[news.groups] Call for Discussion: removal of group rec.mag.fsfnet

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/02/89)

With all the groups getting created left and right, how about if
we get rid of some of the groups no longer needed? rec.mag.fsfnet
for instance, has little readership, effectively no traffic, and
is taking a few bytes up of storage at thousands of sites. Let's
rmgroup it! Let's do the same with a few more! (like comp.sys.ridge).

I don't think a procedure was ever established for removing a group,
so how about this: we'll talk about it for a few weeks, and if no
one strenuously objects, and no traffic starts up in rec.mag.fsfnet,
a rmgroup will be issued?

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Nationalism is an infantile disease.  It is the measles of mankind.

matoh@sssab.se (Mats Ohrman) (12/04/89)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

>I don't think a procedure was ever established for removing a group,
>so how about this: we'll talk about it for a few weeks, and if no
>one strenuously objects, and no traffic starts up in rec.mag.fsfnet,
>a rmgroup will be issued?

r.m.f is the place for a regularily occuring posting of a short story
magazine, which, just as rec.mag.otherrealms, has outgrown its mailing
list.

It is also one that I personally appreciate (also like Otherrealms).

Because of that nature, postings is far apart, but they do exist. I
think it is very probable that there will be other similar groups for
"electronic magazines" that do outgrow their mailing lists. Look at
"Athene" or "Quanta" (Which btw impressed me very much with the
quality its first issue).

I don't think it is a very good idea with postings like:

   "Yes, this group exists and is active, but you have to wait <n> weeks
    for the next issue of <nn>"

just to keep those that don't know anything about the group happy. :-) :-)

(Kind of reminds me of:
  "You have to spend the whole budget or it will be cut next year..." :-)  )

                      _        _
disclaimer: [dis'kleimo] (s:) fornekande, dementi.
       _                            :  matoh@sssab.se
/ Mats Ohrman,                      :  {mcvax,munnari,uunet}!sunic!sssab!matoh
Scandinavian System Support AB,     :  Phone:  Nat.     013-11 16 60
Box 535, S-581 06 Linkoping, Sweden :          Int.  +46 13 11 16 60

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (12/05/89)

a.e.mossberg writes:
 > With all the groups getting created left and right, how about if
 > we get rid of some of the groups no longer needed? rec.mag.fsfnet
 > for instance, has little readership, effectively no traffic, and
 > is taking a few bytes up of storage at thousands of sites. Let's
 > rmgroup it!

This rec.mag.fsfnet isn't in our active file here.  It is in the
newsgroups file though.

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (12/05/89)

  Most of the rec.mag groups are limited to one posting per month, and
are electronic magazines which have gotten too big for their mailing
lists. It is a good use of bandwidth to make these postings, since the
mail imposes a larger load at some point. I will let some of the
backbone people comment on where that point is, but it's lower than the
readership of these groups.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec4.103151.22749@sssab.se> matoh@sssab.se (Mats Ohrman) writes:
>r.m.f is the place for a regularily occuring posting of a short story
>magazine, which, just as rec.mag.otherrealms, has outgrown its mailing
>list.

Regularly occuring? The last posting in the group was about a month ago
(it's no longer anywhere around here) and was not fsf. It was some
question that had nothing to do with it, if I recall correctly. The
electronic magazine, if it still exists, could better be put directly
in rec.mag  Having a separate group for a magazine which appears less
than monthly doesn't make any sense. Maybe I should call for votes for
a rec.mag.sfer ust because it comes out monthly?

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
The intellect of man is forced to choose