[news.groups] News Amiga stats

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (01/06/90)

>    Here are some interesting figures for news in the last month :-
>
>	comp.sys.amiga is   34th in popularity
>			    4th in volume
>			    doesn't rank in crossposting
>

>Ian Rowlands                      | "I don't want to be political, but you
>Dept. of Electrical Engineering   |  can't trust the ALP!"
>University of Melbourne           |                        -Joh Bjelke-Petersen
>Email :- ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au |  (Flames to ianr@uluru.ecr.mu.oz.au)

    How are these figures compliled? I don't understand how a group can be 4th
in volume and 34th in popularity. It seems that if a group has a lot of volume
it must be popular.

    Please e-mail responses as this group could probably care less.

    Monty Saine

God I hate these news programs that force you to send a larger message then
you want to!!!!!!

eat this rn

bye

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (01/06/90)

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

}>
}>    Here are some interesting figures for news in the last month :-
}>
}>	comp.sys.amiga is   34th in popularity
}>			    4th in volume
}>			    doesn't rank in crossposting
}>
}>
}    How are these figures compliled? I don't understand how a group can be 4th
}in volume and 34th in popularity. It seems that if a group has a lot of volume
}it must be popular.

"popularity" means "how many people read it".  That kind of disparity means
either that the postings tend to be longer [I can't remember if 'volume' is
measured in kbytes or postings]; or that the fewer people just post more per
person.

  /Bernie\