[news.groups] Creation of soc.culture.pakistani

magier@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (David Magier) (12/14/89)

In article <5217@okstate.UUCP> Saeed Faisel  <saeed@a.cs.okstate.edu> writes:

>Subject:	Re: Creation of SOC.CULTURE.PAKISTANI
>
>The new newsgroup is intended to serve the purpose of:
>

>- a cultural joint to which people from other cultures can refer to learn
>  more about us Pakistanis.

>Suggestions on the Purpose and Charter of the new newsgroup are welcome.

There are many American scholars who are very interested in Pakistan, and who
focus their studies, and research, and teaching on the topics of Pakistan's
culture, history, politics, languages and literatures. Many of them, and
many of their Universities, are members of a growing consortium of
interested scholars, known as the American-Pakistan Research Organization
(APRO). I'm sure I speak for many of APRO's members when I say that we
welome the creation of this newsgroup, and we hope that it will also
be able to serve as a clearinghouse and public forum for sharing of
information and opinions on this fascinating and important country
of South Asia.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
         ____________________        304 International Affairs
      /// -- David Magier -- \\\     Columbia University
     |||      South Asia      |||    New York, N.Y. 10027
     |||    Southeast Asia    |||    (212) 854-8046
      \\\    South Pacific   ///
         --------------------        magier@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu

dheeraj@nile.cs.umd.edu (Dheeraj Sanghi) (12/15/89)

In article <5217@okstate.UUCP> Saeed Faisel  <saeed@a.cs.okstate.edu> writes:

>Subject:	Re: Creation of SOC.CULTURE.PAKISTANI

This discussion comes up in soc.culture.indian every now and then,
and a large majority there feels that there is no real need of
a separate newsgroup for issues related to pakistan. They can be
discussed in s.c.i and most people there welcome such discussions.

If a separate newsgroup is created, there is likely to be lot of
cross-posting between the two newsgroups.

-dheeraj