[news.groups] Suggestions for new Pink Floyd newsgroup

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/06/89)

Hi gang, I'm the one who posted the call for discussion for the new P.F. news-
group proposal, and as of yet, there is no discussion. So I'll start off with
what I envision.

DETAILS:
    The group should be unmoderated. There is no need of moderation in a group
like this. If people want to flame, let them. They'll just get back-flamed by
e-mail.

    Probably the best name for the group would be rec.music.pfloyd, and I don't
think alt.rock-n-roll.pfloyd is really acceptable. If anyone wants to know why,
they can ask me via e-mail.

    We probably still need to put someone in charge of the group. Any
nominations?

    That's all I can think of for now. WE NEED A DISCUSSION. If noone bothers
with it, then I'll assume that all those e-mail responses were joke and noone
really wants this. If there is no discussion, I will carry this no further. I
don't want to do this alone.
                            ---Thom Rounds TAR@MAINE.BITNET

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/06/89)

    Chandu is unable to post to Usenet. I have forwarded this post for him...
                                  ---Thom

 Of course we don't want to miss such a golden opportunity of creating
a Floyd newsgroup. I do agree that the group doesn't need to be moderated
for the same reason rec.music.beatles etc. are not.

 Wouldn't it be great if we could discuss only Floyd and family music
in detail (albums, discography, bootlegs, books on P.F., P.F. magazines
and what not !!! I am simply excited. We won't have to go through tons
of uninteresting articles on what rock-n-roll is, what disco is and
whether dance music was the motivating force for rock or whatever.
folks, join in this discussion and vote YES for new group at the
appropriate time. See you.
-------
Chandu Bhavsar    IO80448@MAINE.MAINE.EDU     IO80448 AT MAINE.BITNET

They are moving in time      You raise the blade, you make the change,
To a heavy wooden door.      You rearrange me till I'm sane.
                             You lock the door and throw away the key,
Peter Gabriel in             There is someone in my head but it's not me.
Carpet Crawlers.
                             Roger Waters in
                             Brain Damage.

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/07/89)

I must have missed the original call for discussion.  I haven't seen
enough traffic in rec.music.misc regarding Floyd to warrant a newsgroup
devoted to them.  Is there a mailing list going on?
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/07/89)

    No, nothing in rec.music.misc, I admit. However, there has been alot in
alt.rock-n-roll, which I know is not an orthodox newgroup, but the people are
still there. Or WERE there. Noone has spoken a word since I posted the call
for discussion in news.groups. If it would help, I can re-post it to
rec.music.misc. (I also posted it to alt.rock-n-roll, and the subject died then
and there).
                                --Thom Rounds
                                  (TAR@MAINE.BITNET)

dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu (David Schuetz) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec6.210255.26010@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>I must have missed the original call for discussion.  I haven't seen
>enough traffic in rec.music.misc regarding Floyd to warrant a newsgroup
>devoted to them.  Is there a mailing list going on?

Actually, there's almost always some traffic in at least one of the three
music newsgroups I read about floyd (rec.music.misc, rec.music.cd,
alt.rock-n-roll).  Plus, there's a mailing list, that has *exploded* in
traffic lately (I received nearly 2 dozen messages yesterday alone).

It has often been joked that rec.music.misc is the "rush, pink floyd, and yes"
newsgroup.  Most jokes of that source are not made without some sort of reason,
and I believe that now is the time for Pink Floyd to branch off with its own
newsgroup...

david.

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/08/89)

From article <5747@umd5.umd.edu>, by dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu (David Schuetz):

> It has often been joked that rec.music.misc is the "rush, pink floyd, and yes"
> newsgroup.

Here's a good one:  I though rec.music.gaffa was supposed to discuss
"progressive rock" as well as Kate Bush.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :-) :-) :-)

Time to get back to reality...
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.
San Dimas, CA

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (12/08/89)

I don't read "rec.music.misc" any more (too much to wade through), but
as I remember a good deal of the messages were about Pink Floyd (or
what's left of it :-). I would support a Pink Floyd newsgroup. Maybe
we could call it simply "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?

But even "rec.music.pfloyd" or "rec.music.floyd" would be fine with me.

--
Bengt Larsson - Dep. of Math. Statistics, Lund University, Sweden
Internet: bengtl@maths.lth.se             SUNET:    TYCHE::BENGT_L

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/09/89)

In article <1989Dec8.032641.16631@lth.se>, newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) says:

>I don't read "rec.music.misc" any more (too much to wade through), but
>as I remember a good deal of the messages were about Pink Floyd (or
>what's left of it :-). I would support a Pink Floyd newsgroup. Maybe
>we could call it simply "rec.music.pinkfloyd"?
>
>But even "rec.music.pfloyd" or "rec.music.floyd" would be fine with me.

    You know, I hate to be a jerk and all, but we can't have indecisiveness
like that. When you say 'let's call it ..., or maybe ..., or' that isn't doing
me any good. I need to know the general opinion towards the name. Personally,
I prefer rec.music.pfloyd, it's short and specific. rec.music.pinkfloyd is a
little too long and when you post to it repeatedly, it gets very old very fast.
And besides, why not have some uniformity? We've got rec.music.gdead, and
before you know it ther'll be rec.music.jtull, need I go on??
    As usual, constructive (specific) suggestions are welcome, flames will be
summarily ignored.
                             --Thom
>--
>Bengt Larsson - Dep. of Math. Statistics, Lund University, Sweden
>Internet: bengtl@maths.lth.se             SUNET:    TYCHE::BENGT_L
-------
              |    Thom Rounds
  _  /|       |
  \'o.O'      |    INTERNET: tar@maine.caps.maine.edu
  =(___)=     |    BITNET: TAR@MAINE
     U        |    UUCP path: psuvax!psuvm!maine!tar
 Ack! Phht!   |

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (12/09/89)

news.groups's own dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu (David Schuetz) said:
-
-It has often been joked that rec.music.misc is the "rush, pink floyd, and yes"
-newsgroup.  Most jokes of that source are not made without some sort of reason,
-and I believe that now is the time for Pink Floyd to branch off with its own
-newsgroup...

Actually, I haven't seen much in r.m.m. about PF.  Mostly about Rush, these
days.

What about alt.music.pfloyd?  Yeah...

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

"Gentlemen don't call each other names Withers, so to spare me the stigma
 of being forced to conduct myself in an ungentlemanly fashion, perhaps
 you would be so good as to think of an appropriate name for yourSELF!"
						     - Oscar, Cerebus #125

news.groups's own sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) said:
-
-Here's a good one:  I though rec.music.gaffa was supposed to discuss
-"progressive rock" as well as Kate Bush.
-
-HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :-) :-) :-)

Whatever gave you that idea?  It was supposed to be a gateway for the
Kate Bush mailing list.  They do occasionally get into other music, but
that's not necessarily its purpose.

--

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/10/89)

In article <1989Dec6.210255.26010@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>I must have missed the original call for discussion.  I haven't seen
>enough traffic in rec.music.misc regarding Floyd to warrant a newsgroup
>devoted to them.  Is there a mailing list going on?

If there is a mailing list for Floyd, I'd be interested in
receiving/distributing it here.  I am not at this point very convinced
that it would warrant a new newsgroup.

>Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan

		--ed		{edhew@xenitec.on.ca}

jco@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Dumpmaster John) (12/11/89)

There is a floyd mailing list, it's even in the list of publicly accessable
mailing lists.  The list has been up for 2 years now.  And there is not
enough traffic on the list to warrent a news group (2-3 messages/month.)
Now then the list did explode about 2 weeks ago.  However, the flow has
slowed to a trickle, again.

later
jco
--
"What would Rock and Roll be without feedback?" -- D. Gilmour
In Real Life:		UUCP: {gatech|mailrus}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jco

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/12/89)

From article <565@scorn.sco.COM>, by davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat):
> news.groups's own sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) said:
> -
> -Here's a good one:  I though rec.music.gaffa was supposed to discuss
> -"progressive rock" as well as Kate Bush.
> -
> -HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :-) :-) :-)
>
> Whatever gave you that idea?  It was supposed to be a gateway for the
> Kate Bush mailing list.  They do occasionally get into other music, but
> that's not necessarily its purpose.

The idea came from our newsgroups file which reads:

rec.music.gaffa		Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush). (Moderated)
--

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (12/12/89)

In article <89339.125556TAR@MAINE.BITNET> TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) writes:
>    That's all I can think of for now. WE NEED A DISCUSSION. If noone bothers
>with it, then I'll assume that all those e-mail responses were joke and noone
>really wants this. If there is no discussion, I will carry this no further. I
>don't want to do this alone.
>                            ---Thom Rounds TAR@MAINE.BITNET

     Thom,
     As much as I have always liked Floyd I can't envision a newsgroup for
them. Soon after approval of that you'd have calls for rec.music.dead,
rec.music.zappa, rec.music.madonna, etc... Isn't there a catch-all group
already for this sorta thing? I would think that would be the place for this
stuff. Nice thought though.

"Where there's a will...there's an 'A'"---John Ritter (intellect)

ttrueger@athena.mit.edu (Timothy T. Rueger) (12/14/89)

In article <680@hq.af.mil> illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) writes:
>     As much as I have always liked Floyd I can't envision a newsgroup for
>them. Soon after approval of that you'd have calls for rec.music.dead,
>rec.music.zappa, rec.music.madonna, etc... Isn't there a catch-all group
>already for this sorta thing? I would think that would be the place for this
>stuff. Nice thought though.

Well, there does exist alt.rock-n-roll, for those who have access to the
alt.* hierarchy.  There are rec.music.beatles, dylan, gdead, gaffa.  So there
is precedent for creating musician-specific groups.

These newsgroups came out of sufficient interest in both the
"mainstream" and from the "underground" (take those terms to mean what
you will, I think they're appropriate here).  Pink Floyd has very
similar appeal, so I think rec.music.pfloyd is warranted.

In other words, DO IT!

-Tim
Tim Rueger			"I'm just an intern, I still make
ttrueger@ATHENA.MIT.EDU		 A mistake or two."
(617) 247-0506			     - "Weird Al" Yankovic, `Like a Surgeon'

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/15/89)

In article <680@hq.af.mil>, illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) says:

>In article <89339.125556TAR@MAINE.BITNET> TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) writes:
>>    That's all I can think of for now. WE NEED A DISCUSSION. If noone bothers
>>with it, then I'll assume that all those e-mail responses were joke and noone
>>really wants this. If there is no discussion, I will carry this no further. I
>>don't want to do this alone.
>>                            ---Thom Rounds TAR@MAINE.BITNET
>
>     Thom,
>     As much as I have always liked Floyd I can't envision a newsgroup for
>them. Soon after approval of that you'd have calls for rec.music.dead,
>rec.music.zappa, rec.music.madonna, etc... Isn't there a catch-all group
>already for this sorta thing? I would think that would be the place for this
>stuff. Nice thought though.

    That's very unfortunate. I'm sorry you feel that way, but myself and a cast
of (RND**3) feel otherwise. And if you look in the manifest, there *IS* a group
called rec.music.gdead, and I beleive there's a Zappa one in there somewhere.
    Yes, there is a 'catch-all group for this sorta thing'. We don't like it
there, and they don't really want us there. So noone should object *TOO* hard
if I go out of my way to get a new group put up where noone will bother us and
we won't bother anyone else. And if more people stand up for more new groups,
well, that's what the voting system is for. IF it's popular enough, it will be
approved. If not, it won't. I'm quite confident that rec.music.pfloyd will be
approved. If not, I'll just start again from square one and keep it up until it
gets approved. No harm done.
                                 --Thom Rounds
                                   tar@maine.bitnet
                                   tar%maine.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu