[news.groups] Truncated Message-IDs

Some site along the following path is truncating Message-ID lines and
injecting the resulting (different) news articles back into the network.

From: cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards
Subject: Re: ksh executing a file without read permission
Date: 7 Dec 89 19:40:00 GMT

The original Message-ID was, of course, the same thing with `cp' appended.

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (12/18/89)

In article <21307@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes about
an article with a truncated header.

Both versions of the article arrived at hplabsz.  The differences were:

1c1
< Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.wizards
---
> Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards
5,9c5,7
< Date: 7 Dec 89 19:40:28 GMT
> Date: 7 Dec 89 19:40:00 GMT

Please note:

1) Differences in path were:

   Good path: hp-sdd!ncr-sd!ncrcae!hubcap!emory

   Bad  path: hp-ses!hpcuhb!hpsmtc1!hpda!motcsd!apple!usc

2) Keywords, Organization lines stripped in truncated version.

3) Newgroups line appears to have been changed in truncated version.

4) The Date headers are different.

5) Reference line mangled in truncated version.

I'm checking with the HP systems listed in the Path lines.  The
difference in the Date header seems a little odd to me.

Rob Sartin			internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
Software Technology Lab 	uucp    : hplabs!sartin
Hewlett-Packard			voice	: (415) 857-7592

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (12/19/89)

It appears that the problem is at samsung, from the several articles
I've looked at.  They seem to be taking two characters out of the
message id, at the end.  Also, this is being done to UK headers before
the domain name is reversed, thus the two characters end up subtracted
at the end of whatever is between the @ and the first .

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who