[news.groups] Call for Discussion: comp.sys.sun.386i

cherry@mgh-coffee.Harvard.EDU (Mike Cherry) (12/21/89)

For the past few months I have been the moderator of the Sun386i mailing
list.  This mailing list currently has 285 subscribers many of which are
redistribution points.

I wish to begin discussion on the creation of a moderated newsgroup
called comp.sys.sun.386i.  This group like the present mailing list will
deal specifically with issues concerning the Sun Microsystems 386i models
(a.k.a.  RoadRunner).  I volunteer as moderator of this new group.

Mike Cherry
Sun386i mailing list moderator
cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu

cherry@mgh-coffee.uucp (Mike Cherry) (12/23/89)

I have just learned that the first character of newsgroup name can not be
a number. Thus the name comp.sys.sun.386i would be illegal. Is this correct?
If that name is not exceptible may I suggest comp.sys.sun.sun386.

Mike Cherry

Svante.Lindahl@front.se (Svante Lindahl) (12/24/89)

> I have just learned that the first character of newsgroup name can not be
> a number. Thus the name comp.sys.sun.386i would be illegal. Is this correct?

Really?  I have comp.sys.nsc.32k and comp.bugs.4bsd at this site,
and I get articles in them too.  I doubt that they are aliased from
some other groups somewhere between here and wherever the articles
are posted.
It may be good idea to avoid creating any new groups with this
property though.

Svante

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (12/24/89)

In article <3474@husc6.harvard.edu> cherry@mgh-coffee.uucp (Mike Cherry) writes:
#I have just learned that the first character of newsgroup name can not be
#a number. Thus the name comp.sys.sun.386i would be illegal. Is this correct?
#If that name is not exceptible may I suggest comp.sys.sun.sun386.

Huh?  We had a comp.sys.intel.432 for years (originallly net.intel.432 I
think, it was that far back).  It was eventually dropped when the 432
ceased to be of interest.   The news group worked - no alpha characters
at all.  If the article count in the parent group had ever reached 432
then inews would have just 'stepped over' the directory name.

I don't know if notes etc. could cope, but I don't recall anyone else on the
net at the time having technical problems with the group name so I guess it
could.

Regards,        "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"
        David Wright           STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

In article <3474@husc6.harvard.edu> cherry@mgh-coffee.uucp (Mike Cherry) writes:
| I have just learned that the first character of newsgroup name can not be
| a number.

  Someone has just lied to you. There is no such restriction. Newsgroups
are not FORTRAN variable names. There are many such groups already. The
name proposed is perfectly fine and descriptive, let's not let folklore
interfere with facts.

  From my active file:

comp.bugs.2bsd 00030 00030 y
comp.bugs.4bsd 00101 00101 y
comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes 00000 00000 m
comp.sys.atari.8bit 00113 00113 y
comp.sys.nsc.32k 00014 00014 y

that the world is flat!" - anon

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/28/89)

In <3474@husc6.harvard.edu> cherry@mgh-coffee.uucp (Mike Cherry) writes:
> I have just learned that the first character of newsgroup name can not be
> a number. Thus the name comp.sys.sun.386i would be illegal. Is this correct?
> If that name is not exceptible may I suggest comp.sys.sun.sun386.

I suggest comp.sys.sun.i386 to stay consistent with the extant comp.unix.i386.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

cherry@mgh-coffee.Harvard.EDU (Mike Cherry) (12/30/89)

Yes, please start the proposed newsgroup about Sun 386i's.  There are many
users of these systems who need this information and also need to come
together to get Sun to support these systems properly.

Regarding the name, I propose that it be comp.sys.sun.intel, or something
similar, to reflect the fact that there are now 486i's and that 386i's
can be upgraded.

Thanks a lot!			Alan Bleier	bleier@husc3.harvard.edu