[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: rec.arts.erotica

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/22/89)

I would like to find out if there is interest in a group of this name,
to be a companion to, but not a replacement for, alt.sex.

CHARTER:

The intent of this group is to be a place where people can post ONLY:

- original fiction of a sexual nature:

- reviews, lists and pointers to erotic lierature available elsewhere.

REASONING:

There has been some frustration expressed with the present volume of
postings in alt.sex. There is a certain subset of the postings which
could be called 'erotic fiction', which a number of sites have expressed
an interest in archiving.

In addition to relieving some of the traffic in alt.sex, this group
would make it easier for those sites which wish to archive only these
articles.

I believe that rec.arts.erotica is the appropriate place in the Usenet
hierarchy for a group of this nature, though I am not adverse to
suggestions which may be preferable. I believe the net has matured
(sic), so that while soc.sex could not be created some years ago
(despite I recall, a large vote in its favour), the present net may
be more tolerant. IMO This is especially true, since based on the number
of such postings in alt.sex, I expect the volume of this group to be
reasonably low, and perhaps more acceptable than a catch-all sex group.

MODERATION:

I would prefer for this group not to be moderated, but I suspect it
would be unavoidable to keep the noise down. The only purpose of the
moderation would be to restrict postings which do not meet the above
charter. I have no intention of taking any action regarding the taste,
sexism, orientation or legitimacy in any individual posting. If it is
considered desirable, I could make sure the appropriate postings
are rot13ed.

I could also possibly add keywords which would give readers a guide of
what to skip. But I would not otherwise touch postings. Spelling errors,
profanity, etc. remain as is. Read at your risk.

If someone else wants to moderate, be my guest. I just want to get this
thing off the ground.

COMPILATION COPYRIGHT:

There will explicity be none. Any such rights which may exist are
renounced at this time.

Please direct comment to news.groups.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/23/89)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/23/89)

In article <25926E9D.316A@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>The intent of this group is to be a place where people can post ONLY:

>- original fiction of a sexual nature:

>- reviews, lists and pointers to erotic lierature available elsewhere.

Well, that last one should be, I think,
"reviews, lists, and pointers to erotica available elsewhere",

i.e. not exclusively literature, but the whole of what could be termed
erotica.

I think this is an excellent proposal by Evan, who would undoubtably
be a superlative moderator.

Let me through in a few poems while I'm here,

	Meta
	Bill
	Meta
	who soft keeps for him his love's
	long girl's body sweet to fuck
	Bill.
			- William Faulkner

	Of beasts, man is the only one
	Created by our God
	Who purposely, and for mere fun
	Plays with his Mammoth Cod!
					- Mark Twain

On a less literary note, let me throw in a quick limerick,

	Old Louis Quatorze was hot stuff.
	He tired of that game, blindman's buff,
	Up-ended his mistress,
	Kissed hers while she kissed his,
	And thus taught the world soixante-neuf.

heh heh
aem
--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/23/89)

I should think alt.sex.erotica would be your best bet.  One person's
"erotica" is another's "slime" (just ask my wife) and should best be
kept under the alt.sex family.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (12/23/89)

Okay, I'll vote YES!

If people can submit prose to alt.prose and movie reviews to
Rec.arts.movies, why not amateur erotica?

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare				Jesus Saves!
> gld@cunixB.cc.columbia.EDU *temp.	Gretzky gets the rebound -
> gld@cunixc.BITNET			he shoots, he scores!

  Perhaps this would fit better under alt.sex.something-or-other for all
of the reasons that they are alt groups.
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <2592700B.3216@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
| suggestions which may be preferable. I believe the net has matured
| (sic), so that while soc.sex could not be created some years ago
| (despite I recall, a large vote in its favour), the present net may
| be more tolerant. IMO This is especially true, since based on the number

  I have seen no indication that the character of management in the
industry has changed. I think the moderated group is probably
appropriate, but I would be a lot happier seeing it under the alt
category, since that is where most of the other controversial groups
reside. Be warned that at least three people have suggested a separate
group and all have been shouted down on the assumption that they wanted
censorship.
that the world is flat!" - anon

cel@uxrd15.UUCP (Ed Leihy (x5949)) (12/27/89)

In article <2592700B.3216@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I would like to find out if there is interest in a group of this name,
>to be a companion to, but not a replacement for, alt.sex.
>
>CHARTER:
>
>The intent of this group ...
>
>- original fiction of a sexual nature:

Yes, I would certainly like to publish!!

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (12/28/89)

Evan Leibovitch writes:
 > The intent of this group is to be a place where people can post ONLY:
 >   - original fiction of a sexual nature:
 >   - reviews, lists and pointers to erotic lierature available elsewhere.
 >
 > REASONING:
 >
 > There has been some frustration expressed with the present volume of
 > postings in alt.sex. There is a certain subset of the postings which
 > could be called 'erotic fiction', which a number of sites have expressed
 > an interest in archiving.

An alternative, at least for archiving sites, is to start up an .index
for alt.sex that indexed the relevant postings in alt.sex.  At present
no newsreaders know what to do with the data in index newsgroups, so
that won't help people reading news to sift through the discussion.

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/28/89)

In <8912230929.AA06191@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
(Gary L Dare) writes:
> If people can submit prose to alt.prose and movie reviews to
> Rec.arts.movies, why not amateur erotica?

No reason; they already do to alt.sex and could cross-post to
alt.prose with perhaps only some bickering from the handful of people
that like to bicker about, in alt.prose.d, many of the things posted
to alt.prose including several stories from talk.bizarre that didn't
happen to meet _their_ definition of prose.

I am not 100% sure what your question means.  In the USENET and altnet
as a whole, no one is preventing anyone[1] from posting erotica, lack of
rec.arts.erotica notwithstanding.  If this group proposal fails, that
situation will almost certain remain the same, or perhaps someone will
finally make alt.sex.stories which gets suggested every couple of
months.  This latter group is indeed what I would suggest for the
discussion forum, but it has its own special problems with how it
could possibly be perceived differently from rec.arts.erotica
concerning the merit of the stories.  I don't fully understand this
(or just about anything dealing with society, hang-ups and general
perceptions of sex -- from where I sit it looks like an endless stream
of irrational contradictions and confusion) so I won't get involved in
that part of the argument.

[1] There are of course probably numerous counter-examples in
microcosms around the net representing everything from people
preventing themselves to sites not getting the groups or their
preventing any posting at all.  The creation of rec.arts.erotica
would probably not significantly change these examples, though.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

michelle (Bijo Unknown, Poet) (12/29/89)

In article <2592700B.3216@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca
(Evan Leibovitch) proposes the subgroup alt.sex.erotica.

my vote:

Group         [x] yes
Moderated     [x] no
--
We should all get accupressure together, and take advantage of the grope rate.                                                                      --stevenb

threth@agora.hf.intel.com (the wyvern) (12/31/89)

  I'm all in favor of creating a newsgroup as you describe, whether it's
rec.arts.erotica or alt.sex.erotica--or comp.nerds.lonely for that matter!
:-)  Reading alt.sex has turned into an adventure with the 'k' key, and
my alt.sex "KILL" file runneth over...
  This has been proposed often enough; let's see it actually tried!

No fancy .sig!                                threth@agora.hf.intel.com

lebrun@geocub.greco-prog.fr (01/04/90)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I would like to find out if there is interest in a group of this name,
>to be a companion to, but not a replacement for, alt.sex.

Well, yes, I am interested... And there are many potential readers around
me...

Charles-Albert LEBRUN       uunet!{mcsun,mcvax}!inria!geocub!goofi!lebrun
CS-student                  lebrun@mdl.bull.fr