[news.groups] Soc.feminism

gazit@seer.usc.edu (Salit) (11/21/89)

The following posting was rejected by the moderators of soc.feminism:

# A follow up to article article <6634@columbia.edu> by Travis Lee
# Winfrey was sent to soc.men and alt.flame.

I would like to use this rejection to open a discussion about
moderated news groups.

The idea of moderated newsgroups is that if an article is not appropriate
(not to the subject, too flamy, etc.) then the moderator has the right to
reject the article.  IMO the moderator should *always* post a follow up
information because:

1) It's not a flame.  (Just a *pointer* to a flame...)
2) It gives people who wish to continue the discussion in some
   other newsgroup the ability to move it.
3) People can read the follow up and see if they agree with
   the moderator's policy.

I would like to carry a discussion about these points in news.groups.

Another subject that I would like to discuss is the moderation policy of
soc.feminism.  The moderators rejected to above article
but accepted articles like:

$This is typical of the 80s style of rhetoric where image is more
$important than substance.  The white male with the big mouth who is
$still in college acts as if his observations are superior to the quiet
$woman who has had over 12 years of job experience.  I know I need AA

In *their* opinion there is no personal attack in the above lines...

I think that the moderators don't apply uniform standards.  They posted
personal attack against me, but reject even a two lines pointer to
my article.

I would like to debate their policy in alt.flame.

Hillel                                             gazit@cs.duke.edu

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test man's
character, give him power.
                -- Abraham Lincoln

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) (11/21/89)

This is a little long.  I included excerpts from Hillel's postings to
reply to his accusations.  I am one of the moderators of soc.feminism,
so there is, of course, some bias; however, I have tried to be fair.

To put a little context behind Hillel's posting, it is necessary to
realize that the last 4 or 5 of his postings, he has asked us to put
different newsgroups as followups (which we did) and/or commented at
the end of his posting that he felt discussion should continue in
another newsgroup (and these postings were accepted).  This last
posting which was rejected came on the tail end of a thread where he
had already tried to redirect it elsewhere.  And he cannot hold us
responsible for the soc.feminism readers that refuse to take the
thread elsewhere and direct their postings back to s.f.

Hillel writes:
|The moderators rejected to above article
[a one liner statine where a followup is going]
|but accepted articles like:
|
|$This is typical of the 80s style of rhetoric where image is more
|$important than substance.  The white male with the big mouth who is
|$still in college acts as if his observations are superior to the quiet
|$woman who has had over 12 years of job experience.  I know I need AA
|
|In *their* opinion there is no personal attack in the above lines...

Technically, there isn't.  It's a generalized attack on "white males".
If you go back to Hillel's postings, you will see many similar
expositions of his that we also posted.  Some examples (all culled
from the (publically available) October Archive):

-----
$From: gazit@lear.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit)
$Subject: Re: Affirmative Action is Temporary
$
$>Should we simply give up, realizing that no solution is truly fair, thus
$>writing off as hopeless the current imbalance and praying that everything
$>works out on its own after two or three generations?  I say we must fix the
$>problem now, for not doing anything is also unfair.
$
$Do you know how to solve the problem?
$
$Why don't you start you experiment in one state and if it works (fat
$chance...) move on?  Why is it so important to you that if your sociological
$theory is wrong you would screw up *everybody*?
-----
$From: gazit@lear.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit)
$Subject: Re: how to bash feminism without really trying
$When you have several people with similar qualification,
$hire the one with the *lowest* current income.
$
$If the feminist claim that a woman with the same qualification as a man
$earns less then a law like this will give the same results as AA.
$
$This idea was not very popular between the feminists, I hope that you're
$smart enough to guess why...
-----
$From: gazit@lear.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit)
$Subject: Re: Is Affirmative Action Sexist?
$
$In article <8910200344.AA29498@uunet.uu.net>  writes:
$>However, as one begins to think about the problem, there
$>are certain taboos.  For instance, one can conclude that,
$>in a highly competitive society which also maintains rights
$>of inheritance and other strong familial connnections, it
$>is almost certain that inequality between categories of
$>families will persist for many generations.
$
$Let's assume that what you say is true (fat chance...) do you
$see the main stream of feminism as part of the solution?
[...]
$>much.  Most specifically, the power of existing elites may
$>not be seriously disturbed.
$
$The poor Jews who came 60 years ago succeeded in the American society.
$The asians refugees who come today seem to have a similar success.
$But people who know all the political theory can ignore these facts...
[...]
$>Thus, the surface fix which may work for racial minorities may
$>not work for women, because it demands acceptance of an existing
$>structure of things which some of them may be unwilling, or
$>unable, to accept.
$
$Would mind to start writing *clearly*?
$How many is "some of them"?  What can't women accept?
-----

Hillel writes:
|I think that the moderators don't apply uniform standards.  They posted
|personal attack against me, but reject even a two lines pointer to
|my article.

Hillel is, of course, unaware of the number of articles we have
rejected that contained personal attacks on him.  Of which there have
been a good number.

Soc.feminism is a place for debate and discussion, not a clearinghouse
for listing the destination for arguments.  And, as I have already
mentioned, Hillel had already made it clear he was trying to move the
discussion somewhere else.

|I would like to debate their policy in alt.flame.

I think this alone speaks volumes...
I refuse to become engaged in a flame war.

--Cindy
--
"Why do they call it a word processor?"  | ARPA:   tittle@glacier.ics.uci.edu
"Well, you've seen what a food processor | UUCP:   ucbvax!ucivax!tittle

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov20.114024.22394@paris.ics.uci.edu> tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) writes:
> [several examples of flame-like language from Hillel, all of which
> were accepted by the moderators]
>Hillel writes:
>|I think that the moderators don't apply uniform standards.  They posted
>|personal attack against me, but reject even a two lines pointer to
>|my article.
>
>Hillel is, of course, unaware of the number of articles we have
>rejected that contained personal attacks on him.  Of which there have
>been a good number.

It's also worth pointing out something else here. The last time I
checked, Hillel was the NUMBER ONE post'er to soc.feminism. Nobody had
more articles or more total words. Obviously there's no personal
prejudice against him. As Cindy points out, they have published
articles by him which, by his own standards, could be regarded as
inflammatory. I don't understand why he's suddenly crying "foul!".

The official policy of the moderators is to accept any reasonable
discussion of feminism. It seems to me that they've patiently and
reliably stuck to the charter by adopting a VERY broad meaning of
"reasonable". I don't see any lack of uniformity of standards here;
they've simply chosen not to accept an article which was not any kind
of discussion about feminism (reasonable or otherwise).

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (11/21/89)

In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>The following posting was rejected by the moderators of soc.feminism:
...........[deleted text]....
--------------

    When soc.feminism first came out I tried to read and post rational
middle of the road replies.  I quickly found most of my responses
being dropped on the floor.  I also learned that if I submitted it
enough times, due to the random rotation of their moderation, I might
eventually get a submitted response printed.  It wasn't worth it.

    They didn't want middle of the road rhetoric, or fairness in dealing
with men.  As the quoted article you included exemplifed, they wanted
a forum for man-bashing without men being allowed to participate (except
for those men who had been through retraining and were willing to man-bash
as well).

    The solution was and is still simple.  Press 'u'.

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.

In article <128159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>    They didn't want middle of the road rhetoric, or fairness in dealing
>with men.  As the quoted article you included exemplifed, they wanted
>a forum for man-bashing without men being allowed to participate (except
>for those men who had been through retraining and were willing to man-bash
>as well).

This is utter fantasy, and more than a little paranoid. Perhaps Mr
Turnbow believes that feminism equals man-bashing; perhaps he believes
this makes him "middle of the road"; perhaps he believes in Santa
Claus. Well and good. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with
soc.feminism, a group which has seen more (MANY more) anti-feminist
articles than pro-feminist ones. The only bashing has been in your
imagination, Mr Turnbow.

Some of us know better than to be so terrified by feminism. Guess
we've been "retrained", eh?

|--------------

|    When soc.feminism first came out I tried to read and post rational
|middle of the road replies.  I quickly found most of my responses
|being dropped on the floor.  I also learned that if I submitted it
|enough times, due to the random rotation of their moderation, I might
|eventually get a submitted response printed.  It wasn't worth it.

There was trouble at the beginning with getting articles.  We were
testing out for the first time software to enable multiple moderators.
We posted a number of explanations during the shake-out period as to
what was going on.  I don't believe there is a problem any more -- we
have not had any complaints about missing articles for some time now.

|    They didn't want middle of the road rhetoric, or fairness in dealing
|with men.  As the quoted article you included exemplifed, they wanted
|a forum for man-bashing without men being allowed to participate (except
|for those men who had been through retraining and were willing to man-bash
|as well).

Insofar as Hillel is one of the major posters to soc.feminism, unless
you wish to designate him as a man-basher, I suggest that your
perception is inaccurate.

--Cindy

--
So many worlds, so much to do,    | ARPA:   tittle@glacier.ics.uci.edu  \
So little done, such things to be | BITNET: cltittle@uci.bitnet         /\

mhnadel@gryphon.COM (Miriam Nadel) (11/21/89)

In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>The following posting was rejected by the moderators of soc.feminism:
>
># A follow up to article article <6634@columbia.edu> by Travis Lee
># Winfrey was sent to soc.men and alt.flame.

Hillel is leaving a few things out here.  Specifically, he wrote an article
about affirmative action and requested that followups be directed to soc.men.
Travis decided to continue the discussion in soc.feminism; since his
article was relevant to soc.feminism and did not contain personal attacks,
it was posted.  (He did state his dissatisfaction with soc.men.  However, a
personal attack is an attack against a person, not a group; hence, the
comment was left in.)

Hillel wrote a very lengthy article in response to this.  In fact, this
article was not rejected; rather, a rewrite was requested.  Specifically,
I asked him to remove approximately 100 lines of metadiscussion about where
to have the discussion, speculation about Travis's politics, and general
discussion about capitalism.  Metadiscussion is specifically contrary to
the netiquette guidelines and does nothing to further the discussion and
talk.politics.misc exists for those who wish to argue about whether capitalism
necessarily leads to insider trading.

I also pointed out that posting to a newsgroup is not primarily intended
to be a means of discussion between two individuals and if he were that
concerned with specifically debating Travis, the appropriate thing to do
was to send e-mail.

The other moderators can verify this as they received a copy of my
response to Hillel requesting the rewrite.

>I would like to use this rejection to open a discussion about
>moderated news groups.
>
>The idea of moderated newsgroups is that if an article is not appropriate
>(not to the subject, too flamy, etc.) then the moderator has the right to
>reject the article.  IMO the moderator should *always* post a follow up
>information because:
>
>1) It's not a flame.  (Just a *pointer* to a flame...)
>2) It gives people who wish to continue the discussion in some
>   other newsgroup the ability to move it.
>3) People can read the follow up and see if they agree with
>   the moderator's policy.

This argument with Hillel is not unique to this particular posting.  It has
come up with him in connection to two other articles.  I (and at least one
other moderator) think it inappropriate to post articles that merely point to
a followup having been sent to another newsgroup because they are
information free metadiscussion.

Those who are concerned with what we've rejected and what we haven't are
welcome to look at the archives of soc.feminism.  I also see no problem
with Hillel mentioning at the top of an article in soc.men that the article
was rejected for soc.feminism.

>Another subject that I would like to discuss is the moderation policy of
>soc.feminism.  The moderators rejected to above article
>but accepted articles like:
>
>$This is typical of the 80s style of rhetoric where image is more
>$important than substance.  The white male with the big mouth who is
>$still in college acts as if his observations are superior to the quiet
>$woman who has had over 12 years of job experience.  I know I need AA
>
>In *their* opinion there is no personal attack in the above lines...

I can't see how this is a personal attack, unless you're offended because
you're *the* white male with the big mouth who is still in college.
In fact, it isn't even an attack against white males - it is more a
criticism of a behavior than of any person or group.

>I think that the moderators don't apply uniform standards.  They posted
>personal attack against me, but reject even a two lines pointer to
>my article.

Since you haven't troubled to check the archives, you might not realize
that there have been several articles rejected because they contained
personal attacks against you.    Your desire to discuss this in alt.flame
might suggest a reason that you've had more articles rejected due to
personal attacks than anyone else.

Miriam Nadel
--
Not one of the 54% of Americans who think mowing the lawn is risky.

mhnadel@gryphon.COM   <any backbone site>!gryphon!mhnadel   nadel@aspen.aero.org

mhnadel@gryphon.COM (Miriam Nadel) (11/21/89)

In article <128159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>    When soc.feminism first came out I tried to read and post rational
>middle of the road replies.  I quickly found most of my responses
>being dropped on the floor.  I also learned that if I submitted it
>enough times, due to the random rotation of their moderation, I might
>eventually get a submitted response printed.  It wasn't worth it.

When soc.feminism first came out, the program that randomly mails postings
to moderators was very experimental.  (My impression is that it is now
down to "somewhat" experimental.)  Consequently, a large number of articles
were apparently sent to the bit bucket instead of to any moderator.
I do not know of any political bias on the part of the program which was
causing the problem and, in fact, people on all points of the political
spectrum were rather fed up.  (Me too!  It's more fun to have postings
even if there are occassional controversies to cause headaches.)

The problems with the moderation mechanism appear to have been ironed out.
If someone does submit something and does not either see it posted or
get a rejection notice within a reasonable period of time (allow for
propagation delays and, at least in my case, sometimes getting stuck in
a 13 hour meeting at the other end of town :-) and not getting to my
mail for a day), the thing to do is to send a note to
feminism-request@ncar.ucar.edu and we will attempt to track down what
happened.

Miriam Nadel
--

gazit@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov20.114024.22394@paris.ics.uci.edu> (Cindy Tittle) writes:

>had already tried to redirect it elsewhere.  And he cannot hold us
>responsible for the soc.feminism readers that refuse to take the
>thread elsewhere and direct their postings back to s.f.

The readers have the right to ignore my articles, put me in a KILL file etc.
I asked you to tell them where they can find my article in case *they* were
interested.  You refused to do it under the banner of "that's the
readers decision"...

>Technically, there isn't.  It's a generalized attack on "white males".
>If you go back to Hillel's postings, you will see many similar
>expositions of his that we also posted.  Some examples (all culled

My opinion is different, and I'm willing to debate the subject in an
appropriate non-moderated news group.  I don't think that news.groups
is the right place, but I'm open to other offers.

Let's assume that you are right.  What does it prove?
It proves that you published flamy articles from several posters but you
refused to post one line follow up.

>Soc.feminism is a place for debate and discussion, not a clearinghouse
>for listing the destination for arguments.

1) Please note that other moderated groups have no problem about directing
   inappropriate follow-ups.  The follow-ups from sci.military to
   talk.politics are a good example.

2) I took the article that you had rejected to some other place.
   It was *your* decision that the article was not appropriate.  I said
   "OK, I'll take it to some other place, but I want the readers know about
   it".  You decided that you don't want to post the follow-up *and* you
   don't want the readers to know that it exists in some other group.

WHY?

>--Cindy

Hillel                                                    gazit@cs.duke.edu

"I don't know what to do -- I don't like soc.men, it's way too busy,
flame-filled, is very blaming, and has interminable discussions about
guns, vans, war, etc.  I unsubscribed a long time ago, and I just
checked to make sure the same small clique of yahoos are posting there."

                    -- An appropriate article from soc.feminism.

learn@igloo.scum.com (Bill Haroldmegrhondapooh Vajk) (11/21/89)

In article <21323@usc.edu>, gazit@seer.usc.edu (Salit) writes:

> I think that the moderators don't apply uniform standards.  They posted
> personal attack against me, but reject even a two lines pointer to
> my article.

Did you really expect THEM to "Lower Their Standards" for your
form of justice ? :-)

Bill.etc

oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (11/22/89)

In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
[He doesn't like it that something he posted was rejected]

You really have no cause for complaint.  The bottom line is that
a moderated news group is a censored group, and the moderators
censor as to their whim.  That whim may or may not be accurately
described in the group's charter -- it doesn't matter as long as
the moderator believes that he or she is doing the right thing.

When you submit to a moderated group, you are applying for permission
to post, and have no rights in the matter.  If you don't like
their decisions, then don't post to the group.  Moderated groups
are and "us" vs "them" phenomenon.  It's a conversation between
"us", without having to listen to "them."   "Them" is defined
as that class of people who don't post like we want them to post.

This is not a condemnation of moderated groups -- I read a number
of them.  But you must remember that open discussion is not
possible, and is not desired by the moderators or by most of the
readers.   Basically, it doesn't matter what justification is
given for rejecting an article; if you don't meet the moderator's
wishes in a post, you don't meet the moderator's wishes. It's
as simple as that.  The only reason to bother with a justification
is if you are planning to modify your thoughts to bring them
into accord with the moderator's desires.

Bill Oliver

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (11/22/89)

In article <48571@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>This is utter fantasy, and more than a little paranoid. Perhaps Mr
>Turnbow believes that feminism equals man-bashing; perhaps he believes
>this makes him "middle of the road";
-----------

I know what was there when the group was first created.  There was
alot of hostility toward men, and extra filters were applied toward
postings by any man.  The group was created because out of an emotional
outburst against men posting in soc.women -- and how some women would
like a safe forum to discuss woman things among themselves.  Now the flavor
of the group may have changed since then, but that was definitely the
impression I got at the time.  As for my opinions on feminism, I notice
that people in soc.feminism have mentioned Drawing Down in the Moon.
In chapter 12, p339, she quotes another man who was organizing men
together for spiritual purposes:

	"...'the continual lumping together of all men as the enemy' which he
had previously only identified as a 'separatist movement' is very
prevalent throught the feminist movement.'

	It goes on to tell about the effects on the men exposed to such, but
that isn't appropriate here [of course I wonder about the appropriateness
of the topic at all, but -- "Oh well..."].

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/22/89)

In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>The following posting was rejected by the moderators of soc.feminism:
>
># A follow up to article article <6634@columbia.edu> by Travis Lee
># Winfrey was sent to soc.men and alt.flame.
>
>I would like to use this rejection to open a discussion about
>moderated news groups.

The issue should be placed in context.  Gazit is a religious
anti-feminist who specializes in sophistry and personal insult, and a
frequent contributor to the cesspool known as alt.flame.  In my
opinion, none of the messages he has ever submitted to soc.feminism
deserved to be passed on to the group, and the moderators have done the
net a disservice by permitting such inane crap to appear in their
group.  That they finally reached their limit should come as a surprise
to no one.

"The Diabolonian position is new to the London playgoer of today, but not to
 lovers of serious literature.  From Prometheus to the Wagnerian Siegfried,
 some enemy of the gods, unterrified champion of those oppressed by them, has
 always towered among the heroes of the loftiest poetry."
    - Shaw, "On Diabolonian Ethics"

maslak@unix.SRI.COM (Valerie Maslak) (11/22/89)

In article <48571@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>In article <128159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>>    They didn't want middle of the road rhetoric, or fairness in dealing
>>with men.  As the quoted article you included exemplifed, they wanted
>>a forum for man-bashing without men being allowed to participate (except
>>for those men who had been through retraining and were willing to man-bash
>>as well).
>
>This is utter fantasy, and more than a little paranoid. Perhaps Mr
>Turnbow believes that feminism equals man-bashing; perhaps he believes
>this makes him "middle of the road"; perhaps he believes in Santa
>Claus. Well and good. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with
>soc.feminism, a group which has seen more (MANY more) anti-feminist
>articles than pro-feminist ones. The only bashing has been in your
>imagination, Mr Turnbow.

 Thanks, Richard. I agree. The fact is that there was a small
problem initially in the moderation process, which resulted in some
articles being dropped. I have not been moderating, although I was
proposed as a moderator, for reasons I won't go into, and the other
moderators have picked up my share of articles. There have been no
problems that I have been aware of since the first few weeks of the
group. People are told WHY their articles are rejected.

Men are not only allowed to participate, they are, as Richard says,
the majority posters. Hillel has been a heavy poster, and can
hardly complain that he is being discriminated against from what I
can see.

 Valerie Maslak

In article <128202@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>In article <48571@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>>
>>This is utter fantasy, and more than a little paranoid. Perhaps Mr
>>Turnbow believes that feminism equals man-bashing; perhaps he believes
>>this makes him "middle of the road";
>-----------
>
>I know what was there when the group was first created.  There was
>alot of hostility toward men, and extra filters were applied toward
>postings by any man.  The group was created because out of an emotional
>outburst against men posting in soc.women -- and how some women would
>like a safe forum to discuss woman things among themselves.  Now the flavor

This does not resemble any of my recollections of the founding of
the group. "Safe forum" was an issue in various discussions of the
erstwhile group soc.women.only....it has never come up re
soc.feminism. Moderation was an obvious solution to the heat that
the subject of feminism generates, but personal attacks are not accepted no
matter who they come from, male or female. A cursory examination of
the contents of the group would show Mr. Turnbow that if his
articles were rejected, it was not because he is (or appears to be
at any rate) male.

I have no idea what "extra filters" Mr. Turnbow is talking about.
There were none discussed in ANY of the discussions about the group
that I participated in.

Valerie Maslak

In article <10657@thorin.cs.unc.edu> oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) writes:
>In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>[He doesn't like it that something he posted was rejected]
>
>You really have no cause for complaint.  The bottom line is that
>a moderated news group is a censored group, and the moderators
>censor as to their whim.  That whim may or may not be accurately
>described in the group's charter -- it doesn't matter as long as
>the moderator believes that he or she is doing the right thing.

 Precisely because of the likelihood that the moderators would be
accused of censorhip on political or philosophical grounds, ALL
articles to soc.feminism are archived, whether they are actually
approved by a moderator for posting or not. The moderators of
soc.feminism have bent over backwards to be fair and impartial.

Valerie Maslak

gazit@lear.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (11/22/89)

In article <22520@gryphon.COM> mhnadel@gryphon.COM (Miriam Nadel) writes:
>This argument with Hillel is not unique to this particular posting.  It has
>come up with him in connection to two other articles.  I (and at least one
>other moderator) think it inappropriate to post articles that merely point to
>a followup having been sent to another newsgroup because they are

The claim that a pointer carries no information is wrong from
data-structure point view.

>information free metadiscussion.

Metadiscussion?!

That's how you call an two-lines article with no follow-up?

A very interesting definition I must say...

In article <5973@unix.SRI.COM> maslak@unix.UUCP (Valerie Maslak) writes:
> Precisely because of the likelihood that the moderators would be
>accused of censorhip on political or philosophical grounds, ALL
>articles to soc.feminism are archived, whether they are actually
>approved by a moderator for posting or not. The moderators of

My claim is different:
The moderators have the right to reject any article they like.  If they reject
an article the debate can still go on in another group.  By refusing to tell
the readers that there is a follow-up they reduce the probability for
an on-line continuing debate in *another* newsgroup.

I agree that the article will be two weeks later in the archive,
I just can't see what difference does it make.

oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (11/23/89)

In article <5973@unix.SRI.COM> maslak@unix.UUCP (Valerie Maslak) writes:
>In article <10657@thorin.cs.unc.edu> oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) writes:
>>In article <21323@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>>[He doesn't like it that something he posted was rejected]
>>
>>You really have no cause for complaint.  The bottom line is that
>>a moderated news group is a censored group, and the moderators
>>censor as to their whim.  That whim may or may not be accurately
>>described in the group's charter -- it doesn't matter as long as
>>the moderator believes that he or she is doing the right thing.
>
> Precisely because of the likelihood that the moderators would be
>accused of censorhip on political or philosophical grounds, ALL
>articles to soc.feminism are archived, whether they are actually
>approved by a moderator for posting or not. The moderators of
>soc.feminism have bent over backwards to be fair and impartial.

You miss my point.  I did not state that the moderators were "fair"
or "unfair," by whatever criteria you decide to use as a judge of
fairness (obviously, Hillel Gazit did not agree with those criteria).
Whether or not you are "fair" has nothing to do with whether or not
you are a censor.  If you reject articles on the basis of content,
or demand that the content be changed to agree with your specifications,
then you are a censor by defintion.

As Miriam Nadel wrote in her justification of rejecting the
article:

	Hillel wrote a very lengthy article in response to this.
	In fact, this article was not rejected; rather, a rewrite
	was requested.  Specifically, I asked him to remove
	approximately 100 lines of metadiscussion about where
	to have the discussion, speculation about Travis's
	politics, and general discussion about capitalism.

Thus, the article would be accepted only if unacceptable political
statements were removed and only if the direction of discussion
stayed along approved paths, however defined by the moderator.

Again, I stated that Mr. Gazit has no basis for complaint. I have
no doubt that you believe that you are fair in your decisions as to
what to allow and not allow in your newsgroup.  My only point is that
the question of "fairness" is rather unimportant -- since you define
what is and isn't "fair" by what you censor, then all of your actions
are by definition "fair."

As I also stated, I am not opposed to moderated groups, and I do
not oppose soc.feminsm.  If Mr. Gazit does not like how your
group is censored, he is free to post to other groups instead.
However, you should not claim that the group is not censored.
That is hypocrisy.  And if you claim that your group is not censored
on the basis of political statements, then you contradict the
moderator who demanded the changes be made, specifically on the
basis of political statements.

And you should not claim that I stated that the group is not "fair."
That is an untruth.  I stated that, as far as Mr. Gazit's complaint
was concerned, it did not matter whether the group was "fair" or not.
A "fair" censor is no less a censor for being fair, just as a
"benign" dictator is no less a dictator for being benign.

Bill Oliver

Not one of the 52% of Americans who believe that warrantless searches
are justified to combat drugs .

[Harper's Index, Dec '89]

(apologies to Ms. Nadel)

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (11/23/89)

Valerie --

    You stated that rejection letters were sent back to the the authors
for anything rejected.  If this has always been the case -- I never
received anything back -- then the problem with extra filters may
have been based on the faulty software other have already mentioned.

    Yes, I looked through the group recently, and couldn't find any
evidence of man-bashing.  The flavor of the group does seem different
now than what I remembered.

    Finally, I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they are not out
to get me!  Sorry if I stomped on anyone's toes based on my memories
of past topics and troublesome X-version moderation software.

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.

Moderators are not here to give you an audience.  We volunteer our time
to give the readers of our groups something with a better signal to noise
ratio.  It is for those readers that we volunteer our time, and if we
don't serve them well, they can unsubscribe.

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (11/26/89)

In article <51943@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Moderators are not here to give you an audience.  We volunteer our time
>to give the readers of our groups something with a better signal to noise
>ratio.  It is for those readers that we volunteer our time, and if we
>don't serve them well, they can unsubscribe.

They can also post to a non-moderated related group (or misc.misc) or
offer to moderate another newsgroup themselves.  I suppose one could
offer to moderate/create a group in ALT, too.

There are many options.

Terry

--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

charleen@deimos.ADS.COM (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (12/01/89)

In article <9038@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>The issue should be placed in context.  Gazit is a religious
>anti-feminist who specializes in sophistry and personal insult, and a
>frequent contributor to the cesspool known as alt.flame.

Coming from you, Timmy, that's a bloomin' character reference.

Charleen