[news.groups] Recent Voting Stats

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (11/14/89)

As I promised in article <854@pmafire.UUCP>, here are the recent voting
results that I've recorded.  This posting just contains the list.  I'll
save my own opinions for a follow-up to this article.

The list is sorted alphabetically, and gives the yes, no, and favorable
percentage for each vote.

Group				Yes	 No	Percent
-----				---	 --	-------
comp.infosystems		190	 32	 85.6
comp.object			884	 21	 97.7
comp.os.os2			192	 28	 87.3
comp.sys.m88k			131	  6	 95.6
comp.sys.mac.hardware		254	 22	 92.0
rec.org.sca			160	 20	 88.9
rec.sport.football split	 87	 33	 72.5
sci.aquaria			466	320	 59.3
soc.culture.korean		181	 32	 85.0
soc.culture.latin-america	238	 23	 91.2

Note: I missed the results of the rec.sport.basketball split, but
believe that it was similar to the *football results.  If anyone wants
to send me those results, along with any other recent votes I've missed,
I'll add them to the list.

--
Geoff Allen
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (11/14/89)

In article <855@pmafire.UUCP> I write:

>Group				Yes	 No	Percent
>-----				---	 --	-------
>comp.infosystems		190	 32	 85.6
>comp.object			884	 21	 97.7
>comp.os.os2			192	 28	 87.3
>comp.sys.m88k			131	  6	 95.6
>comp.sys.mac.hardware		254	 22	 92.0
>rec.org.sca			160	 20	 88.9
>rec.sport.football split	 87	 33	 72.5
>sci.aquaria			466	320	 59.3
>soc.culture.korean		181	 32	 85.0
>soc.culture.latin-america	238	 23	 91.2

The first thing that I find interesting about these results is that
almost all of the groups got 20-30 no votes.  It didn't seem to matter
if the yesses were 884 (comp.object) or 160 (rec.org.sca).  This would
seem to support Peter's contention that yes and no votes on the net are
unrelated.

The only group that would have failed by the 100 no vote criterion is
sci.aquaria.  The only group that would have failed a 2/3 majority
criterion is (surprise!) sci.aquaria.  (Excluding the rec.sport.football
split, which failed the yes > no + 100 criterion.)

It seems to me that the 2/3 majority requirement is a good one.  Every
group but sci.aquaria easily meets this requirement.

I also like the multivoting scheme (MAUVE?) being discussed recently,
but that's another matter, I suppose.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  I don't speak for WINCO or DOE,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  and they don't speak for me.

stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (11/17/89)

In <856@pmafire.UUCP> gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) said:
>[...]
>The first thing that I find interesting about these results is that
>almost all of the groups got 20-30 no votes.  It didn't seem to matter
>if the yesses were 884 (comp.object) or 160 (rec.org.sca).  This would
>seem to support Peter's contention that yes and no votes on the net are
>unrelated.

In fact, no votes are unrelated to the proposed group name and charter.
This indicates that no votes are meaningless in selecting groups that are
interesting to people and have an appropriate name. Even the aquaria vote, the
exception, supports this point. This is evidence of a defect in the
guidelines. Most importantly they treat the creation of groups as a zero sum
game where there must be winners and losers. A good argument could be made
that creation of new groups is of benefit to all users, since it increases
support for the net as a whole. If the guidelines are not changed to reflect
the nature of payoffs on the net, then we will continue to see disruptive
controversies.

Reading of comments received with groupware "no" votes, certainly supports the
the Summary line of this post. No votes often reflect misunderstanding,
ignorance, or just not being serious. I will post a selection after the
groupware vote is completed (with names removed to protect the "innocent").

--
David S. Stodolsky, PhD      Routing: <@uunet.uu.net:stodol@diku.dk>
Department of Psychology                  Internet: <stodol@diku.dk>

In article <4980@freja.diku.dk> stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) writes:
> In fact, no votes are unrelated to the proposed group name and charter.

In fact NO votes are most closely related to the name.

> Most importantly they treat the creation of groups as a zero sum
> game where there must be winners and losers.

Not a zero-sum game, but there may be losers. A badly named group decreases
the utility of the news system overall.

My problem with .groupware is mainly with the second half of the name. It's
kind of non-obvious what this refers to. Anyone remember net.columbia?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (12/05/89)

news.admin's own stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) said:
-
-In fact, no votes are unrelated to the proposed group name and charter.

Really?  Whenever I vote no on a newsgroup it's *because* of the name and/or
the charter.  Either the name is completely wrong (whether it be a domain
that's wrong [sci.skeptic] or a descriptive name) or the charter is against
what I want to see on the net (soc.personals).

You'll get no votes with any sort of voting system, simply because you need
an option to stop the formation of a bad group; no matter how reasonable the
name is.

--
        David Bedno aka davidbe@sco.COM: Speaking from but not for SCO.

"Can you keep a secret?"
		"I'm a GENTLEMAN.  Of *course* I can't keep a secret."
							- from Cerebus #125

stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (12/10/89)

For vote stats to be meaningful, an adequate sample must be available.
Any voting method will pass some proposals that are bad and not pass some that
are good. The recently presented vote stats contained a single proposal that
did not pass. This certainly gives no basis for any statistical conclusion.
And what conclusion one can draw, will depend in part upon whether one feels
that the group that did not pass was a good proposal or not. This in turn will
be determined by what period is covered by the stats. Thus, the conclusion is
totally irrelevant to the guidelines used. And no conclusion about the current
guidelines can be supported by such stats.

This is not to indicate that the author of the stats rigged the results. One
simply is in error to try to draw such a conclusion on the basis of such a
small sample, especially if it is so unbalance as to have a single instance of
one of the categories. Statistically speaking, there is no way to determine
how large the measurement error is, in such a situation.

However, the question of whether "no" votes are independent of the proposal
could be answered, especially if one analyzes the data before it is
summarized. If "no" votes are for the most part transmitted by the same people
(supported by casual observation), then this would be further evidence for
this hypothesis. If "no" votes are independent of the proposal, the same
results could be achieve by eliminating "no" votes and changing the current
guidelines to, for instance, "Yes > 130".
--

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/14/89)

According to stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
>If "no" votes are independent of the proposal, the same results could be
>achieve by eliminating "no" votes and changing the current guidelines to,
>for instance, "Yes > 130".

Every absurd idea has its champion.

It is incredible to me that anyone could observe and compare the votes on
comp.lang.perl and sci.aquaria, and yet continue to believe that "no" votes
are independent of newsgroup proposal.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>