[news.groups] Group Hierachies

michael@fts1.UUCP (Michael Richardson) (12/17/89)

In article <PNAKADA.89Dec7155652@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>newgroups, "an overdone group hierarchy."   I would much rather have
>an overdone group hierarchy, than none at all.   What you suggest is
>grouping the discussion first by its technical nature and then by its
>particular hardware platform, while most groups which need additional
>focus, add on to the platform grouping.
>
>comp.sys.amiga.tech
>rec.autos.tech
>
>The argument could be made that the comp.binaries groups follow your
>particular hierarchy, with the platform as the last grouping.  This is

	More importantly I think -- if you want to carry/read comp.binaries, you probably have
the disk space to carry one, or all. Yet you can still carry/read comp.sys.all
In the case of comp.sys.amiga.tech, I can very easily subscribe to comp.sys.amiga
and get all the subgroups (I'm talking sys files and -n options. What you have in
your .newsrc is rn's business as far as I'm concerned.)

	What I'd like to see is better threading in the groups. I really like
the group and group.f (although I have yet to actually _read_ one that is
set up that way. I shall be reading comp.groupware, and I suspect that this
might in fact belong there. [Someone correct me if I am wrong.])

--
  :!mcr!:
  Michael C. Richardson