[news.groups] Stop Wasting Bandwidth On Binaries

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/05/90)

In article <12760001@hpkslx.HP.COM> peter@hpkslx.HP.COM (Peter Huang 1-691-3417) writes:
>First, I support the posting of binary/sources in this group.
>Because, 1) I just start using os/2 and I don't have anything to start
>with. Having these binares helps a lot.

But having the binaries in a separate newsgroup wouldn't stop you from
having access to the binaries.

One of the things I like about the newsgroup method is that it allows me, as
an administrator, to decide what I am going to receive.  As I am basically
a leaf node, I can download the stuff that I want/need and shut off the rest
before it is sent to me by my feeder site.  I only have one 2400 baud modem
and it is needed for other things besides news so I cut down on the total
amount of bandwidth by not receiving all groups including the binary groups.
This is easy when they are subsumed under one heading.  If individual groups
are going to sneak this extra bandwidth in to me by posting binaries to
non-binary groups then I may have to cut out more news to keep my modem free
for business.  Let's not undercut the scheme that has been worked out after
much trial and error.  At least not without much wider discussion.

Followups directed to news.groups

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.