[news.groups] rec.music.pfloyd

howells@xenon.arc.nasa.gov (John Howells) (12/08/89)

The group should be called rec.music.pfloyd, should be unmoderated, and
should be for the purpose of discussing anything of interest pertaining
to Pink Floyd (music, videos, books, etc.). Someone said there has been
little or no traffic concerning Floyd in rec.music.misc. I seem to recall
seeing a lot of discussion in both rec.music.misc and alt.rock-n-roll, but
then I don't think traffic should be the deciding factor on whether or not
a group should be created. If there is enough interest, and the vote count
bears it out, then the group should exist.

Personally, I'm more interested in Syd Barrett, so I will probably check in
on the group from time to time...

John Howells           |  "Science does not    | howells@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
Sterling Software      |   remove the terror   | howells@krypton.arc.nasa.gov
Palo Alto, Ca.         |   of the Gods"        | howells%kry@ames.arc.nasa.gov

rwg@abbeyroad.Solbourne.COM (Rick Gillespie) (12/08/89)

In article <4113@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> howells@xenon.arc.nasa.gov writes:

>The group should be called rec.music.pfloyd, should be unmoderated, and
>should be for the purpose of discussing anything of interest pertaining
>to Pink Floyd (music, videos, books, etc.).

Is there a particular problem with the name "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?
Other than laziness of posters, that is.

Rick Gillespie				| Solbourne Computer, Inc.
UUCP: ...![uunet,boulder]!stan!rwg	| 1900 Pike Rd.
Internet: rwg@solbourne.com		| Longmont, CO 80501
"If you want to BE the man, you've got	| (303) 678-4723
 to BEAT the man!"			|

howells@krypton.arc.nasa.gov (John Howells) (12/08/89)

<>
<
<Is there a particular problem with the name "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?
<Other than laziness of posters, that is.
<

That, plus rec.music.pfloyd looks cooler!

John Howells           |  "Science does not    | howells@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
Sterling Software      |   remove the terror   | howells@krypton.arc.nasa.gov
Palo Alto, Ca.         |   of the Gods"        | howells%kry@ames.arc.nasa.gov

nichols@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ronald R Nichols) (12/08/89)

First of all, the idea of a Pink Floyd newsgroup is great!  I don't like
the name rec.music.pfloyd though.  I'd much rather see rec.music.floyd or
rec.music.pinkfloyd.

Just my opinion,

Ron

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/09/89)

In article <1989Dec7.213000.27112@Solbourne.COM>, rwg@abbeyroad.Solbourne.COM (Rick Gillespie) says:

>In article <4113@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> howells@xenon.arc.nasa.gov writes:
>>
>>The group should be called rec.music.pfloyd, should be unmoderated, and
>>should be for the purpose of discussing anything of interest pertaining
>>to Pink Floyd (music, videos, books, etc.).
>
>Is there a particular problem with the name "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?
>Other than laziness of posters, that is.

    I guess I'm lazy...
    And comments like that really aren't necessary (prepare to be flamed by
a million people). My problem with rec.music.pinkfloyd is just that it's too
damn long. rec.music.pinkfloyd is short and specific. And, sure, I'm lazy. So
what?

-------
              |    Thom Rounds
  _  /|       |
  \'o.O'      |    INTERNET: tar@maine.caps.maine.edu
  =(___)=     |    BITNET: TAR@MAINE
     U        |    UUCP path: psuvax!psuvm!maine!tar
 Ack! Phht!   |

seeger@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (12/10/89)

In article <4118@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> howells@krypton.arc.nasa.gov writes:
|In article <1989Dec7.213000.27112@Solbourne.COM>, rwg@abbeyroad.Solbourne.COM (Rick Gillespie) writes...
|<In article <4113@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> howells@xenon.arc.nasa.gov writes:
|<>The group should be called rec.music.pfloyd, should be unmoderated, and
|<
|<Is there a particular problem with the name "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?
|<Other than laziness of posters, that is.
|
|That, plus rec.music.pfloyd looks cooler!

Oh, no.  "rec.music.floyd" is the coolest, despite all the previous
precedence of "gdead" et al.

BTW, our site runs a Floyd list ("eclipse").  There are 181 entries in the
list, less than ten of which look like exploders (based on their names).
Are there any other Floyd mailing lists?  I'll try to get eclipse's
maintainer to add his comments.

--
  Charles Seeger    E301 CSE                 +1 904 335 8053
  CIS Department    University of Florida    MIPS R6000: "The latest Killer