[news.groups] Call For Discussion -- Antiques and Collectables Newsgroup

newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (System News Administrator) (11/27/89)

I am interested in starting a newsgroup devoted to antiques
and colectables here on USENET.  There is a growing interest
in this activity and I think it would be worthwhile for us to
have a place to discuss the aspects of this hobby.

The group would center on the discussion of all aspects of
fine antiques, but discussin of collectables of all kinds
including stamps, baseball cards, coins, or Americana would
also be welcomed.

Is there any interest in this proposal? If enough people appear
to want the group, I will post a call for votes in 30 days.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ *READ* --->  The opinions expressed above are to the best of my knowledge, +
+ However all options should be discussed with persons who have professional +
+ training with the subjects covered here. * ALL POSSIBLE DISCLAIMERS APPLY! +
+ ===>FROM: newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov     Pioneer's  USENET ADMINISTRATOR +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

adams@swbatl.UUCP (4237) (11/28/89)

In article <3949@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (System News Administrator) writes:
>The group would center on the discussion of all aspects of
>fine antiques, but discussin of collectables of all kinds
>including stamps, baseball cards, coins, or Americana would
>also be welcomed.
>
>Is there any interest in this proposal? If enough people appear
>to want the group, I will post a call for votes in 30 days.

Hmmm.  I tried to respond in mail but :
	<<< 550 <ames!newsadm>... User unknown
	550 <ames!newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov>... User unknown

I had posted a similar message two days ago.
I'm quite interested in an antiques and collectables newsgroup, provided
antique books and radios are acceptable topics. I am unsure of general
feelings about bundling these into an antique group, given that they are
probally less popular topics than, say mission oak furniture.

--
#	---Tom Adams---	| uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.swbt.com
# I collect pre-1930 wireless, electrical and scientific books.

erin@srava.sra.JUNET (Erin M. Karp) (11/28/89)

In article <3949@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (System News Administrator) writes:

>I am interested in starting a newsgroup devoted to antiques
>and colectables here on USENET.  There is a growing interest
>
>Is there any interest in this proposal? If enough people appear
>to want the group, I will post a call for votes in 30 days.

Hear, hear! Antiquing kind of runs in my family (is it hereditary?), with
my father and I planning to open a business specializing in the buying and
selling of antique music boxes (the nice, big, old ones, not the chintzy
little things that have a plastic ballet dancer and play "You light up
my Life"). I say, let's go for it.

erin
Erin Karp                         |
Software Research Associates      |            Jam yesterday,
1-1-1 Hirakawa-cho, Chiyoda-ku    |            And jam tomorrow,
Tokyo 102                         |            But never jam today.
Phone: (03) 234-2611              |
erin@sra.junet                    |

rick@pavlov.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (12/16/89)

In article <984@swbatl.UUCP>, adams@swbatl.UUCP (4237) writes:

> I'm quite interested in an antiques and collectables newsgroup, provided
> antique books and radios are acceptable topics. I am unsure of general
> feelings about bundling these into an antique group, given that they are
> probally less popular topics than, say mission oak furniture.

May I suggest that you utilize either rec.arts.misc or rec.misc until you have
traffic to warrant a news group. (Or start a mailing list). A news group should
not be started (generality here) until sufficient traffic volume exists in an
existing news group on the topic to warrent a split.

Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030