[news.groups] keep this OUT of soc.motss

harryu@warpten.Central.Sun.COM (Harry Ugol) (12/14/89)

First of all, please note this article is *not* about homosexuality.
It is about the usenet group soc.motss.  The article to which this is
a followup deals with the morality of homosexuality; this article does
not.  Please keep m.o.h. discussions out of this particular subject
thread.

Second, please note I have directed followups to news.groups and
soc.motss.  This is to emphasize that the topic I wish to discuss is
the structure and organization of Usenet groups, not homosexuality
*per se*.

In article <1989Dec13.220631.23749@cs.uoregon.edu> jdrew@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (James Robert Drew) writes:
>Cross-post Alert!

Damn straight :-(.  Mr. Drew, I assume you cross-posted this article to
soc.motss out of well-meant ignorance, and that you are not a
regular reader of the group.  Nonetheless, your article is going to
bring the same old tiresome no-win flamewars down on our heads once
again, and I for one am heartily sick of them.

To just give a few instances of the inflammatory passages which I
expect to see quoted far too many times over the next few weeks:

>In article <18041@netnews.upenn.edu> duggan@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Paul C. Duggan) writes:
>>In article <8912130736.AA21140@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DPARMENTER@HAMPVMS.BITNET (Parmenator X) writes:
>>>
>>>As for whether it's a matter of choice, PLEASE explain to me why someone
>>>would CHOOSE a lifestyle that would guarantee them a life of being unfairly
>>>judged, ridiculed, prevented from working where they want to, prevented from
>>>living where they want to WITH who they want to, and be forced for their
>>>WHOLE LIFE being told that their lifestyle is a "hindrance to life"
[...]
>>I'm told to "respect alternate lifestles"  and not
>>to knock it just because it doesn't turn me on, but then out of the other
>>side of their mouth they tell me that it's just the way they are.
[...]
>>If that's what it is then I'll pity them like I'd pity a drug addict,
>>who can't help it.  Otherwise, I respectfully submit that they have
>>made a choice that is wrong.  Homosexuals CAN change, it's just very
>>difficult.

Over the two or so years in which I've been a devotee of soc.motss,
periodic and painful flamewars have erupted over the following topics:

1) Whether homosexuality is moral.

2) Whether homosexuality is something a person chooses or whether it
is an innate part of their nature.

3) Whether homosexuality is "natural" (which usually translates to
whether homosexuality occurs elsewhere in the animal kingdom.  No
definition of "natural" is ever given.  One of these days I'm going to
start a discussion on the morality of "natural" :-)/2 ).

4) How much of a right gay people have to self-respect and
self-expression at the expense of people who do not approve of
homosexuality.

These flamewars have all started by some incendiary article appearing,
usually as a cross-post from some unrelated group, taking a homophobic
view of one or more of the above issues.  Some righteously indignant
motss politico or other rises to the bait - usually a whole cadre of
them - and the war is rolling right along within a day or two (and
please note that I do not intend to demean the motss people who
participate in these discussions, I'm just pissed at the results).
Things flicker out in a couple of weeks, and that's that, until the
next, inevitable, occurrance.

The soc.motss charter says the group is not for the discussion of the
morality of homosexuality, i.e. topic #1 above is not to take place.
I would like to propose the charter be amended to include topics #2
and #3 above as well.  My reasons are as follows:

1) I believe one of the major reasons morality-of-homosexuality
discussions were prohibited is that, no matter how many discussions
are held on the topic, people never change the views they held when
the discussion began.  I have also seen this behavior for topics #2
and #3 above.  As such, these topics seem to me far better suited to a
"talk" group than a "soc" group (I believe the "talk" hierarchy was
first set up to house "discussions" which do not result in people's
views changing - talk.abortion is a representative example).

2) As I see it, the charter's proscription of
morality-of-homosexuality discussions is based in the implicit
assumption that homosexuality is moral.  If so, it must be "natural" -
so much for issue #3 (assuming, of course, that "unnatural" ==
immoral).  Issue #2 does not depend on the morality of homosexuality
*per se*, but it is only brought up by those who think homosexuality
is immoral and that gay people can choose not to be homosexual.  As
such, I think issue #2 should be banned as well.

Note that I do not advocate banning discussions of topic #4 (the
rights of gay people to infringe on the space of people who do not
approve of homosexuality).  Quite frankly, I don't know what to do
with this topic.  On the one hand, the political struggle for gay
rights is an important and perennial discussion topic on soc.motss,
and is very important to the people there.  On the other hand, with
few exceptions the only people who are going to argue that gay people
have no right to infringe on their opponents' space are those selfsame
opponents.

I do not know what the official procedure is for amending a Usenet
group's charter - Usenet being what it is, I suspect there isn't one
:-\.  But I think it is highly necessary and long past time in this
case.

I also wish to propose the creation of a newsgroup devoted solely to
those fruitless discussions of topics #1-3 above, i.e. to discussions
of the morality of homosexuality and related issues, and that this
group be placed in the "talk" hierarchy.  This is because such
discussions will inevitably occur - human nature, y'know - and my
animus towards them does not extend to wishing their complete
extermination; I just want my sanctuary to be left in peace and quiet.
I do not intend to subscribe to such a group, but judging from the
various incidents on motss for the past year or two, there will be
plenty of traffic from others :-(.  I know this will not eliminate
flamewars cross-posted to soc.motss ("Ugol's (personal) rule #2: Never
attribute to malice that which can be explained as stupidity or
laziness"), but I hope that in time there will be far fewer of them in
soc.motss once they have some other well-known appropriate place to
go.

PS - as for the current budding flamewar - could all my
brother-and-sister motssketeers please, just this once, direct
followups in *all* your followups to someplace else?  Please please
pretty please?  I'd suggest rec.arts.comics or alt.flame myself.  This
stuff *really* does not belong in soc.motss (IMNSHO, of course).

Harry Ugol
UUCP:  {backbone}!sun!warpten!harryu
ARPA:  harryu@Ebay.sun.com

"Rivendell household rule #4:  Nothing exceeds like excess."

ddern@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Daniel Dern) (12/14/89)

Is comic book reading a natural tendency or acquired?
Is reading Marvel Comics unnatural, while DC is OK?
is it possible for people to enjoy reading both Marvel and DC comics?
Is it wrong to try to talk somebody out of enjoying Concrete?
Didn't reading Zot used to be really weird?
Aren't you tired of people flaunting their Marvel Comics reading
  in public?
Do we assume that in rec.arts.comics-space we need not defend the
  basic act of reading (and enjoying) comics?
Do you hold your comics in your left hand or right?
WHich of the Fantastic Four's powers do you feel have the greatest
  potential for a) erotic stimulation b) birth control  c) safe ***
  d) embarrassing moments in high school  e) arguing with the phone
  company
Who would you rather go to the movies with:  a) Lex Luthor  b) Bizarro
  c) John Byrne d) Jim Shooter
Which of these arguments might we apply to a) eating dim sum b) sf lovers
  c) computer programming d) ah-ha!
"Didn't used to be."

Seasons greetings to all, and get those reindoor off my gutters
before they break a hoof -- I _don't_ have zero-deductible in
my renter's santa claus.

daniel dern, wondering if r/a/c/ is being read by Buddy the Animal
Man, and thinking about new wallpaper on that there fourth wall...

--
Daniel Dern / PO Box 114 Belmont MA 02178 / (617) 926-8743
  Internet: ddern@cs.bu.edu  MCImail: dandern (@mcimail.com from arpa)

hm0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hugh Moore) (12/14/89)

>just this once, direct followups in *all* your followups
>to someplace else?  Please please pretty please?
>I'd suggest rec.arts.comics or alt.flame myself.

What did WE do to deseve this?

OK, lots of people have tried to make this next point, but it hasn't
worked yet, and I think I know why.
Here goes. . .

Let's have a complete stop of all flames.
Why has this suggestion not worked?  Because of the delay time messages
get going to the bboard.  It never fails that four posts later we have a
power-flame.  This breaks the calm and everyone is up in arms again.  If
EVERYONE just decides to igone the next one days flames after this, then
the problem will be gone.  Just like that.

Mad Uncle

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/14/89)

In article <1004@male.EBay.Sun.COM> harryu@warpten.Central.Sun.COM (Harry Ugol) writes:
>I do not know what the official procedure is for amending a Usenet
>group's charter - Usenet being what it is, I suspect there isn't one
>:-\.  But I think it is highly necessary and long past time in this case.

A plea to a newsgroup's "charter" is a rhetorical device.  No newsgroup
has a "charter" except insofaras it might be observed in the breach.
Readers of soc.motss make the groundrules insofaras the people who decide to
post have any authority through their ability to persuade others.  That's all.
If you want to "amend the charter", such as it is, discuss it in soc.motss.
Readers of news.groups don't have any say, nor do I think they much care.

>I also wish to propose the creation of a newsgroup devoted solely to
>those fruitless discussions of topics #1-3 above, i.e. to discussions
>of the morality of homosexuality and related issues, and that this
>group be placed in the "talk" hierarchy.  This is because such
>discussions will inevitably occur - human nature, y'know - and my
>animus towards them does not extend to wishing their complete
>extermination; I just want my sanctuary to be left in peace and quiet.

I've already made my opinion known in soc.motss that I think this is
a very BAD idea.  Nice of someone to create an alt group for it simply
on the basis of Harry's article.  Feh.  And what the hell difference do
you think it will make?  Nothing at all, except it carves out a place
for phobes to rant and rave as they will.  It institutionalizes intolerance.
It will not stop the very infrequent intrusions in soc.motss from people
who wish to discuss issues of "morality" or religion, which quite frankly,
have been handled very smoothly over the past seven years or so.  To think
that creating a ghetto for anti-gay ranting and raving somehow constitutes
an "improvement" of affairs is like saying that creating soc.feminist.bashing
solves the problem of women having to deal with sexism here on the net.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (12/14/89)

In article <sZVn0fK00XoI4dGkVw@andrew.cmu.edu> hm0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hugh Moore) writes:

>What did WE do to deseve this?

I guess we started it. :)

>EVERYONE just decides to igone the next one days flames after this, then
>the problem will be gone.  Just like that.

Just like that?  When cows fly my friend.  Nothing is that simple.  But lets
get back to comics shall we.

OBJ comic post...so that it is not a total waste of bandwidth, eh?

Has anybody currently read the Predator comics?  I thought it was quite good,
but I would like to hear other comments from other people about it.

	Sri

toto@tank.uchicago.edu (Sandra Jessica Smyth) (12/14/89)

In a long posting, Harry Ugol (harryu@Ebay.sun.com) proposed to ammend
the charter of soc.motss to exclude discussions of whether
homosexuality is something one chooses and whether it is "natural."
To justify this charter change he notes that flame wars regularly
break out in soc.motss.

>These flamewars have all started by some incendiary article appearing,
>usually as a cross-post from some unrelated group, taking a homophobic
>view of one or more of the above issues.  Some righteously indignant
>motss politico or other rises to the bait - usually a whole cadre of
>them - and the war is rolling right along within a day or two...

It seems to me that what we have here is not a problem with the
charter, but a problem with the people who fan the flames, as it were.
An "incendiary article," in and of itself, should not mean flames.
Posters have to follow-up, flaming the original poster.

Note that Mr. Ugol is not suggesting to do away with flame wars, per
se, but rather to do away with two subjects of discussion. I would
assume that members of soc.motss are able to discuss these matters
without strum und drang, and might, in fact resent Mr. Ugol's reining
in their liberties.

If you don't want flame wars, don't respond to "incendiary articles,"
and encourage your colleagues likewise.  But don't start on that
slippery slide of outlawing legitimate topics of discussion.

--
Sandra Jessica Smyth                    Believer in lost causes
toto@tank.uchicago.edu