[news.groups] Call For Discussion

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/08/89)

In article <37089@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:

   From: farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 7 Dec 89 18:21:47 GMT

   In article <PNAKADA.89Dec6161004@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
   >I think I have to object...  there is precedence set in this matter,
   >with
   >comp.sys.mac
   >comp.sys.mac.hardware
   >comp.sys.mac.programmer

	   I don't see the precedence here.  What I do see is an over done
	   group hierarchy.

   >The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
   >creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
   >change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
   >comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
   >done with the comp.sys.mac groups)

	   Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
	   not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
	   comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

   --
   +---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
   | Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

Cary,
   I've cross posted this discussion to news.groups.  I'm pretty sure
that discussions like this should involve people from all newsgroups.

I must heartily state that I am all for the creation of a new
technical newsgroup.  I must disagree with you when you call the mac
newgroups, "an overdone group hierarchy."   I would much rather have
an overdone group hierarchy, than none at all.   What you suggest is
grouping the discussion first by its technical nature and then by its
particular hardware platform, while most groups which need additional
focus, add on to the platform grouping.

comp.sys.amiga.tech
rec.autos.tech

The argument could be made that the comp.binaries groups follow your
particular hierarchy, with the platform as the last grouping.  This is
true, but I think that the precedence set by other groups and the fact
that the comp.tech branch does not exist yet is enough reason to go
with comp.sys.apple.tech or comp.sys.apple2.tech

Again, I stress that I wan tthe new group created, but I also want to
try to avoid adding to what many people call the USENET anarchy.

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com