for "sci" and for "aquaria".  You
seem to be collecting data on that as well.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas
	... thou art fishified!

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (11/27/89)

In article <4598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.lonestar.org writes:
>This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
>be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:

Without commenting on the propriety of calling for this vote (I suspect
plenty of others will do that), I would like to point out some of the various
technical problems with Peter's call for votes:
	- Peter is allowing 'write-ins', but write-ins are extremely
problematic in STV and can lead to very paradoxical results.  I don't have
time to elaborate here, but the basic problem is with a ranking type of vote
being applied to a set of choices that are unknown and unused by a large
percentage of the voters.  This is even worse in STV than in MAUVE, and
people objected to it in MAUVE.
	- Peter didn't even make a legitimate attempt to include all the
names that were proposed.  Here is a partial list of omissions:
		rec.aquarium (no s)
		rec.pets.fish
		sci.aquarium
		sci.bio.marine
		sci.bio.fish
		rec.pets.aquaria
		rec.pets.aquarium
		rec.pets.aquariums
	I find it terribly amusing that the name used in the interference
vote against sci.aquaria wasn't even listed in Peter's call for votes.
	- Peter started this without opening any sort of debate first.  If
he had opened it up for debate, he could have very quickly gathered a list of
names - and even support/lack of support for the voting scheme.
	- Peter chose to use STV while there is still extremely active debate
in news.groups about the relative merits of various multiple choice voting
schemes.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons he limited the number of name
choices.  The possibility of STV paradoxes increases dramatically with the
number of names ... and his message makes it clear that he is doing this with
a pretty strong agenda.

I strongly protest to this action.  It is, in my eyes, worse than anything
that Peter has accused Richard of pulling.  If Peter wants to salvage any
pretention of a credible vote out of this, I suggest he do the following:
	- Pull the current vote.
	- Start a discussion in news.groups requesting feedback about
		the list of names and what voting scheme to use.
	- Call for a vote when the list is compiled and some concensus has
		been reached as to the voting method.  Note that the
		news.groups poll on multiple choice voting is due to be
		published any day now ...
--
--------|	Rest assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Alien   |   		would scarcely get your feet wet.	- Deteriorata

daver@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (David Robinson) (11/29/89)

In article <4598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.lonestar.org writes:
>This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
>be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:
>
>The following names are on the table for the name of the group. Some
>of the groups listed have been created, but due to various reasons none
>of them have a very wide distribution:

I sincerely hope this is a joke.

-Dave Robinson
daver@tekfdi.fdi.tek.com