[news.groups] REC.AUDIO.HIGH-END: More Information

tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) (01/04/90)

In E-mail discussions with Trisha, I discovered I left out a piece of
information that might affect the way many people vote on the proposed
creation of Rec.Audio.High-End.

When I moderate Info-High-Audio, sure, I might toss an inappropriate
article, but I never have. The main reason Info-High-Audio is moderated is
that it is a DIGEST. I collect articles and put them together into digests.

If you would like to see an issue or two of Info-High-Audio to help decide,
you can get current and previous issues via anonymous FTP from

csd4.csd.uwm.edu      in the directory     high-audio

Thanks for your interest.

							- Tom

--
                   "A Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

Thomas Krueger    UW-Milwaukee College of Engineering    Electronics Shop
tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu     [moderator, info-high-audio]     +1 414 229 5172

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (01/05/90)

In article <1771@uwm.edu> tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:
>When I moderate Info-High-Audio, sure, I might toss an inappropriate
>article, but I never have. The main reason Info-High-Audio is moderated is
>that it is a DIGEST. I collect articles and put them together into digests.

Can anyone explain any advantages (in USENET) that a digest format has over
the normal group article set?

The digest format is a pain-in-the-fingers when using tools like rn, and
is hopeless except for read-only mode.

Digests are acceptable if they mean information collected in another forum
is being fed that would otherwise not be, but I do believe we should try to
minimize the use of digests within USENET wherever possible.

In particular I see no reason why USENET originated articles should be
presented back to USENET in anything other than normal article format.
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray