[news.groups] You're Not A Kid!

sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) (12/08/89)

Who is this Antony guy, anyway?

He sure doesn't sound like a kid to me.  Listen to the way he talks!

"I wholeheartedly agree."

"adults can post their opinions in a reasonable, non-condescending
manner"

"However, because of this, there aren't enough of us to have the
voting power to get a new newsgroup created."

"Also, with all due respect, I don't see how posting 'do this if you
want to post' or posting the list of smilies is particularly
appropriate. "

>Antony A. Courtney				antony@lbl.gov
>Advanced Development Group			ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!antony
>Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory			AACourtney@lbl.gov

riiiight.

I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!

--
                                           For better or worse, it's
   sandro      sandro@rpi.edu              easier to obey a rule than

antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) (12/08/89)

In article <L'|#!%@rpi.edu> sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) writes:

>Who is this Antony guy, anyway?
>
>He sure doesn't sound like a kid to me.  Listen to the way he talks!
>
> [...senseless drivel about how and what I post deleted...]

Well, excuuse me for being literate!  Next time, I'll be sure and speak in
monosyllables just to make you happy!

Geez, grownups!  They bitch and whine if you use big words, and they bitch
and whine if your vocabulary is simple-minded!

Varied word choice makes things interesting to read, bozo!  Get a life...

>I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!

Oh, yeah?!!  Well in addition to not eating broccoli, _REAL_ kids don't give
other kids a hard time about using big words!!  So _THERE_!

			antony

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (12/09/89)

In article <4408@helios.ee.lbl.gov> antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) writes:
>In article <L'|#!%@rpi.edu> sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) writes:
>>He sure doesn't sound like a kid to me.  Listen to the way he talks!
>
>Geez, grownups!  They bitch and whine if you use big words, and they bitch
>and whine if your vocabulary is simple-minded!

And if you don't watch your language, we'll wash your mouth out with soap.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
		flexibility of assembly language.

jcsewell@disk.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (12/09/89)

In article <L'|#!%@rpi.edu> sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) writes:

>Who is this Antony guy, anyway?
>
>He sure doesn't sound like a kid to me.  Listen to the way he talks!
>
>I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!
>--
>                                           For better or worse, it's
>   sandro      sandro@rpi.edu              easier to obey a rule than
>   ======      sandro@rpitsmts.bitnet      to think for yourself.
>                                                       -Life In Hell

Unfortunately for you, as was pointed out earlier, this group goes out and is
part of a public network that is accessible to all people.  There is not, nor
should there be, any way to separate subscribers by any category.  Imagine if
comp.sys.ibm for example would only allow posts by ibm people.  That would
not contribute anything to the computing society as a whole.  You may have
guessed by the way I talk that I am not a kid either.  If you have assumed
this you are correct... I am 24 years old.  You discuss discrimination of
kids by adults, but are you any different trying to exclude all adults?  Try
working together to eliminate competition amongst the generations.  Let's
try community and not communism.
J. C. Sewell    ...!corpane!disk!jcsewell    " The violent take it by force"
1800 So. 2nd St              ...!coplex!jim  "    Matt 11:12               "
Louisville KY  40208         ...!panthr!jim <-If I can ever find UUPC)

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/09/89)

In article <4408@helios.ee.lbl.gov> antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) writes:
>In article <L'|#!%@rpi.edu> sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) writes:
>>
>>Who is this Antony guy, anyway?
>>
>>He sure doesn't sound like a kid to me.  Listen to the way he talks!
>Geez, grownups!  They bitch and whine if you use big words, and they bitch
>and whine if your vocabulary is simple-minded!
Me kid.  Me got ten and four years.  Me use thing what call place. Place is
school.  Me like call school.  Me use thing at school what me call with me
thing what I call thing at school with.
Obviously, the use of monosyllables in writing such as this, i.e. in the
company of Harvard students, is not what one would deem appropriate.  Antony
and I are almost the same age, and we often write more eloquently than those
who refer to themselves as English Lit. majors.  So sue us!
P.S. Either you're precocious, or you're "special". I prefer being
precocious, eh?

--
|Opus and Frodo live! | "Sometimes, when your cat just died and you've cut
off your favorite appendage(s) with a power saw and there's epoxy in the
Visine and you brush your teeth with Clearasil it helps to say 'What the
f*ck'" |  This signature consists of non-blanks separated by blanks.

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/11/89)

In article <1989Dec9.054230.20193@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

>Obviously, the use of monosyllables in writing such as this, i.e. in the
>company of Harvard students, is not what one would deem appropriate.  Antony
>and I are almost the same age, and we often write more eloquently than those
>who refer to themselves as English Lit. majors.  So sue us!
>P.S. Either you're precocious, or you're "special". I prefer being
>precocious, eh?

I remember that way back in the dark ages (when we dreamed about sci-fi
as opposed to living it), being precocious was the best way to get mauled
by your peers in the schoolyard.  I quickly learned to display a lot less
than I knew.

IMHO it is a *good_thing* to allow those younger posters (read: kids)
with means and intelligence, access to a method (USENET is a good place),
to express themselves and develop themselves as part of the larger
communicating community.  To deny this is to deny younger people the
ability to become future capable peers.  While I'm certainly not the
most elderly person on the 'NET, I wish to point out that I now work
*with* people who *used_to_be* kids.  The good ones seem to be those
who did have access to communications facilities that you and I now
take for granted (except when the power goes off, the drives crash,
or our software strangely becomes broken).  By all means, let's aid
their desire to learn and communicate!

Remember that USENET has a built-in mechanism that quickly weeds out
those that simply don't cut it.  Remember the Flame.  Those that survive
are generally (_insert_exceptions_here_) worth having around.

We need to provide every mechanism possible to develop individuals that
can communicate as well as Mr. Feen, as opposed to <_insert_your_favorite_
net.dweeb>.  The use of monosylabic text is not a pre-requisite for
USENET posting (or did I miss a new guideline somewhere).

I have seen newsgroups created that have a lot less merit than talk.kids .

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
    # Justice is only relative to what you can afford to prove in court.

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (12/13/89)

Jim Sewell writes:
->
-
-Unfortunately for you, as was pointed out earlier, this group goes out and is
-part of a public network that is accessible to all people.  There is not, nor
-should there be, any way to separate subscribers by any category.  Imagine if
-comp.sys.ibm for example would only allow posts by ibm people.  That would
-not contribute anything to the computing society as a whole.  You may have
-guessed by the way I talk that I am not a kid either.  If you have assumed
-this you are correct... I am 24 years old.  You discuss discrimination of
-kids by adults, but are you any different trying to exclude all adults?  Try
-working together to eliminate competition amongst the generations.  Let's
-try community and not communism.

I have to disagree with you here. I have 3 children ages 8 through 12, and
I would like to see them post here, if the content of the posting found
here seemed suitable, which it hasn't thus far.

In your analogy of comp.sys.ibm, you missed the point, it seems to me. Although
not restricted to IBM employees, the group does cater to owners and users of
ibm equipment, and you would not be very sucessful if you submitted postings
requesting configuration info about your VAX. Thus there is a de facto
segregation of the net by interest and newsgroup.

I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.

Why shouldn't children be allowed to play on the net, post things of interest
only to themselves, without having to be part of any noble cause such as
promoting unity among the generations? Let them waste a little bandwidth,
and learn how much fun it is.

Dewey Paciaffi

unccab@calico.med.unc.edu (Charles Balan) (12/13/89)

In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>Jim Sewell writes:
>-Sandro Wallach wrote:
>->I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!
>
>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
>
>Let them waste a little bandwidth,
>and learn how much fun it is.

USENET is a community and a non-segregated community.  If someone does not
want to subscribe to a group s/he is not forced to do so, equally if
someone wishes to subscribe to a group s/he is not dis-allowed.  There is
no segregation in USENET.  The same will be true for *.kids; One cannot
keep out non-.kids, no matter how desirable it would be.

I support Ben Feen's idea (and alt.kids-talk) and I don't think that he
ever meant to exclude adults, but to have a group that was _primarily_
for .kids to use.  But if I want to subscribe to *.kids, I will have to
limit my traffic in that group to kid-related topics or, justifiably, be
flamed to teeny-tiny miniscule cinders of ascii.

I am not "making-believe" that I am a child.  I am an adult...but in my
heart, I am young....and I hope I never change.

                            Charles Balan
UNCCAB@med.unc.edu   ,    UNCCAB@uncmed.uucp    ,   UNCCAB@unc.bitnet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  A Witty Saying Proves Nothing - Voltaire  %%%%%%%%%%%%

marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Marie desJardins) (12/14/89)

In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>Jim Sewell writes:
>-Sandro Wallach wrote:
>->I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!
>-
>-Unfortunately for you, as was pointed out earlier, this group goes out and is
>-part of a public network that is accessible to all people.
>
>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
>
>Why shouldn't children be allowed to play on the net, post things of interest
>only to themselves, without having to be part of any noble cause such as
>promoting unity among the generations? Let them waste a little bandwidth,
>and learn how much fun it is.

Hear, hear!  If this is going to be a forum for "real" kids then I
think the older "kid wannabes" and near-adults (like Antony) should
pipe down and see if we can't encourage younger kids (let's say in
the pre-high-school age frame) to speak up.  The rest of the net is
available for those who want to have intellectual discussions.
Anybody as articulate as Antony and the other alleged kids who have
been posting here can certainly find a forum for their views
on just about any topic.  I remember going in to work with my
mom when I was 8 or 9 and having a great time playing with punch
cards--but a kids' network discussion group would have been
even better!

Hopefully we can encourage Dewey and other parents of younger
kids to give their kids access to the net so they can start
something.  (But Dewey, you should realize that if this is
to be a kids' forum, SOME kid(s) is/are going to have to start
the discussions--it would be pretty ridiculous if some adult
said "OK, kids, why don't you all talk about cartoons now?"

Marie desJardins
marie@ernie.berkeley.edu

lesatz@castor.usc.edu (Eric Michals) (12/14/89)

In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:

>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.

I haven't seen a kid post on here yet..

It would be interesting to see if a kids only newsgroup would even get
any posts.

Eric

xin@nmsu.edu (Xin Wang) (12/15/89)

Eric Michals  (lesatz@castor.usc.edu) said

>It would be interesting to see if a kids only newsgroup would even get
>any posts.

 I am a kid and I am posting!

                             Xin

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/15/89)

>Hear, hear!  If this is going to be a forum for "real" kids then I
>think the older "kid wannabes" and near-adults (like Antony) should
>pipe down and see if we can't encourage younger kids (let's say in
>the pre-high-school age frame) to speak up.  The rest of the net is
>available for those who want to have intellectual discussions.
>Anybody as articulate as Antony and the other alleged kids who have
>been posting here can certainly find a forum for their views
>on just about any topic.  I remember going in to work with my
>mom when I was 8 or 9 and having a great time playing with punch
>cards--but a kids' network discussion group would have been
>even better!

Sigh.  I see things on the KIDS mailing list, like HI MY NAME IS BEN I"M 11
I LIVE IN MUNDELEIN I LIIJKNE TO PLAY NIONTENDNDNO.
	I realize that some kids are more articulate than this, but not all.
Maybe the kids with less proficiency in writing could get help from mom or
dad?

--

In article <7027@chaph.usc.edu> lesatz@castor.usc.edu (Eric Michals) writes:
>In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>
>>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
>
>I haven't seen a kid post on here yet..
>
>It would be interesting to see if a kids only newsgroup would even get
>any posts.
Well, I'm a kid, but then again, I'm the creator of this group.  Antony is
another.  Are there ANY others?
P.S. Maybe this is more of a forum to talk about kids from a kids
standpoint, as opposed to misc.kids, which does it from an adults
standpoint.

--

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (12/16/89)

In article <7027@chaph.usc.edu> lesatz@castor.usc.edu (Eric Michals) writes:
-In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
-
->I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
->kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
->they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
-
-I haven't seen a kid post on here yet..

Well, it's time to check again :-).

-It would be interesting to see if a kids only newsgroup would even get
-any posts.

It can only happen if the parents make it happen. My kids can use the
wordprocessor to write, but they like daddy to navigate the Usenet for
them (for now at least).

Dewey

antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) (12/16/89)

In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.

But wait!!  I _AM_ a kid!  honest!  I just turned 16.

In article <33190@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Marie desJardins) writes:
>Hear, hear!  If this is going to be a forum for "real" kids then I
>think the older "kid wannabes" and near-adults (like Antony) should
>pipe down and see if we can't encourage younger kids (let's say in
>the pre-high-school age frame) to speak up.

Maybe I'd understand this if my posts were somehow interfering with the natural
flow of discussion that was occuring here.  But There aren't any other kids
posting....

>The rest of the net is
>available for those who want to have intellectual discussions.

The implication of this is that the discussion here should NOT be
intellectual.  <FLAME ON>  BOY, __THAT__ would be a shame, wouldn't it?!

That a young person might actually have the ability to _THINK_ and might not
fulfill your image of what and how kids should talk and interact!

>Anybody as articulate as Antony and the other alleged kids who have
>been posting here can certainly find a forum for their views
>on just about any topic.

Would you people listen to what you are saying?!

The implications of this are pretty shocking.  Yes, I can maybe be described
as being articulate.  And yes, a few of my accomplishments are sometimes
more than people have come to expect of the rest of the people my age.

SO?!

I don't consider myself ABOVE people my age.  I'm just like any other kid.
I enjoy talking with and making friends with people my own age.  And I enjoy
discussions on the issues affecting people my age.

What you are suggesting is that because I am articulate and intellectual[sic],
that I somehow don't belong with the rest of my peer group.  This is exactly
the attitude that ends up getting passed on to your children.  In this
country, kids who do well in school and kids who are smart and kids who don't
talk a certain way are shunned.  The kids who are popular in schools these
days are frequently the ones who are not particularly smart or articulate.
Kids see this.  And a fair number of SMART kids make the unconscious or
conscious decision to not pusue any intellectual ventures (computers,
sciences, math, etc.) because it may alienate them from their peer group.
Kids are supposed to STRIVE to be articulate and should strive to exploit
the capabilites of their brains.

And kids who achieve this should be REVERED, not alienated.

This is NOT me fishing for compliments.  _I_ don't need them.  This is a
certain amount of anger towards the attitude you have.

And then adults wonder why there is an ALARMING illiteracy rate....

Attitudes like yours don't help...

			antony
Antony A. Courtney				antony@lbl.gov
Advanced Development Group			ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!antony
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory			AACourtney@lbl.gov

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/16/89)

    Enough, already!! You people are crazy!! I am a seventeen year old person
and I call myself a kid because everyone else calls me one. That isn't the
point. The point is, if these guys want their own forum where they can discuss
things WITHOUT adults with the attitudes I've seen over the past weeks getting
in their way, let them (or should I say let us?)! It's no skin off ANYONE'S
nose!! If you think the group is ridiculous, you have the option not to read
it, and I suggest that option be exercised. Don't get down their throats
because they think the group is justified! *I* think the group is justified!
Wanna scream in *MY* face???

    And also, the point of stereotypes amongst our respective age groups is a
valid one, and one that people seem to forget when they turn 21 and can legally
suck death from a bottle. In order to conform, you have to be a 'jock'. If you
aren't on some form of atheletic team, you are shunned. This results in high
drop-out rates when people get discriminated at school by the students and the
faculty. The schools look the other way. Sometimes we have to go around the
public school system and get our education elsewhere. Why can't we, the shunned
ones, unite? According to what I've heard, we aren't mature enough to have
intelligent discussion. I, for one, can be put in a uniform and sent halfway
around the world to kill people at any minute. But I'm not mature enough to
have an intelligent conversation?
    I see where I stand. I thank you all for patronizing me and my fellow non-
adults-therefore-non-humans. May you all find yourself in my shoes.
-------
              |    Thom Rounds
  _  /|       |
  \'o.O'      |    INTERNET: tar%maine.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
  =(___)=     |    BITNET: TAR@MAINE
     U        |    UUCP path: psuvax!psuvm.bitnet!maine!tar
 Ack! Phht!   |

jcsewell@disk.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (12/26/89)

In article <33190@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Marie desJardins) writes:
>In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>>Jim Sewell writes:
>>-Sandro Wallach wrote:
>>->I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!
>>-
>>-part of a public network that is accessible to all people.
>>
>>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
>
>Hear, hear!  If this is going to be a forum for "real" kids then I
>think the older "kid wannabes" and near-adults (like Antony) should
>pipe down and see if we can't encourage younger kids (let's say in
>the pre-high-school age frame) to speak up.

You missed my point entirely.  <You being both and not directed at Marie>.
I was responding to the comment saying "Anyone over x years old has to shaddup".
I am all for the younger folks using and becoming aquainted with computers and
the net!  I would love it if all people felt comfortable posting in all groups.

I was not trying to discourage posting by "kids" but rather the snobbish
exclusion of adults whose opinions are also to be valued.

Jim Sewell				jim@disk
  Newsfeed : Digital Information Systems of Kentucky
		(502) 968-5401 thru 968-5406

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (12/29/89)

Preface: This thread has gone a while now and I'm adding my $0.02 whether
anyone likes it or not... (direct any flames - yes it will be one of those -
to /dev/null)... if you don't wish to see the rest hit  n  ...

In article <952@disk.UUCP> jcsewell@disk.UUCP (Jim Sewell) writes:
>In article <33190@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Marie desJardins) writes:
>>In article <452@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>>>Jim Sewell writes:
>>>-Sandro Wallach wrote:

from Sandro Wallach:
>>>->I think only real kids should be allowed to talk here!
Why not after all *it's only* an alt.* group!

from Jim Sewell:
>>>-part of a public network that is accessible to all people.
More like a computer network and accessible to some people (namely, those
who can get out here. And, granted there is no law that says you have leave,
there's also no law that says you have to subscribe to it either. And, that
is the key *subscribe*, noone twisted your arm. Did they?. As far as those
who want to make this a group for "kids" to post to "kids", afterall that's
the name of the group, all they have to do is do it. And, if the "kids" don't
like what you (the adults who are acting worse than they are) have to say,
they can tell you what to do with your comments and you can't do sqwat (sp?).

from Dewey Paciaffi:
>>>I would like to see a newsgroup where kids would be able to post with other
>>>kids, and not have to be annoyed by the adults who like to "make believe"
>>>they are children. Perhaps that's asking alot.
Not really, us "adults" have 300+ other newsgroups, not to mention X maillists
that "we" can "make believe" (and some more than others :-> ).

from Marie desJardins:
>>Hear, hear!  If this is going to be a forum for "real" kids then I
>>think the older "kid wannabes" and near-adults (like Antony) should
>>pipe down and see if we can't encourage younger kids (let's say in
>>the pre-high-school age frame) to speak up.
I agree. "Kids" have to *start* some place!!!!!!!!!!

again from Jim Sewell:
>You missed my point entirely.  <You being both and not directed at Marie>.
Not from where I'm sitting.
Here comes the BULL...
>I was responding to the comment saying "Anyone over x years old has to
>shaddup". I am all for the younger folks using and becoming aquainted with
>computers and the net!  I would love it if all people felt comfortable
>posting in all groups.

FLAME SUIT ON... (AND WILL REMAIN ON!)
>I was not trying to discourage posting by "kids" but rather the snobbish
>exclusion of adults whose opinions are also to be valued.
Jim, your not their parents so you can't tell *ANYTHING*! If they don't
want parents or "adults" who want to give them "opinions (that) are also
to be valued"; fine, that is their right so BUZZ OFF AND LET THEM GET ON
WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Jim Sewell				jim@disk
>  Newsfeed : Digital Information Systems of Kentucky
>		(502) 968-5401 thru 968-5406

---
Take care and have a good day.	 	John.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES.
UUCP: mit-eddie!frog!jp

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/30/89)

Awright guys.  Everybody has been discussing who should post here, who shouldn't etc. etc. etc.
	Well, this group is for discussions of interest to kids.  It doesn't matter how old, young, short, tall, stupid, intelligent, or vocal you are - The
key is in the SUBJECT of the matter, not the age of the poster.
End of subject, eh?

--

jcsewell@disk.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (12/31/89)

In article <10920@frog.UUCP> jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) writes:
>again from Jim Sewell:
>>You missed my point entirely.  <You being both and not directed at Marie>.
>Not from where I'm sitting.
>Here comes the BULL...
>>I was responding to the comment saying "Anyone over x years old has to
>>shaddup". I am all for the younger folks using and becoming aquainted with
>>computers and the net!  I would love it if all people felt comfortable
>>posting in all groups.
>
>FLAME SUIT ON... (AND WILL REMAIN ON!)
>>I was not trying to discourage posting by "kids" but rather the snobbish
>>exclusion of adults whose opinions are also to be valued.
>Jim, your not their parents so you can't tell *ANYTHING*! If they don't
>want parents or "adults" who want to give them "opinions (that) are also
>to be valued"; fine, that is their right so BUZZ OFF AND LET THEM GET ON
>WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they do have a right to post on the net, and I'm glad they are since
the youth are the adults of the next few years and they are always the
ones that make advances in technology... not many of the old timers do.

You are also right that I am not a parent of any of these posters.

If, however, they do not want to see the opinions of adults then they can
either leave the net (which would be a shame in more ways than one) or they
can hit "n" when they see names of known adults such as myself.  They CAN
NOT, however, force a public newsgroup to be limited by age restrictions.
They can request (which if they had I would not even be subscribed here)
but they must learn that they can not force their will upon the world.  Too
often young people (not neccessarily anyone reading this) think they can
force their will/opinion/etc onto others and all that causes is rebellious
attitudes that eventually get them into more trouble than they ever imagined.
This will most likely be my last post in this group so as not interrupt the
other conversations with fighting... matter of fact I think I will unsubscribe
now.  Mail is welcome if anyone has a different opinion but fights don't
belong in newsgroups.  I think I have made my opinions clear and perhaps those
who are trying to boss the world will see that there are better ways to do
things than TELLING someone they must do something.

To all the others in the group (with their heads screwed on straight) good
luck with this group and may you make many new friends and discoveries on
the USENET for many years to come.