Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 04:34 CST
From: "Mehrzad Hemmat, University of Kansas, Lawrence" <HEMMAT@kuhub.cc.ukans.EDU>
Subject: Creation of soc.culture.iranian on usenet
To: chedley@jove.cs.pdx.EDU,
    madjid%computing.lancaster.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.UK,
    CGPAMUDJI%vax.swansea.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.UK,
    aam9n@uvaee.ee.virginia.EDU, Atilla_Hasekioglu@mts.rpi.EDU,
    solangi@sun.soe.clarkson.EDU, wesommer@athena.mit.EDU,
    rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca, ckk+@andrew.cmu.EDU,
    cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.EDU, CHRISTY@crvax.sri.COM,
    tittle@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU, daniel@pkmab.se, prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.GOV,
    bro@isis.rice.EDU, eederavi%pyramid.swansea.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.UK,
    heru@na.toronto.EDU, CALISGAN%DARCY.usc.edu@usc.EDU,
    jacob@blackbox.gore.COM, jdevoto@apple.COM, kannan@cis.ohio-state.EDU,
    SAPPHO@nic.ddn.MIL, wagner%cs.unc.edu@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.EDU,
    Orkun_Hasekioglu@mts.rpi.EDU, anissa@wellesley.EDU,
    scott@tekcrl.labs.tek.COM, shari@stock.cob.ohio-state.EDU,
    sb3q+@andrew.cmu.EDU, sunil@alv.umd.EDU, wahjono@silver.ucs.indiana.edu,
    YZKCU%CUNYVM.BITNET@rice.EDU, alan%essex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.UK,
    ankgoel@watmsg.waterloo.EDU

Hi,
Are you interested in forming the Soc.Culture.Iranian?
With a little more help we can succeed in forming this newsgroup.
A call for vote has been posted on a few of the newsgroups including
Soc.Culture.Misc. A copy of the recent call follows. If you are
interested, and have NOT voted yet, just follow the guidelines
or simply REPLY to this message.
Thanks.
Mehrzad Hemmat

                        CALL FOR VOTES
 This is the last call for votes for the creation of soc.culture.
 iranian (not moderated).
 Considering that there were no serious objections to the proposed name and
 purpose of soc.culture.iranian, after multiple discussion periods, and
 the acknowledgements of many interested individuals, I would like to
 officially take (collect) votes for the creation of this newsgroup.
 The newsgroup is intended to generally provide a media for those interested
 to express and share their views and feelings about *things* related to
 Iran and Iranians (Persians).
 The voting period will end at Midnight December 31st, 1989.
 To vote, send an e-mail to:

       Hemmat@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU       or
       Hemmat@UKANVAX.bitnet
       or simply REPLY to this posting.

 State your vote in a short sentence, and be explicit.
 Comments, discussions, and progress reports have been posted on
 soc.culture.misc and news.groups.
 I will acknowledge all votes by posting the results on news.groups, as
 permitted by the USENET guidelines.
 Thanks for participation.
 Mehrzad Hemmat
 Lawrence, Kansas
 U.S.A.
--
"...arise, arise from Death,      __  | ARPA: tittle@ics.uci.edu
you numberless infinity of Souls  \/  | BITNET: tittle@uci.bitnet

kannan@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Kannan Varadhan) (12/28/89)

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle)
>I would like to register an objection with the way this vote is being
>run.  I received direct e-mail solicitation for votes (to be sure, the
>request was for a vote, not for a "yes") and I believe that this
>practice should be strongly discouraged.  I get junk mail as it is,
>and do not want to see junk e-mail get started.
>
>Any discussion should go to news.groups.

I got the same note, and am still wondering how I am involved, or how
the gentleman got my name.  I, too, would like to register my objection
to this vote.

The fact that the request was one for a vote, and not a direct "yes"
seems minor nitpicking at best....sigh!

KANNAN
--
Kannan Varadhan, Ohio Supercomputer Center, Columbus, OH 43212  [(614) 292-4137]
email:	kannan@osc.edu	|  osu-cis!oscsunb!kannan