[news.groups] newsgroup for TeX and LaTeX

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (12/14/89)

In article <14650@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> Thomas Kwon writes:
>   I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a newsgroup called
>   "TeX.questions" or something along that line.

Yes... I think it's about time there was a TeX/LaTeX newsgroup.  By the way,
there is already a moderated 'texhax' mailing list (texhax@cs.washington.edu).
It would be nice to gateway texhax digests into the proposed newsgroup since
there's a lot of useful information there.

--
Ashwin Ram
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280

seeger@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (12/14/89)

In article <ASHWIN.89Dec13114308@pravda.gatech.edu> ashwin@pravda.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
|In article <14650@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> Thomas Kwon writes:
|>   I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a newsgroup called
|>   "TeX.questions" or something along that line.
|
|Yes... I think it's about time there was a TeX/LaTeX newsgroup.  By the way,
|there is already a moderated 'texhax' mailing list (texhax@cs.washington.edu).
|It would be nice to gateway texhax digests into the proposed newsgroup since
|there's a lot of useful information there.

Most of the traffic on comp.text is TeX related, and texhax digests are
posted there.  I don't think that this group needs splitting (there is
already a comp.text.desktop group that has little traffic).

--
  Charles Seeger    E301 CSE                 +1 904 335 8053
  CIS Department    University of Florida    MIPS R6000: "The latest Killer

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/14/89)

As quoted from <ASHWIN.89Dec13114308@pravda.gatech.edu> by ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram):
| It would be nice to gateway texhax digests into the proposed newsgroup since
| there's a lot of useful information there.
+---------------

Agreed.  There is already a newsgroup with TeX traffic (comp.text), but it's
a relatively high volume newsgroup and the TeX stuff is mixed up with postings
on everything from troff to WordPerfect.  I'd like to just get the TeX
postings.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/14/89)

I've sent this to news.groups and comp.text with followups to news.groups.
Hopefully I'm disseminating this knowledge properly.

With reference to TeX and LaTeX questions, there is already a mailing
list designed specifically for dealing with LaTeX questions... it works
by distributing questions in a round-robin manner to a group of
volunteers who answer questions quickly. This is somewhat more efficient
than a newsgroup would be. A similar list could be created for plain TeX
as well, no doubt.

Here is the original TeXMaG article (TeXMaG V3N4.5) on the topic.

Lately, many sites have installed LaTeX without having, acquiring, or
developing a LaTeX expert. Many simple LaTeX questions from those
sites have been posted directly to TeXhax, clogging it and prompting
redundant replies.

Therefore, a number of TeXhax subscribers have formed a volunteer
LaTeX question answering corps. LaTeX users with questions should take
the following steps:
 1) Read the manual very carefully, including a careful check of the
    index. Most questions are answered there.
 2) Check whether anyone locally can answer your question. Consider
    not only paid systems staff but also more experienced users.
    Similarly, if you paid a commercial company good money for LaTeX,
    you should demand customer support from them--after all LaTeX is
    available for free.
 3) See if you can work it out yourself, and in the process build
    LaTeX expertise, by use of careful test cases, tracing mode,
    examining the LaTeX source files, etc. Don't go crazy if you're a
    non-programmer, but give it a shot.
 4) If all of the above fail, *don't* send mail to TeXhax. Instead,
    send mail to LaTeX-help@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU. Your mail will
    automatically be forwarded to a member of the volunteer corps, in
    a round-robin rotation. You should hear back shortly, either with
    a solution to your problem, a request for additional information,
    or the remark that it exceeded the volunteer's abilities and has
    been forwarded to other experts, including further volunteers and
    the TeXhax mailing list. If you don't hear anything after waiting
    a reasonable period, write to
    LaTeX-help-coordinator@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU with as much
    information about your original mailing as you have, and I'll try
    to track down how it got lost.

Please do not abuse this service.  We volunteers have lots of work of
our own to do, and will not continue volunteering if the burden is
excessive. Make sure you try steps 1-3 before step 4, and always be
eager to help others locally who are a step behind you. Also, join TUG
(the TeX Users' Group) if you haven't and avail yourself of their
classes and publications to develop in-house LaTeX expertise.

If you have any questions or comments on this, please write to
LaTeX-help-coordinator@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU -- not directly to the
current person holding that position, as it may change.

This is not to say that I'm opposed to the idea of a TeX/LaTeX
newsgroup, just that people should be aware of the other services
available.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/15/89)

In article <14650@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kwon@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Thomas Kwon) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a newsgroup called
> "TeX.questions" or something along that line.

	I am interested in it.  Might also be a place to share some style
files that people have written.  Go for it!

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/15/89)

In article <865.25877f44@dayton.saic.com> fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>In article <14650@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kwon@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Thomas Kwon) writes:
>> I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a newsgroup called
>> "TeX.questions" or something along that line.

>	I am interested in it.  Might also be a place to share some style
>files that people have written.  Go for it!

Yes, but (1) there exist better means of disseminating style files (in
particular, there are parallel archives at Clarkson, HMC, Aston University
(UK), on PC floppies from Jon Radel and a few other sources. Submitting
style files and macros there would be a better way to share information.

Also, be aware that only a tiny fraction of the TeX community ever even
sees news. A large number of DVI driver questions, for example, have gone
unanswered because I didn't start reading news until fairly recently. Leslie
Lamport, who wrote LaTeX, reads TeXhax. He does not get news. The same can
be said of many other important TeX people.

-dh
--

shamma@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/17/89)

In article <ASHWIN.89Dec13114308@pravda.gatech.edu> ashwin@pravda.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>In article <14650@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> Thomas Kwon writes:
>>   I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a newsgroup called
>>   "TeX.questions" or something along that line.

Yes... I think it's a good idea to have a  TeX/LaTeX newsgroup.  ,

 Walid.