[news.groups] Peter da Silva is trying to be a weasel

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (11/25/89)

In article <4598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.lonestar.org writes:
>This is a call for votes on the name of an aquarium newsgroup. The vote will
>be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system:

This is yet another whine of a sore loser, Peter.  YOU LOST.  SCI.AQUARIA
passed.  You PROMISED to shut up and go away whichever way the vote had gone.
So what's your problem NOW?!  SCI.AQUARIA is giving you nightmares?!

>	alt.aquaria

It is a minor blessing that ALT hierarchy is outside of your grabby paws and
megalomaniacal aspirations to control the look and behaviour of the NET.

>	sci.aquaria
>		It passed by the existing guidelines by a margin of 40 votes.

Just because you have a strange tendency to twist and re-interpret these
GUIDELINES (and NOT laws!) whenever it suits you, does not invalidate the
vote results or the existence of the group.

>Due to the controversy over the name, distribution is spotty.

YOU were instrumental in engineering that "controversy".  The "controversy"
was that you and a few other zealots of the "purity of SCI" and "order in the
NET" were outraged by the audacity of a suggestion that SCI may have been a
proper place for an AQUARIA group.  TOUGH.

>There are other people who are opposed to
>the name rec.aquaria because they believe it will attract a lower class of
>posters, since people are likely to give more thought to postings if
>they're in a scientific forum.

That's a very dishonest attempt to pervert the reasons so many of us were
in favour of a SCI group.  Anyone who really cares about those reasons can go
back to the discussions that took place about a month ago in news.groups.

I was hoping you were above something as deplorable as an outright lie,
Peter.  You are not.

>If no candidate acheives the required 100 vote margin, the existing group
>alt.aquaria will remain.

ALT.AQUARIA will most probably remain regardless of any votes you will hold
here.  Or do you want a "newgroup/rmgroup" war, Peter?

Your linear ordering of the "preferences" list is offensive and insulting.
This is nolonger just ALT vs. REC vs. SCI issue, if you have not yet realized
it.  *I* want rec.aquaria AND sci.aquaria to exist.  And don't even THINK
about touching ALT.aquaria.  ALT hierarchy was created specifically to avoid
the fights with petty little fascists like you.

My vote is to have you gagged, handcuffed and forced to read all postings to
soc.singles, alt.sex, talk.religion.misc, talk.politics.misc and talk.abortion
but unfortunately that may not be an option.  Can I vote to have you shut up
and GO AWAY ALREADY?!
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

Sigh. I'll just have to put !/weasel/h:k! into my kill file now, I suppose.

The purpose of a vote, name poll, whatever is to convince the majority of
Usenet admins and owners that a given proposal is well thought out and has
the broad support of the net as a whole. Richard's vote didn't do that, as
the poor distribution of sci.aquaria shows. I'm hoping this vote will redress
this omission.

If sci.aquaria wins without a massive charge of fraud, well and good. I hope
to avoid accusations of favoritism on that front.

I have been considering discarding all votes from FICC, Sugar, and Gryphon, by
the way. This should help reduce further any suggestions of impropriety. Maybe
I'll just do the tally twice.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/27/89)

And Oleg Kiselev would appear to be succeeding at it.

Flame off.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (11/27/89)

In article <1989Nov26.170433.684@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>And Oleg Kiselev would appear to be succeeding at it.

Brandon, stay out of this and keep your image of relative impartiality,
reason and objectivity intact and untarnished.  da Silva has nothing to lose,
neither does von Rospach -- they have thrown childish tantrums and started up
flame wars on a number of occasions.

Personally, at this point I don't give a fuck.  Do whatever you want and play
your political games if you have time (*I* don't).  I am tired of this
bullshit.
--

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (11/29/89)

In article <22696@gryphon.COM>, oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
> but unfortunately that may not be an option.  Can I vote to have you shut up
> and GO AWAY ALREADY?!

                    Yes vote here.

--

" Maynard) (11/29/89)

In article <22763@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>In article <1989Nov26.170433.684@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>>And Oleg Kiselev would appear to be succeeding at it.
>Brandon, stay out of this and keep your image of relative impartiality,
>reason and objectivity intact and untarnished.

Actually, his posting did nothing to tarnish that image. Brandon is one of
the most constructive individuals on the net, while you...well...uh...

>da Silva has nothing to lose,
>neither does von Rospach -- they have thrown childish tantrums and started up
>flame wars on a number of occasions.

The above comment is the same as, "Hi, there, Mr. Kettle. I'm Mr. Pot.
You're black."

>Personally, at this point I don't give a fuck.  Do whatever you want and play
>your political games if you have time (*I* don't).  I am tired of this
>bullshit.

Then I suggest you stop perpetuating it.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/30/89)

As quoted from <22763@gryphon.COM> by oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev):
+---------------
| Brandon, stay out of this and keep your image of relative impartiality,
| reason and objectivity intact and untarnished.  da Silva has nothing to lose,
| neither does von Rospach -- they have thrown childish tantrums and started up
| flame wars on a number of occasions.
+---------------

But even their flames contain some light with the heat.  I haven't seen a
whole lot of anything other than pure heat from your account; maybe two
articles were completely flame-free, and a scant handful of others were
something other than name-calling within the past month.  At which point I
begin to suspect that I'm not the only one who's getting PO'd about it.

Although I admit that I wasn't exactly in a mood of "sweetness and light"
myself at the time I posted that message.  If you're looking for someone whose
every day is a good day, you haven't found him/her yet.  :-(

++Brandon
--

dave@ccicpg.UUCP ( Dave Hill) (12/01/89)

In article <TS.GMG@splut.conmicro.com>, jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> In article <22763@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
> >In article <1989Nov26.170433.684@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>
> >Personally, at this point I don't give a fuck.  Do whatever you want and play
> >your political games if you have time (*I* don't).  I am tired of this
> >bullshit.
>
> Then I suggest you stop perpetuating it.

Oleg?  OLEG?

I wasn't aware that Oleg was the one that called for an SECOND
vote on an already created group.

I wasn't aware that Oleg also slanted that call for votes, in
no uncertain terms, away from the already created group.

I wasn't aware that Oleg was spending all his time whining and
screaming about net.purity and name-space integrity.

I wasn't aware that Oleg was part of a two person crusade to
run THEIR NET as THEY see fit.

Now you'll probably try to tell me Oleg said this:

> The above comment is the same as, "Hi, there, Mr. Kettle. I'm Mr. Pot.
> You're black."

	Dave