[news.groups] Now that Peter is done with the aquaria poll...

bbc@nysa.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (12/15/89)

[Note the lack of cross-post to *.aquaria, etc.  Note the presence of
"aquaria" in the "Subject:" field.  If you don't like this thread,
don't whine to me or the net, but rather blame yourself for not
editing your kill file two months ago.]

Okay, I was sooooo patient.  Peter is done collecting his "data".  Now
that there is no fish vote in progress, and apparently no pending
action resulting from Peter's name survey...

Would some patient, thick-skinned, even-handed soul please run a terse
discussion (Oxymoron Alert, duck and cover...)  and non-controversial
vote (OA., ...) on the creation of an additional newsgroup, called
rec.aquaria, for the discussion of the recreational aspects of keeping
aquaria?  (No, Oleg, not you.  Your exceptionally thick skin doesn't
make up for your uneven hands.  And I don't think anyone else at
Gryphon need apply for this dangerous job.  The fish-haters think
you're all RJS clones. :-) Alien Wells tendered a feeler on this some
weeks back.  Perhaps he would be willing to brave the slings and
arrows?

My eventual hope is that rec.aquaria be created.  Then after the dust
settles (eg. 2-3 months after creation, when cross-posting between the
old and new groups falls), a vote of either confidence or removal
should be held on sci.aquaria.  This vote would be intented to
convince news managers to alter the propagation of that group in one
manner or another, either removing hindrances and renamings, or
flushing it wholesale.  As it stands now, sci.aquaria is the
thalidomide baby of the newsgroup hierarchy.  Something should be
done, one way or the other.

If in the end sci.aquaria is removed, and nothing created to satisfy
its charter (scientific or technical discussion of maintaining
aquaria?), then I plan on being disappointed.  If sci.aquaria does go
away, perhaps alt.aquaria will still be around, and can be retreaded
to serve the diabolical purposes of "aquarium science".

And now, a (schizophrenic?) Q&A session:

Why another fish group?  I believe the need exists.  I believe the
support exists.

Why rec.aquaria?  Peter's poll showed support for this name.

Why not just rename sci.aquaria to be rec.aquaria?  All things in good
time.  If rec.aquaria becomes the roaring success that everyone
claims, and sci.aquaria languishes, then later we can hold a vote to
remove sci.aquaria.  Thus the renaming is accomplished.  I feel that
creating rec.aquaria first, and then seeing what happens, is the
simplest course.  Yes, my solution takes more time.  I haven't noticed
any shortage of time.  I have observed far too many flames.  I feel my
plan avoids those.

Why do anything?  As I see it now, the distribution of sci.aquaria is
flawed, because of the anarchy and rebellion caused by the name
controversy.  Also, alt.aquaria and sci.aquaria currently overlap
rather than complement each other.  As evidence, I point to the number
of crossposts between these two groups.

[End of meta-meta discussion]

Yes, if someone else hasn't done this by January SomethingOrOther,
then I'll take it up myself, unless someone convinces me that it's a
bad idea.  I think Greg W. could convince me.  Peter da Silva or Jeff
D., no chance.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas
	(First one up against the wall when the fish police arrived.)

In article <BBC.89Dec14164631@nysa.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
> Why another fish group?  I believe the need exists.  I believe the
> support exists.

Agreed. I'm not a "fish hater". And I don't see the need for another vote.
The poll I held satisfies all the requirements of a vote save the
discussion period... and I hardly think there's any shortage of that.

> Why rec.aquaria?  Peter's poll showed support for this name.

It certainly did.

> Why not just rename sci.aquaria to be rec.aquaria?

Renaming groups doesn't work very well.

> Why do anything?  As I see it now, the distribution of sci.aquaria is
> flawed, because of the anarchy and rebellion caused by the name
> controversy.  Also, alt.aquaria and sci.aquaria currently overlap
> rather than complement each other.  As evidence, I point to the number
> of crossposts between these two groups.

That's the purpose of my poll. To settle the question of which name was
preferred. For some reason, a large number of people seemed to think that
Richard's vote results meant that sci.aquaria was the preferred name.

> Yes, if someone else hasn't done this by January SomethingOrOther,
> then I'll take it up myself, unless someone convinces me that it's a
> bad idea.  I think Greg W. could convince me.  Peter da Silva or Jeff
> D., no chance.

Go ahead and run a vote. But I don't see why it's needed. My poll is at
least as valid as Richard's, and shows overwhelming support for the
creation of rec.aquaria. At this point I could care less what happens
to sci.aquaria.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (12/18/89)

In article <7316@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Go ahead and run a vote. But I don't see why it's needed. My poll is at
>least as valid as Richard's, and shows overwhelming support for the
>creation of rec.aquaria. At this point I could care less what happens
>to sci.aquaria.

So, where is rec.aquaria?  Get it created and Ben and I will crawl into the
rec.aquaria hole and not bother news.groups about fish again.  If it doesn't
get created, then yet another vote will have to be held to make it happen and
I won't be able to unsubscribe to news.groups ...
--
--------|	Rest assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Alien   |   		would scarcely get your feet wet.	- Deteriorata