[news.groups] Call for Discussion: talk.lists

jeremy@klahhane.stat.washington.edu (Jeremy York) (12/02/89)

In article <472@scorn.sco.COM> davidbe@uunet.uu.net (The Cat in the Hat) writes:

>Other possible names would be: "talk.statistics" and "talk.surveys".  These
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^            ^^^^^^^

Stick with talk.lists.

Both 'statistic' and 'survey' have technical meanings that would result
in confusion between the new group and sci.math.stat...

Three cheers for talk.lists, and get this crud out of our already
overcrowded newsgroups.

jeremy@klahhane.stat.washington.edu

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (12/05/89)

jeremy@klahhane.UUCP () writes:
>Three cheers for talk.lists, and get this crud out of our already
>overcrowded newsgroups.

I'm not convinced that talk.lists would get the lists out of the
newsgroups they're currently in.  Perhaps people would crosspost to
talk.lists, but I'd still expect them to post to the group most
appropriate to the list being discussed.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Driggs, Idaho -- cultural hub of the west!
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \