[news.groups] CFD: rec.models

randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) (12/08/89)

[Examining our spool directory, I was led to believe this did not succeed
the first time]

With the existence of rec.models.rc and rec.models.rockets, I would like to
suggest a group called rec.models, for the discussion of the hobby of scale
modelling. What I would like to see is an unmoderated newsgroup, devoted to
the discussion of the building and finishing of model kits. I am not suggesting
limiting it to wood or plastic, or scratch-built. I would like to see an
open forum. Modelling is a rewarding hobby, to those whom it interests. From
my association with the Oklahoma Historical Modelers Society (OHMS) and IPMS,
I have learned an incredible amount in just the past 4 months or so. Modelling
is one of those hobbies where the exchange of ideas and experience is an
absolute must, especially to beginners. If there is sufficient interest, I
feel certain there would be sufficient discussion material. So, please let
me hear your comments.

Randy
--
Randy J. Ray       University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus	(405)/325-5370
!chinet!uokmax!randy	randy@uokmax.uucp    randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

jeffm@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeff Medcalf) (12/09/89)

I would like to see the creation of rec.models.  It would give me a group
in which to discuss models.

I am mostly a kit modeller, and want to move into scratchbuilding on a larger
scale.  To do so, I would need a lot of help with technique.  Rec.models would
be perfect for getting such needed tips.

The directory is there:  let's use it!

--
Jeff Medcalf	 jeffm@uokmax.{uucp|ecn.uoknor.edu}    !chinet!uokmax!jeffm
BoB smokes *my* pipe!            We carry in our hearts the true country...

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec8.095308.12605@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>
Longshot (randy@uokmax.UUCP) writes:
>With the existence of rec.models.rc and rec.models.rockets, I would like to
>suggest a group called rec.models, for [...] the hobby of scale modelling.

I think rec.models.misc would be better: we already have two leaf-nodes,
and a misc group would provide a place for other discussions to start in
without each new sub-interest starting a new froup.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in modelling.

-Dan Veditz
uunet!ashtate!dveditz
dveditz@ashtate.A-T.COM

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec9.002745.5075@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jeffm@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeff Medcalf) writes:

> I would like to see the creation of rec.models.  [ .... ]

> I am mostly a kit modeller, and want to move into scratchbuilding on a larger
> scale.  To do so, I would need a lot of help with technique.  Rec.models would
> be perfect for getting such needed tips.

Since this group would be primarily about building models, I think a more
appropriate name would be rec.models.building (mainly because the only other
term I could think of offhand was "construction", which is a little long).
This would clarify the groups' purpose, as well as avoiding extraneous
material in the middle of discussions about which brand of covering is
best, or whatever.

> The directory is there:  let's use it!

A directory does not a group make; a new directory for this purpose
won't impact the world significantly. $SPOOLDIR/rec/models will be
there in any case; let's leave it open for people to discover that
this is about modeling as a hobby rather than a profession of displaying
clothing....    :-)

> Jeff Medcalf	 jeffm@uokmax.{uucp|ecn.uoknor.edu}    !chinet!uokmax!jeffm

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (12/12/89)

In article <476@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) writes:
>In article <1989Dec9.002745.5075@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jeffm@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeff Medcalf) writes:
>
>> I would like to see the creation of rec.models.  [ .... ]
>
>Since this group would be primarily about building models, I think a more
>appropriate name would be rec.models.building (mainly because the only other
>term I could think of offhand was "construction", which is a little long).
>This would clarify the groups' purpose, as well as avoiding extraneous
>material in the middle of discussions about which brand of covering is
>best, or whatever.

I disagree.  First, the name's long and unappealing.  If you're worried
about confusion, then consider that a reader seeing "rec.models.rc"
and "rec.models.rocket" will assume rec.models.building is for model
buildings, maybe architectural modelling.  Further, r.m.b is redundant,
wouldn't you say ?  The whole idea of modelling is to build something.

I think rec.models.misc is the best choice.  I've always felt each
branch in the heirarchy should have a misc group.

Consider "rec.models.misc" as the basis, and that rc and rockets have
already spawned SIGs.  Theoretically (though I doubt there's currently
interest), there could eventually be rec.models.plastic,
rec.models.scratchbuilt, rec.models.diorama, etc.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
	    Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero