[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.lang.cobol

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (11/20/89)

About all major programming languages have their own newsgroup,
but Cobol has not. Yet is the Cobol probably the most common
language used in the software industry. The reason that Cobol
doesn't have a newsgroup are quite obvious. Usenet has its
roots in technical environments where Cobol is little used.

But times are changing. Usenet are spreading into administrative
environments. And technical and administrative are getting
closer to each other. Myself, an electrical engineer, had to
learn some Cobol for my current project. And, undoubtedly
the number of Cobol articles in comp.lang.misc are increasing.
OK, it's no deluge of Cobol articles, but what about it?

According the guidelines I calling for discussion now, and
will call for votes (unless I'm severely discouraged) December
3rd and close the vote on Christmas Eve.

Cobol is not dead, it just smells funny.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (Bill Sommerfeld) (11/21/89)

Would this newsgroup be gatewayed with the (currently inactive)

[ :-) ]
--
Henry Spencer is so much of a  |    Bill Sommerfeld at MIT/Project Athena
minimalist that I often forget |    sommerfeld@mit.edu

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) (11/21/89)

In article <480@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
>About all major programming languages have their own newsgroup,
>but Cobol has not.

Yeah, ain't it great?

>Yet is the Cobol probably the most common
>language used in the software industry. The reason that Cobol
>doesn't have a newsgroup are quite obvious. Usenet has its
>roots in technical environments where Cobol is little used.

USENET is also (at least for me) an instrument for INCREASING
the level of computer technology -- not reducing it.  I would
hate to see the net being used as a means of saddling some
person with COBOL -- when the project could and probably should
be re-coded in something a little more modern.

>But times are changing. Usenet are spreading into administrative
>environments. And technical and administrative are getting
>closer to each other. Myself, an electrical engineer, had to
>learn some Cobol for my current project. And, undoubtedly
>the number of Cobol articles in comp.lang.misc are increasing.
>OK, it's no deluge of Cobol articles, but what about it?

Had to?  Or was that simply the path of least resistance?  I have
had to fight previous battles to have some things done correctly,
even if that means re-coding entire sections of code.  Spend a
little time and consider the future...

>According the guidelines I calling for discussion now, and
>will call for votes (unless I'm severely discouraged) December
>3rd and close the vote on Christmas Eve.

Please don't.

>Cobol is not dead, it just smells funny.

Yes, an unpleasant fact of the industry.  But please, don't help
propogate this foolishness.

>Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se

--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | X Windows: Power Tools */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug    | for Power Fools        */

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (11/21/89)

In article <480@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
>About all major programming languages have their own newsgroup,
>but Cobol has not. Yet is the Cobol probably the most common
>language used in the software industry.

As a former COBOL programmer (hey, I needed the money), I second the
idea, but I think it should be named comp.lang.obsolete.  But I'm not
wedded to the name: comp.bugs.cobol is also acceptable.

Visual aid for the humor impaired:
	:-)

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/21/89)

Doesn't the inet distribution carry INFO-COBOL?

heh heh.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade         | bzs@world.std.com
1330 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202 | {xylogics,uunet}world!bzs

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (11/22/89)

In article <480@enea.se>, sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:

> Cobol is not dead, it just smells funny.
> --
Let's face it, COBOL is alive and well in many DP shops around
the world.

I for one would welcome a group as such. Perhaps those who
love to bash cobol would rather be saddled with RPG.

At least cobol is non-proprietary. Let's give it a break and
let those who are interested have a forum on the net.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (11/22/89)

< warning...mild flames *and* content mixed in...no naughty words... >

news.groups's own smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) said:
-In article <480@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
Erland>		[ asking for a COBOL group ]
Kurt>		[ insulting comments on COBOL ]

You're right Kurt.  Since you don't like COBOL, and because you have no
use for it, it shouldn't be used.

Never mind all those companies that have thousands to millions of dollars
invested in COBOL programs *that work*(1).  Never mind that Erland had said
that his new job required he use COBOL(2).  And never mind that some people
might actually *like* COBOL.

Never mind all that.  Just because you don't like the language, that's good
enough for me.

Footnotes follow:
(1) - I define programs that work as doing what they are designed to do.
      Emacs is a great text editor (among other things) but a lousy
      accounting package, and probably not such a hot word processor.

(2) - Talk to me about fighting your boss about "re-coding sections of code"
      when your boss understands the COBOL program (s)he's asking you to
      modify, but doesn't understand C.  Or when you're working on a system
      that doesn't have a decent C compiler (Usenet is not all Unix...).

(2a) - Talk to me about fighting your boss about "re-coding sections of code"
       when you get a real job.

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

" -- they're normal.  terrifyingly, appallingly normal -- like they've gone
 through normal and come out the other side." - neil gaiman in _Sandman_ #11

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (11/22/89)

The standard spiel is that you need to show sufficient interest, either
by having a large mailing list or by showing a deluge of articles about
the topic in another newsgroup.  Or do we do that anymore? (seriously)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/23/89)

Yeah, everybody likes to flame COBOL but it's the most important language
in the commercial world so we should be nice and respect it.  So what?
Does it need a newsgroup?  Commercial significance doesn't mean squat; is
there anything to SAY about it?  If there's a need for yet another
newsgroup, where has the discussion been hiding out so far?

Looks like just another in the spate of newsgroups proposed for the sake of
trying to get the newsgroup hierarchy to span the entire universe of human
endeavor, regardless of whether anyone has anything to say.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...`Just say no' to mindless dogma.

popeye@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (ken.a.irwin) (11/23/89)

This maybe an improper forum but this can not go unflamed, the squimish are
encouraged to hit the "n" key.

In article <1989Nov21.013021.4170@eng.umd.edu>, smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) writes:
> In article <480@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
> >About all major programming languages have their own newsgroup,
> >but Cobol has not.
>
> Yeah, ain't it great?

Oh I don't know, it seems kinda stupid to me to have a group dedicated to
a commercialy insignificant language like Pascal and not COBOL. And it seems
we have a group dedicated to BAL, and I would say that about 99% of the
machines running 370 assy have a majority of thier code written in COBOL.
And we also have a group for the almost-as-antique FORTRAN. And since all
the chip makers tell us how great RISC technology is, why is it that
COBOL, the languge that most closly matches the RISC instruction set, is
so frowned upon?

> >Yet is the Cobol probably the most common
> >language used in the software industry. The reason that Cobol
> >doesn't have a newsgroup are quite obvious. Usenet has its
> >roots in technical environments where Cobol is little used.
>
> USENET is also (at least for me) an instrument for INCREASING
> the level of computer technology -- not reducing it.  I would
> hate to see the net being used as a means of saddling some
> person with COBOL -- when the project could and probably should
> be re-coded in something a little more modern.

Why on earth would you recode a basic banking or insurance packages in a
"more modern" languge, like what? Maybe C? tons of record reads and writes,
huge amounts of report generation in fixed fields, shitloads of whole number
arithmatic, maintainable, fast? Or maybe you are one who claims how slow
COBOL is, slow to code: yes, slow to compile: depends on the compiler, slow
to run: only if the company who wrote the compiler is a bunch of dweebs.
COBOL is english language assembly and produces fast efficient object code
with source code a 6 year old could follow, don't count on it going away
any time soon, it will be around long after the revised edition of K&R E++
is printed by Prentice, Hall & Webster. 1/2 :-)

> >But times are changing. Usenet are spreading into administrative
> >environments. And technical and administrative are getting
> >closer to each other. Myself, an electrical engineer, had to
> >learn some Cobol for my current project. And, undoubtedly
> >the number of Cobol articles in comp.lang.misc are increasing.
> >OK, it's no deluge of Cobol articles, but what about it?
>
> Had to?  Or was that simply the path of least resistance?  I have
> had to fight previous battles to have some things done correctly,
> even if that means re-coding entire sections of code.  Spend a
> little time and consider the future...

Gee, I'm sure Chase Manhattan would love to hire you to recode thier gigabytes
of COBOL source, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind the measly few billion it
would cost them. Why don't you spend a little time and consider the present.

> >According the guidelines I calling for discussion now, and
> >will call for votes (unless I'm severely discouraged) December
> >3rd and close the vote on Christmas Eve.
>
> Please don't. [...listen to this guy]
>
> >Cobol is not dead, it just smells funny.
>
> Yes, an unpleasant fact of the industry.  But please, don't help
> propogate this foolishness.

May your bank/mortgage company/insurance company/payroll service company be
the first to completly rewrite in Pascal and pad your bill to recoup the costs.
COBOL is alive and well and controlling your money, and your companys money,
and your governments money. If I never write another COBOL program in my life it
will be too soon, but to the thousands that do, they should be represented on
the net.

There may or may not be the readership justification for a COBOL group
at present, but this is a case where a group should be created to fill an
obvious hole in the name space. "comp" groups are the most widely carried on the
net and to not represent such a commercialy important language, in my opinion,
is a mistake. There are plenty of groups that have almost no daily traffic but
are subscribed to by large numbers of people, a place to post questions and
get answers when needed, where you don't have to wade through hundreds of
articles and unsubscribe because you don't have time for it. This type of group
should be created, it's why many companys bother to carry this stuff, so their
people can get answers to their questions.

> >Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
> /* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | X Windows: Power Tools */

Ken A. Irwin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Indian Hill 6G410
Naperville, Illinois
(708) 979-4578
...!ihlpa!kai

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/23/89)

As quoted from <5643@holston.UUCP> by barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk):
+---------------
| In article <480@enea.se>, sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
| > Cobol is not dead, it just smells funny.
|
| Let's face it, COBOL is alive and well in many DP shops around
| the world.
|
| I for one would welcome a group as such. Perhaps those who
| love to bash cobol would rather be saddled with RPG.
|
| At least cobol is non-proprietary. Let's give it a break and
| let those who are interested have a forum on the net.
+---------------

Agreed.  I use COBOL as little as possible myself, but am quite aware of the
massive effort required to take a working COBOL program suite and convert it
to another language (having had to do so a few months ago).  Besides which,
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  People who think that the whole world
should convert megabytes upon megabytes' worth of COBOL programs to some other
language just to make *them* happy have a major misunderstanding of reality.

I'm neutral on a COBOL group, but am very much AGAINST the anti-COBOL flames
that greeted this Call for Discussion.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

bret@codonics.COM (Bret Orsburn) (11/23/89)

In article <3304@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> popeye@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (ken.a.irwin) writes:
>[...] And since all
>the chip makers tell us how great RISC technology is, why is it that
>COBOL, the languge that most closly matches the RISC instruction set, is
>so frowned upon?

Huh?

And elsewhere in the same posting asserts:
>COBOL is english language assembly [...]

and again, huh?

[I will not flame, I will not flame, I will not flame,...] :->

Wait! I get it! This is some gifted satirist's *impression* of a COBOL
programmer!

[I flamed!] :-<
--

bret@codonics.com
uunet!codonics!bret

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (11/25/89)

In article <1989Nov22.173505.24650@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> Yeah, everybody likes to flame COBOL but it's the most important language
> in the commercial world so we should be nice and respect it.  So what?
> Does it need a newsgroup?  Commercial significance doesn't mean squat; is
> there anything to SAY about it?  If there's a need for yet another

I'm sure that there's just as much to say about COBOL as there is about
any other language.

There are at least as many different Cobol's running on as many different
architectures as any other compiler.

How much is there to say about prolog or fourth?

I'm not married to COBOL, but when I get file specs from US Govt fiscal
intermediaries, they're not in pascal or modula2, they're COBOL!

All I'm saying is COBOL has it's place and should have it's own newsgroup
for exchange of information.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP
Lake Charles, La. 70602 | ----------------------------------------
318-439-5984            | "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"-JC

john@compugen. (John Beaudin) (11/25/89)

I program in cobol and woulld appreciate a question/answer forum on
technical problems and suggestions for improving the language. The
cobol i use (AcuCobol) already has built-in windows and a symbolic
source code debugger. That's a lot more than a lot of the other
languages appearing in their own newsgroups can say.

IMHO, restricting news group existence to those with snob appeal
is just another kind of book burning. I want comp.lang.cobol
to exist and flourish.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/26/89)

In <2093@compugen.> john@compugen. (John Beaudin) writes:
John> IMHO, restricting news group existence to those with snob appeal
John> is just another kind of book burning.

That's quite a lofty humble opinion you're toting around with you.
Forgetting "to those with snob appeal" for a moment, since that was
not really the motivation behind hideous book burning attrocities,
just how is not creating a newsgroup as evil as burning of books[1]?
Of the people who have spoken out against COBOL, I have not seen
anyone of them say, "It can't be discussed at all!"

John> I want comp.lang.cobol to exist and flourish.

Fine.  I probably won't end of voting either way, unless you decide to
continue with these Third Reich accusations.

-
[1] If I burn my copy of Catcher in the Rye, it's my own business.
There are plenty to go around in the world.  The attrocities I speak
of were the forceful entry into private homes to obtain books to burn,
and the burning of public books, which was an attempt at censorship of
the thoughts of the entire populace.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (11/26/89)

In article <2093@compugen.> john@compugen. (John Beaudin) writes:
>The cobol i use (AcuCobol) already has built-in windows and a symbolic
>source code debugger. That's a lot more than a lot of the other
>languages appearing in their own newsgroups can say.

Is that really an important consideration for a language's presence in
comp.lang.*?  Nonsense (particularly when discussing completely
non-standard extensions to a language, patched on in an attempt to
prolong its lifetime).  Personally, my COBOL experience is with the
LCD variety, writing code that has to work on a system that's *almost*
ANSI-74 compatible.

>IMHO, restricting news group existence to those with snob appeal
>is just another kind of book burning. I want comp.lang.cobol
>to exist and flourish.

"Snob appeal"?  Forth?  Clu?  Rexx?  Get serious!  The reason there is
no group for COBOL is that no one cared.  There just hasn't been any
overwhelming volume of COBOL-related discussion going on, probably
because it's not popular among netters.  In fact, the only mention of
COBOL I've seen in months was "can anybody recommend a COBOL-to-C
translator?".

  I think you're getting defensive for no reason.  People may be
taking the opportunity to put down COBOL, but that doesn't mean
they're trying to force it off the net.  A few idle netters taking
potshots at a newsgroup proposal is not book burning.  Relax, switch
to decaf, and if that doesn't work, take it to alt.conspiracy.

(ps: your address is bogus.  Tell your news administrator to fix it)
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

juliar@hpcll17.HP.COM (Julia Rodriguez) (11/28/89)

There is a lot of new language development going on for COBOL.  I am a member
of X3J4, the committee responsible for development of the ANSI/ISO standard for
COBOL.

The committee completed a full revision of the standard in 1985.
It completed an addendum to add intrinsic functions to the standard this year.

In addition, the committee has approved work items for 3 more addenda: a
corrections addendum fixing minor errors introduced by the 1985 standard,
an addendum adding functionality for internationalization, and one for Forms
Interface Management.

The committee has just begun work on the next full revision of the standard.
The current schedule contains a completion date of 1999, but I think that the
standard won't be out until 200x.  I expect that COBOL will be alive and well
at that time.

Julia Rodriguez

wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) (11/29/89)

Sure, why not?  Especially now that ANSI COBOL '85 is starting to get some
widespread use (such as in the form of IBM's COBOL II), COBOL is almost
turning into a real language.  Although C is my language of choice, I
get my $$$ by programming in COBOL all day, so it would be nice to have
someplace to complain about it.  :-)  I've also bumped into the occassional
bug or unexpected behavior during the switch to COBOL II, so a COBOL
newsgroup would give us a good place to distribute this type of info.

Best of all, we don't have to argue over the name!  :-)

Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (12/04/89)

OK, the discussion period is over, and I'm about to issue the call
for votes. Some closing comments from my part.

There have been three sorts of comments:
1) In favour.
2) Questioning. Is there traffic enough to justify the group?
3) Negative. Cobol is evil.

There have been several articles and some personal mail too in the
first group, including a coinciding proposal to form alt.cobol.
They are many enough to encourage me to go on and issue a call
for votes.

We have, thankfully, not seen much of category 3. I did actually
receive a mail from a guy who thought that Cobol was evil and that
he would vote no because of that. (Bill Thacker, what do you think
of that?) Lucky for him and I don't share that attitude. If I had,
I would rmgroup comp.lang.c straight away.

So the second category which I have said things like "he might get
the votes, but will he get the traffic?" This is a very valid point.
Now, I have seen sufficiently many Cobol articles to believe there will
be some traffic, but I would be lying if I said that I predicted 500
articles a month.
  Another issue that has been questioned is that being the most
commonly used language does not justify a newsgroup. What justifies
is that someone wants to talk about it. Again, this is a very valid
point. Some of the supporters have intimated that they will post.
  The common problem is of course that the vote (or survey) gives
an indication on how many that will read the group, not on how
many that will post, and how much.
  Nevertheless, if comp.lang.cobol only gets 5 articles/month the
group may still be worthwhile to those working with Cobol. As
it is today, when they (we) run into a problem they have to go
comp.lang.misc, which might be a peaceful place. It might also
be the battlefield for a language war with tons of articles.
In that situation comp.lang.cobol would be a good place to ask
your question in without drowning in the rest.
  So, I will go for it. If you think traffic etc is too low, you
can always vote no.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se

rick@pavlov.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (12/05/89)

I cannot see the need for a comp.lang.cobol at this time. There has been no
traffic on any of the .misc groups (although there was a thread involving
COBOL in comp.arch). I still feel that a new newsgroup is not warrented until
traffic in an existing group or one of the .misc groups.

BTW, I am in an MIS shop so COBOL is used extensively. I am not anti-COBOL

Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030