[news.groups] RFC: Creation Of Moderated Group "Rec.Audio.IHA"

tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) (12/05/89)

I am the moderator of a digested mailing list, Info-High-Audio.

Info-High-Audio was created to give an alternative forum for those
disgusted with the noise level of rec.audio. It has grown and evolved into
the forum for esoteric discussions of high end audio, anything from equipment
modifications to great sounding classic recordings to better sounding
equipment to methods of setting up equipment and listening rooms.

I have a delivery list of 350 addresses, 25 of those redistribution points
around the world, including feeding local bulletin boards. Needless to say,
Info-High-Audio has a large readership.

To allow others to participate (and make my delivery list a LOT smaller) I
propose to gateway Info-High-Audio right into the mainstream USENET
namespace. This article is an "official" call for a discussion. I propose
the name of the new, moderated, group be called "rec.audio.iha" for lack of
a better idea. If you have a better idea for a name, bring it up. When a
consensus seems to have been reached (someone will let me know what the
proper time period is) we'll have a vote.

If you have any individual questions, send me a personal message and I'll
try to answer them as best I can.

Please direct followups to news.groups. Thanks.

					- Tom

--
                   "A Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

Thomas Krueger    UW-Milwaukee College of Engineering    Electronics Shop
tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu     [moderator, info-high-audio]     +1 414 229 5172

pershing@athena.mit.edu (Michael A. Scheele) (12/05/89)

Rec.audio.iha has my support.

Go for it!

Michael

|  Michael A. Scheele --  MIT '91   Internet :  pershing@athena.mit.edu   |
|  UUCP :  {backbone..}!bloom-beacon!mit-eddie!mit-athena!pershing        |
|  Mail :  4 Ames Street ; Cambridge, MA  02139                           |
|  The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!  |

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (12/05/89)

[tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) recently posted that:
|I am the moderator of a digested mailing list, Info-High-Audio.

[description of very successful mailing list]

As a subscriber, I can attest that this is an interesting, informative
and worthwhile mailing list.  I'd prefer reading it as a newsgroup.
And it would seem to have plenty of supporters (although the postings
have declined a bit recently.)

As to the name, rec.audio.iha is probably a bit obscure.  Alternatives
which come to mind are:

	rec.audio.tech	-	Since the group does delve into the
				more technical aspects of equipment
				design

	rec.audio.high-end  -	But most of the rec.audio crowd
				probably already think that that is
				what rec.audio is all about

I'll vote for the group whatever the name (and the purists should
give us a break unless someone proposes sci.audio or comp.society.audio...
say, those do have a nice ring...  :-)

|					- Tom

BTW, Thanks for running the list, Tom!  Great job!!

        - Dale (N1US)   Encore Computer Corporation, Marlborough, Mass.

INTERNET:  cook@encore.com	"Clever people seem not to feel the natural
UUCP: buita \			 pleasure of bewilderments, and are always
    talcott  } !encore!cook	 answering questions when the chief relish
   bellcore /			 of life is to go on asking them."
				 	- Frank Moore Colby

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/05/89)

According to tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger):
>I propose the name of the new, moderated, group be called
>"rec.audio.iha" for lack of a better idea.

Here's a better idea:  "rec.audio.high-end".
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (12/07/89)

In article <1331@uwm.edu> tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:

>Info-High-Audio was created to give an alternative forum for those
>disgusted with the noise level of rec.audio. It has grown and evolved into

I wondered where all the interesting discussion of a year or two ago went!

>namespace. This article is an "official" call for a discussion. I propose
>the name of the new, moderated, group be called "rec.audio.iha" for lack of

You have my vote.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (12/07/89)

rec.audio.iha?   How about rec.audio.highend

Good idea.
bill

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

ricchetti@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ricchetti) (12/08/89)

> From: tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger @ College of Engineering Electronics Shop, UW Milwaukee)
> Info-High-Audio was created to give an alternative forum for those
> disgusted with the noise level of rec.audio. It has grown and evolved into
> the forum for esoteric discussions of high end audio, anything from equipment
> modifications to great sounding classic recordings to better sounding
> equipment to methods of setting up equipment and listening rooms.

> To allow others to participate (and make my delivery list a LOT smaller) I
> propose to gateway Info-High-Audio right into the mainstream USENET
> namespace. This article is an "official" call for a discussion. I propose
> the name of the new, moderated, group be called "rec.audio.iha" for lack of
> a better idea. If you have a better idea for a name, bring it up. When a
> consensus seems to have been reached (someone will let me know what the
> proper time period is) we'll have a vote.

I too would like to see something more "high-endish" than
rec.audio.  Yep, rec.audio.iha is obscure and I wouldn't
mind rec.audio.high-end.  Just for the fun of it though
I'd like to suggest either rec.audio.hifi or rec.audio.phile.

Mike Ricchetti             | "Well, ... I forgot | Phone: (508)-256-6600 x5916
HP-Apollo Systems Division | my wallet.  But I   | FAX:   (508)-256-2384
330 Billerica Rd CHR-03-DW | did bring my credit | UUCP: ...!apollo!ricchetti
Chelmsford, MA 01824       | card"-Was (not Was) | ARPA: ricchetti@apollo.HP.COM

jona@moss.ATT.COM (Jon M. Allingham) (12/09/89)

I vote yes.
--
----
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3637	AT&T Bell Laboratories (Whippany,NJ)

snoopy@sopwith (Snoopy) (12/11/89)

In article <1331@uwm.edu> tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:
| Info-High-Audio was created to give an alternative forum for those
| disgusted with the noise level of rec.audio.

These days, newsgroups without noise problems are rare.  :-(

| new, moderated, group be called "rec.audio.iha" for lack of
| a better idea. If you have a better idea for a name, bring it up.

Any thought on including the best articles from rec.audio, similar
to rec.humor.funny?  This would require someone, not necessaily (sp)
the moderator, to skim rec.audio looking for the best articles.

I'd like to see this done for more groups.  Perhaps rec.audio.bestof ?
There could be a whole series of 'bestof' groups, with rec.humor.funny
being the historical exception.

Those with a special interest and/or more free time could read the
regular, unmoderated version.  Others could read the moderated version,
which would be greatly reduced in volume.

    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy				"I read banned newsgroups."
  /_______\   cse.ogi.edu!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!qiclab!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     uunet!tektronix!tessi!illian!sopwith!snoopy

michiel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Michiel Fierst van Wijnandsbergen) (12/20/89)

Thomas Krueger proposes to create a new newsgroup for High-End
audio equipment, CD's etc.

In article <1331@uwm.edu> tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:
:
:I propose
:the name of the new, moderated, group be called "rec.audio.iha" for lack of
:a better idea.

I propose the name to be "rec.audio.highend".

Anyway, I vote yes, yES, YES !

--
#  Michiel Fierst van Wijnandsbergen   Internet fierst@idca.tds.philips.nl #
#  Philips Telecomm. and Data Systems  UUCP       ...!mcvax!philapd!fierst #