[news.groups] Volunteer for rec.arts.movies.serious moderator/editor

thakur@cfa250.harvard.edu (Manavendra K. Thakur) (12/31/89)

From article <50208@bbn.COM>, by rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro):

>   rec.arts.movies.serious
>
> Anyway, let's forget the "classical" idea and the more general idea of
> fragmenting r.a.m and focus instead on discussing the merits of this
> proposal: a moderated group for serious/scholarly discussion of any
> and all movies. Moderation is essential here, I think, otherwise it
> will be no different from r.a.m. There are probably a few things we
> should exclude from the start: any kind of lists, contests, trivia,
> movie or actor identification, etc. On the other hand, we should NEVER
> exclude articles solely because of the movies they discuss: if someone
> has something serious to say about Mothra movies, fine.
>
> If interested people agree that the group should be moderated, we need
> a moderator. Volunteers? I'm willing though not anxious (and possibly
> not able -- see below). Anyone else?

I belive such a newsgroup is an excellent idea.  I also think it for
it to work, it would need to be moderated.  I've been waiting for this
kind of newsgroup for a long time, and I very much would like to help
it succeed.

So... At the risk of overcommitting myself, I will volunteer to
moderate this newsgroup.  Or perhaps I could I moderate it in
conjunction with one or two other people.  (Having an editorial board,
as it were....)

As for my qualifications, I have posted a number of in-depth reviews
of films over the past two years, and all of these are available from
Evelyn Leeper (the moderator of rec.arts.movies.reviews).  People have
sent me email saying they didn't necessarily agree with what I had
written, but most of the letter-writers did think that my reviews made
interesting points and were well-written.  I have not posted anything
to the net in about six months, but I have continued writing reviews
for the MIT student newspaper.

In the past several months, I have concentrated mainly on expanding my
horizons by watching large numbers of films.  I saw 48 films in ten
days at the Toronto Film Festival this September, and I attended about
a dozen screenings at the New York Film Festival in October.  In
November, I covered the Jewish Film Festival here in Boston.  And, of
course, I've been attending screenings at local theaters all along
(usually 8-9 films a week).

In the past few years, I have had the chance to interview noted
directors such as Louis Malle, Jan Troell, and Henry Jaglom, and I've
also written articles about (for example) the state of American
cinema, compared the popularity of FIELD OF DREAMS to the success of
politicians like Ronald Reagan, as well as other articles related to
cinema as a whole.  (Not all of these were posted to the net, but I
can make them available to anyone who wishes to see them.)

I've worked as a projectionist at the Harvard Film Archive for more
than two years, during which I have been exposed to many many films
(and their directors) from around the world, with all their attendant
differences in point of view.

For the past three years, I have organized and conducted talks at MIT
during the January intersession about the use of music in films and
what a good score can do for a film.

As for writing and editing skills, I have been exposed to both good
and bad editors at the MIT student newspaper.  The worst editors were
the ones who couldn't care less about film as a medium of serious
study, and consequently did a large amount of casual rewriting of my
reviews, often over my loudly stated objections.  (One told me that
"kid sibling" was preferable over "kid brother or sister" because the
former is "more journalistic."  I just stared at him in disbelief.)

The best editors, to the other hand, cared about film, and they took
the time to sit down with me and work with me to improve the quality
of my articles.  If they didn't understand what I meant in a
particular passage, they would ask me to clarify and perhaps reprhase
or rewrite those passages.  If I did not want to change something,
they listened to my arguments and then made a judgment taking both my
concerns and their experience into account.  If I was really adamant
about something, they would usually let me have my way while making
sure that I understood the reasons for their objections.

Having gone through such experiences, as well as interacting with
Evelyn Leeper with rec.arts.movies.reviews, I have a good sense of
what a moderator/editor should be like.  Working with my fellow
reviewers at the newspaper on their own articles gave me additional
experience that I can rely on now.

I am very much devoted to thinking and writing about film as a medium
worthy of serious study.  I agree that such study should not be
limited to "art" films, although I do think that these so-called art
films are more likely to reveal interesting things if studied closely.
But film is a popular entertainment medium as well as an art form, and
I would like to see intellectually honest articles that address all
aspects of film, not just the ones that I personally am most
interested in.

Accordingly, I would be very grateful to have the opportunity to
moderate and edit this new newsgroup if it is created.  I think I have
a great deal to offer, and I would welcome the challenge of serving in
this capacity.

                                Manavendra K. Thakur
                                thakur@zerkalo.harvard.edu
                                thakur@cfa.harvard.edu

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/01/90)

In article <1812@zerkalo.cfa250.harvard.edu> thakur@cfa250.harvard.edu (Manavendra K. Thakur) writes:
> At the risk of overcommitting myself, I will volunteer to
>moderate this newsgroup.  Or perhaps I could I moderate it in
>conjunction with one or two other people.  (Having an editorial board,
>as it were....)
>[impressive cv follows]

OK, that let's me off the hook. Consider my name (as possible
moderator) withdrawn. I hope all volunteers for the moderator job are
also volunteering to conduct the vote when the time comes, in the
event that I'm unable to do so.

>I belive such a newsgroup is an excellent idea.  I also think it for
>it to work, it would need to be moderated.

Apparently there are some strong feelings that moderated groups are a
bad idea unless the group is "technical" (I know of two people who
will vote 'no' for that reason alone). Since I don't want 'no' votes,
I'd like to address this issue up front. IF we want a group with a
sophisticated level of discourse, a level which presupposes some
expertise in the discipline in question (scientific or otherwise), why
isn't a moderated group the way to go?  Or, to put it another way, if
the level of discussion is what distinguishes "technical" groups from
other groups, why shouldn't this proposed group be regarded as
"technical" in that limited sense, regardless of its place in the
hierarchy? Certainly that's the kind of group I was thinking of both
for this proposal and the earlier r.a.m.classical proposal (in fact
that's exactly what distinguishes the proposed group from r.a.m).

I'm not wedded to the idea of having this group moderated. It's an
idea that makes sense to me right now, but I'm happy to listen to
counter-arguments and change my mind if appropriate.

reiher@onyx.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Reiher) (01/03/90)

In article <50239@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>Apparently there are some strong feelings that moderated groups are a
>bad idea unless the group is "technical" (I know of two people who
>will vote 'no' for that reason alone). Since I don't want 'no' votes,
>I'd like to address this issue up front. IF we want a group with a
>sophisticated level of discourse, a level which presupposes some
>expertise in the discipline in question (scientific or otherwise), why
>isn't a moderated group the way to go?  Or, to put it another way, if
>the level of discussion is what distinguishes "technical" groups from
>other groups, why shouldn't this proposed group be regarded as
>"technical" in that limited sense, regardless of its place in the
>hierarchy?

As far as I'm concerned, the group will never work if it isn't moderated.
The net is regularly flooded with new people unfamiliar with the way things
work.  They invariably post things to newsgroups that seem plausible.  If
it's a movie newsgroup, then why shouldn't they post their query about what
a key grip is?  If it's a serious newsgroup, so much the better, because it's
a serious question to them and serious people are more likely to know, right?
Even if no one is consciously trying to break the rules, junk will leak in.
One joker who thinks that the idea of "serious" discussions of film is
ridiculous can also sabotage the idea maliciously.  Such people have appeared
in rec.arts.movies in the past.

The main argument against moderation is that the moderator might moderate
improperly.  A moderator has the power to impose the censorship of their own
views on a newsgroup.  For instance, "_The Road Warrior_ isn't a serious
movie, so nothing you have to say about it belongs in this newsgroup."  Actual
cases are likely to be less blatant, but the fear is that the moderator will
reject appropriate articles for inappropriate reasons.  Some people feel that
the real problem isn't that someone will knowingly censor the group, but that
fuzziness of the boundaries of appropriateness will make some censorship
unavoidable.  As Richard earlier mentioned, should the "Blade Runner"
discussions about whether the central character is a replicant be included?
They involve careful analysis of the film by people who care about it very
much, so maybe they should.  On the other hand, that strand of discussion
eventually led to a lot of trash.  The moderator would have to choose a point
for cutting it off, and that choice is bound to offend someone.

Despite this argument, I don't think this newsgroup will last without
moderation.  If it can't be moderated, it's hardly worth doing at all.  Does
anyone actually know of a case where a newsgroup had serious problems with its
moderator?  I've never heard of one.  If it is moderated, however, I feel very
strongly that it should be moderated only on the basis of inclusion/exclusion.
I don't think that the moderator should serve as an editor, beyond possibly
pointing out the reasons that an article was rejected.  Most articles on the
net are not intended to be publication-quality writing.  Forcing people to
write at that level is likely to have a chilling effect on postings to the
newsgroup. People will decide not to post an article, as they know that the
moderator will only return it to fix some spelling errors and unsplit an
infinitive.  Also, it raises the fears of moderator censorship even more.  In
addition, it places a greater burden on the moderator.  The more burden the job
carries, the harder it will be to carry out and the slower the output of
articles.  They've got to move through the moderator system at a rapid clip
in order to make the newsgroup work.  (Slowness of response is perhaps the
second greatest argument against moderation.)  If a serious, publication-
quality discussion of film is really wanted, the electronic magazine model
of OtherRealms is a better model than a moderated newsgroup.

I'll probably vote for this newsgroup, no matter what form it takes.  However,
I do have doubts about its viability.  Is there some good reason not to try a
mailing list for a couple of months, to see whether there is enough interest
in serious discussions of film to warrant a newsgroup?

			Peter Reiher
			reiher@onyx.jpl.nasa.gov
			. . . cit-vax!elroy!jato!jade!reiher

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/03/90)

In article <2477@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> reiher@onyx.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Peter
Reiher) writes:
>[arguments in favor of having a moderator; I agree, so I won't
>respond directly]
>  If it is moderated, however, I feel very
>strongly that it should be moderated only on the basis of inclusion/exclusion.
>I don't think that the moderator should serve as an editor, beyond possibly
>pointing out the reasons that an article was rejected.

In general, yes. It may happen once in a while that the moderator
perceives that a submission is likely to be misinterpreted or
misunderstood. In this case, some editorial work on the moderator's
part would be useful, especially if the submission is likely to be
misinterpreted as a flame.

>I'll probably vote for this newsgroup, no matter what form it takes.  However,
>I do have doubts about its viability.  Is there some good reason not to try a
>mailing list for a couple of months, to see whether there is enough interest
>in serious discussions of film to warrant a newsgroup?

Because of the difference in outreach between mailing lists and
newsgroups, I don't think it's appropriate to use a mailing list as a
testing ground. If there already is a working list, maybe that's
another story. But creating a new one as a test seems wrong to me.

In general, I think a (newly created) mailing list only makes sense
when there's a large interested group, but not large enough to pass
the newsgroup requirements (lists that are *too* small sputter and die
because they don't reach 'critical mass'). The only way to determine
this is to have a vote. Therefore I would say it makes more sense to
take the vote first. If it's a resounding 'yes', we'll just create the
group.  If it's not so resounding, but nonetheless there are lots of
'yes' votes, we can consider setting up a mailing list (and we'll have
a good base of names to work from). If there aren't many 'yes' votes,
we can drop the idea altogether.

Rather than trying to predict in advance how much interest there is,
and choose mailing list or newsgroup accordingly, let's let the voting
determine that for us. Then we can make an informed decision based on
real numbers instead of on speculation.

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (01/03/90)

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>Apparently there are some strong feelings that moderated groups are a
>bad idea unless the group is "technical" (I know of two people who
>will vote 'no' for that reason alone). [Rest of paragraph deleted.]

>I'm not wedded to the idea of having this group moderated. It's an
>idea that makes sense to me right now, but I'm happy to listen to
>counter-arguments and change my mind if appropriate.

I strongly urge that rec.cinema (or whatever name comes to pass; this
one is my favorite) be moderated, if we're aiming for the kind of
quality discussions that have been talked about.  Otherwise, I predict
that there are going to be arguments and flamefests and lots of energy
expended complaining about inappropriate postings.

There are appropriate forums for arguments and flamefests, but I don't
think that rec.cinema needs to have that kind of colorful-discussion-
sliding-into-libel.  The thought of having current release noises
replaced by arguments over the group content seems like a pretty
fruitless and distasteful exercise to me.  I get my fill of verbal
attack in news.groups.

Karen

--
  Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
      ..uunet!everexn!karen      ..pacbell!mslbrb!everexn!karen

ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) (01/03/90)

In article <2477@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> reiher@onyx.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Peter Reiher) writes:
>                                                                    ...  Does
> anyone actually know of a case where a newsgroup had serious problems with its
> moderator?  I've never heard of one.

I believe one of the religion or politics group had a bit of a fuss at one
point, but I doubt that sort of problem would arise here.  We can burn that
bridge when we come to it (as my nephew would say).

> I don't think that the moderator should serve as an editor, beyond possibly
> pointing out the reasons that an article was rejected.  ...
>        ... People will decide not to post an article, as they know that the
> moderator will only return it to fix some spelling errors and unsplit an
> infinitive.

As the moderator of a group that has some connection with the discussion at
hand (all right, rec.arts.movies.reviews, if you must know :-) ), I never send
an article back to have spelling or minor grammatical errors fixed--I just fix
them.  Only if I think there is some question what the writer meant, or it I
want to change major parts (sometimes the case if I'm taking something from
rec.arts.movies that's stuck in the middle of a discussion thread and want it
to stand alone) would I send it back to the author with questions.  Of course I
do only one or two a day, whereas the traffic for rec.arts.movies.serious
would presumably be higher.  However, I know that Saul Jaffe, moderator of
SF-LOVERS DIGEST, also corrects spelling errors and he processes several dozen
articles a day.

I'm all in favor of this new group.  Especially since someone else will be
moderating it. :-)

Evelyn C. Leeper  |  +1 201-957-2070  |  att!mtgzy!ecl or  ecl@mtgzy.att.com
--
If I am not for myself, who is for me?  If I am only for myself what am I?
And if not now, when?  --Hillel

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (01/03/90)

     My own two cents...

     Why do we need to have this group moderated? People write that a
moderator would be there to correct errors <maybe> and question what
one might mean in a statement. To me, that doesn't seem like enough to
show the need for a moderator.
     Under what circumstances would a moderator of this group not post
an article <with the exception of those articles that would not be related
to movies whatsoever>? If I write an article regarding some aspect of a
movie could I expect it to be returned if the moderator didn't consider
it to be serious enough?
     Don't get me wrong! I'm in favor of the group and am not trying to
trash someone. I just don't see the need for a moderator. I just feel
that those who want to continue to post articles about BTTFII and
Hoverboard will continue to do it in r.a.m and those who want to discuss
the technical and artistic aspects will include r.a.m.s in their daily
reading.

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (01/05/90)

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>In article <2477@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> reiher@onyx.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Peter
>Reiher) writes:
>>I don't think that the moderator should serve as an editor, beyond possibly
>>pointing out the reasons that an article was rejected.

>In general, yes. It may happen once in a while that the moderator
>perceives that a submission is likely to be misinterpreted or
>misunderstood. In this case, some editorial work on the moderator's
>part would be useful...  [rest deleted]

If there's going to be a moderator for rec.arts.cinema, then I think
it's important to reach concensus on the moderator's scope.  While I
agree with Evelyn's posting on moderators correcting articles for
spelling and grammar, because I think that makes things nice for the
reader, I also agree with Peter that the moderator should not edit.
Too often, I think, we assume that we know what the writer is trying
to say; while, really, only the writer knows his/her intentions, and
the rest of us are educated guessers.  I know that I would object to
having someone mess with something that I wrote, unless s/he were to
return it to me first for my approval.

As for the mailing list idea:  I've been on mailing lists, and am on
mailing lists, and they're a pain.  I think that rec.arts.cinema has
plenty of people who will support the forum.  Richard suggests that
we take a vote and see what comes of it.  Sensible and pragmatic.

And I do like the name .cinema--sorry that I don't have available
the name of the fellow that suggested .film, but I do want to say
that I, also, am into semantics, and to me "cinema" sounds classy,
not snooty.  Hopefully, the newsgroup will be as classy as the name.

Karen
--

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/05/90)

In article <702@hq.af.mil> illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) writes:
|     My own two cents...
| . . . . I just don't see the need for a moderator. I just feel
|that those who want to continue to post articles about BTTFII and
|Hoverboard will continue to do it in r.a.m and those who want to discuss
|the technical and artistic aspects will include r.a.m.s in their daily
|reading.

My two cents: my experience tells me that there will be a lot of
spillover and those who now want the separate "serious" or "cinema"
group will then be in the same situation they are now in r.a.m.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) (01/05/90)

In article <702@hq.af.mil> illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) writes:
>      Why do we need to have this group moderated? ...
>      Don't get me wrong! I'm in favor of the group and am not trying to
> trash someone. I just don't see the need for a moderator. I just feel
> that those who want to continue to post articles about BTTFII and
> Hoverboard will continue to do it in r.a.m and those who want to discuss
> the technical and artistic aspects will include r.a.m.s in their daily
> reading.

I read comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards, which are designed to be in
some sense parallel to rec.arts.movies and rec.arts.cinema (as proposed): one
for serious ("heavy") question, one for everything else.  Neither is moderated.
If I had a dollar for every article cross-posted to both that belonged only in
c.u.q because it was a basic question, but where the poster had decided to post
to every group that looked reasonable to her/him, I'd be a wealthy lady.

People who think those who want to post about BTTFII will stay out of
rec.arts.cinema are, I believe, overly optimistic about the facts of Usenet
life.

Another, perhaps less important reason, is that many sites refuse all rec/soc/talk
groups except those that are moderated.  They do this on the basis of cost and disk
space rather than any great love of moderation itself.

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/07/90)

In article <1990Jan4.205018.9072@everexn.uucp> karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) writes:
rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>[re: moderator as editor]
>>It may happen once in a while that the moderator
>>perceives that a submission is likely to be misinterpreted or
>>misunderstood. In this case, some editorial work on the moderator's
>>part would be useful...  [rest deleted]

> I know that I would object to
>having someone mess with something that I wrote, unless s/he were to
>return it to me first for my approval.

Yes, this is what I meant -- returning an article to the sender for
clarification (rather than the moderator "fixing" it himself). I
continue to think that this is a useful function, though I'd like to
restrict it to the situation I described (a rare one, I think).
Spelling mistakes and the like shouldn't be touched by the moderator
and shouldn't be considered important enough to return a submitted
article for correction.

>And I do like the name .cinema--sorry that I don't have available
>the name of the fellow that suggested .film, but I do want to say
>that I, also, am into semantics, and to me "cinema" sounds classy,
>not snooty.  Hopefully, the newsgroup will be as classy as the name.

Accusations of snootiness or elitism are inevitable in this case, we
might as well get used to it. Another good reason for having a
moderator...