[news.groups] soc.culture.german?

dorai@psyche.rice.edu (Dorai Sitaram) (12/29/89)

When I see the list of soc.culture.* groups, I notice a yawning hole
where soc.culture.german should be!  This hole is particularly gaping
considering the recent demolition of the Wall, but single-shot
sensational upheavals aside, scg would be an appropriate medium for
postings on the people, culture, customs, events, hopes and fears in
the German(-speaking) part of the world.

How about it?  I can't imagine there would be anything less than
overwhelming (read newsgroup-forming) interest, both among Germans and
non-Germans, in creating such a newsgroup.  The group need not confine
itself to the (currently) two Germanys, but also address Austria and
Switzerland.  (The name "german" would then be negotiable, I guess,
except in the sense "German-speaking."  This kind of superset group
would be along the tradition of soc.culture.arabic, soc.culture.indian,
soc.culture.nordic and soc.culture.latin-america.)

Anyway, IMHO, scg (or whatever the name) is long overdue, and it would
be a very interesting group should it materialize.  Currently, there
is no other group where would-be-scg topics can be aired, except maybe
s.c.nordic, and that by a long stretch of the imagination.

This posting is only an informal suggestion.  I'm hoping some
German/Swiss/Austrian (or someone tremendously into these countries)
who also is knowledgeable about newsgroup formation will issue a
formal call for discussion and subsequently votes.

--dorai "just a Germany-watcher with a fragile familiarity with the
	language"
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles.

karls@hpccc.HP.COM (Karl Schricker) (12/30/89)

Dorai Sitaram (dorai@psyche.rice.edu) writes:
> When I see the list of soc.culture.* groups, I notice a yawning hole
> where soc.culture.german should be!

I've been wondering about this gaping hole myself!

> How about it?  I can't imagine there would be anything less than
> overwhelming (read newsgroup-forming) interest, both among Germans and
> non-Germans, in creating such a newsgroup.  The group need not confine
> itself to the (currently) two Germanys, but also address Austria and
> Switzerland.  (The name "german" would then be negotiable, I guess ...)

I'm certainly interested.  Currently, one has to rely on newspapers and
magazines shipped from overseas (at an outrageous cost) to keep up with
current issues.  It definitely should include Austria and Switzerland, and
IMHO a name of soc.culture.german would suffice.

> This posting is only an informal suggestion.  I'm hoping some
> German/Swiss/Austrian (or someone tremendously into these countries)
> who also is knowledgeable about newsgroup formation will issue a
> formal call for discussion and subsequently votes.

Yes!  Anyone?  If we don't perceive it having enough traffic to merit a
newsgroup, how about a mailing list?

Karl Schricker
karl@hpcts.corp.hp.com