[news.groups] Moderating rec.arts.cinema

peters@jester.cc.msstate.edu (Frank W. Peters) (01/14/90)

In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
>comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
>discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print

Hmmmm.  Last fall on comp.unix.wizards someone asked how to tell a wizard...
which led to a discussion of how to pronounce 'vi' which led to a discussion
of how to pronounce various other unix commands...which led to a discussion
of how to pronounce '*'...which eventually led to a bunch of flames about
the fact that none of this was appropriate to comp.unix.wizards...which led
to flames that these people should lighten up...and so on.  The thread lasted
for hundreds of messages.  All of this resulted from a single message that
actually posed a reasonable and appropriate question (how does a company
with no unix experts recognize such an expert to hire him).

I think comp.unix.wizards is a good example of why r.a.c *should* be
moderated.  Remember, even discussions that start appropriately can go
astray.  A competent moderator can be a tremendous help in getting such
a thread back on track.

Frank W. Peters        Systems Programmer     Computing Center & Services
peters@CC.MsState.Edu  Peters@MsState.Bitnet  (601)325-2942
"I can't give you brains, but I can give you a diploma." -- The Wizard of OZ

In article <292@delta.cs.msstate.edu> peters@jester.cc.msstate.edu (Frank W. Peters) writes:
>In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
>>comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
>
>Hmmmm.  Last fall on comp.unix.wizards someone asked how to tell a wizard...
>which led to a discussion of how to pronounce 'vi' which led to a discussion
[...etc. etc. I don't know why she swallowed a fly, perhaps she'll die...]

That particular round of lunacy was exacerbated by certain among
the c.u.w regulars who chose to stamp their little feet and
whine like net.newborns about how it wasn't making them happy.

A prompt posting of the canonical million-pronunciations
list kills those discussions toot-sweet, and two dozen
regulars emailing the list to someone naive enough to ask
the question teaches that person not only about that
question, but also about any other question that he could
have reason to feel might rather obviously have been asked
by someone in the past.

But then, just perhaps there is some tiny alteration
of the tone of the question, or some insight in the
neophyte's summary or subject line, but the moderator
sees only "how do you glyph 'splat'?" hears only the
screams of malcontents and compulsive elitists, and
applies his own fear of criticism.  Poof.  Some small
important part of the group has died, and only to save
a string of petty discomforts.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat
it, but those who force a prevention of history are doomed
to stagnation.

				--Blair
				  "I'd say something about Eastern
				   Europe, here, but that'd be