[news.groups] CALL FOR VOTES: alt.holiday.suicide

bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) (12/01/89)

This is a call for votes on a seasonal news group devoted to the discussion of
how to self-destructivly deal with the stresses that are produced by the holiday
season that is now upon us.

The following is a list of possible names and the reasons why they have
been consider :

alt.suicide
   Idealy the news group would be : alt.suicide.holiday or
   alt.sucicide.holiday-season. This, is the correct way to name they group, but
   because of the time of year, I thought it might be nice produce a quaint
   little quirk in the naming scheme from the beginning.

alt.christmas-time.suicide
   We feel that this name is too limiting.  Let's face it, some people
   only feel like killing themselves after they see how long the lines to
   the return departments really are.  Similarly, some people just don't
   like turkey all that much.

alt.holiday.self-inflicted-gun-wound
alt.holiday.hung-by-the-neck-until-dead
alt.holiday.hari-kari
alt.holiday.<name you method of self-disposal>
   All of these name are perfectly fine.  Initially, there will not be
   enough volume in the news group to justify the creation of all these
   seperate, but equaly valid news groups.  The questions concerning the
   effectiveness of one method of self-destruction over another would
   be addressed with a new user article at the beginning of each news group.
   This would prevent excessive cross posting.

The discussion period will last two weeks and will end on December 15, 1989.
Discussion about the news group will probably vary.  The some of the more
important questions that need to be addressed by the net include :
"Where do you get off even suggesting this news group",
"Suicide is illegal, why should we create a news group about illegal acts?",
"I bet their going to yank your account for this one, eh Bryden?",
"How will we deal with suicide chain letters and their effect at .edu sites?".

Some issues like cross posting to misc.kids and alt.recovery have clear answers.
Desperate programers who post things like "Tell me the answer to this, or I'll
kill myself" will probably be laughed at and promptly told to RTFM.  People
wishing to know how to handle their estate should post to misc.legal.  Deep
philosophical discussions will be asked to move to some other more appropriate
news group.  Also, people wishing to know if a teflon-coated, hollow-point, 9mm
bullet will do the trick should cross post to rec.guns.  this is a news group
about tips and suggestions gained through experience.

Voting:
The vote will be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system.  The vote will be
held through the 15th of January 1990 and it will start on the 15th of December
1989.  A reminder will be posted sometime near the 15th of December 1989. Votes
recieved before the 15th of December 1989 and after 15th of January 1990 will
not be counted.

Cheers,

Chris

PS: Don't let the credit card bill get you down.
--
bryden@vax1.acs.udel.edu             ...{unidot,uunet}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!bryden
Copyright 1989 Chris Bryden permission granted for non-profit reproduction only

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (12/01/89)

Congratulations!  You have solved the long sought answer to the question
of best mangement of newsgroup moderation:  The ultimate moderated group,
in which each contributor is guaranteed to post exactly once!

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com, amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

sdroppers@pbs.uucp (12/01/89)

In article <5197@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) writes:
> This is a call for votes on a seasonal news group devoted to the discussion of
> how to self-destructivly deal with the stresses that are produced by the holiday
> season that is now upon us.

[Most of news item removed...]
> --
> bryden@vax1.acs.udel.edu             ...{unidot,uunet}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!bryden
> Copyright 1989 Chris Bryden permission granted for non-profit reproduction only
>                  expectation is the mother of disappointment
Flame On!
Get lost, if you really want a suicide hot line group then lets make a serious
proposal, otherwise lets not joke about the pressures of the holiday seasone.
flame off...
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) (12/01/89)

In article <5197@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) writes:

>This is a call for votes on a seasonal news group devoted to the
>discussion of how to self-destructivly deal with the stresses that
>are produced by the holiday season that is now upon us.

Sounds good to me, but where would I post questions regarding the
ethical implications of buying a gun, ammo etc. on credit and then
killing myself before the bill arrives ?

"every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part
 that wonders what the part that isn't thinking
 isn't thinking of"
	- they might be weenies

Gilbert W. Pilz Jr.       gil@banyan.com

lpb@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (louis.p.barbuscio) (12/02/89)

    Subject: CALL FOR VOTES: alt.holiday.suicide

>The discussion period will last two weeks and will end on December 15, 1989.

>Voting:
>The vote will be held by the Single Transferrable Vote system.
>The vote will be held through the 15th of January 1990 and it will start
>on the 15th of December

Could we move these dates up?  I was planning on killing myself on
New Years Eve and I'd like to see how the vote comes out.
Lou Barbuscio, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ, lpb@cbnewsi 201-949-7687
Disclaimer:                           |  "Happy the man whose mouth (or
After 34 years I'm not sure if I speak|   keyboard) brings him no grief "
for the company or it speaks for me.  |                 Sirach 14:1

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (12/03/89)

>Flame On!
>Get lost, if you really want a suicide hot line group then lets make a serious
>proposal, otherwise lets not joke about the pressures of the holiday seasone.
>flame off...

Ooops...there goes one now!

Time to get out the train schedules.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade         | bzs@world.std.com
1330 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202 | {xylogics,uunet}world!bzs

In article <624@banyan.UUCP> gil@banyan.com writes:
>In article <5197@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) writes:
>
>Sounds good to me, but where would I post questions regarding the
>ethical implications of buying a gun, ammo etc. on credit and then
>killing myself before the bill arrives ?
I think that would go to talk.politics.misc, or talk.politics.guns.
But the real answer is that it's OK as long as your insurance is paid
up and the suicide clause has expired.

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?