[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Renaming comp.sys.apple comp.sys.apple2

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (01/08/90)

	This is a formal call for discussion of the renaming
comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.  The comp.sys.apple group is for
discussion of Apple // (][,2) computers, *not* all Apple computers.
Newcomers to news often post Macintosh questions to comp.sys.apple.

	It is generally felt that changing the name to comp.sys.apple2
will cut down on postings about "The Computer for the Rest of Them".

	In addition there is currently a vote running for the creation
of comp.sys.apple2.tech.  There will be slightly less chaos in the
universe if comp.sys.apple is renamed.

	This discussion will last two weeks and barring major
objections will be followed by a vote.

->Spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (01/09/90)

From article <1990Jan6.194945.12170@world.std.com>, by spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua):

> 	This is a formal call for discussion of the renaming
> comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.

Makes sense to me.

> 	It is generally felt that changing the name to comp.sys.apple2
> will cut down on postings about "The Computer for the Rest of Them".

True.

> ->Spike

|If my IIgs 'll just hold out for a few more months 'til GS+...|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546       Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (01/09/90)

It's fine with me!  Jeff Stern.
|   Internet:   jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu   |   universalistic              |
|   CompuServe: 72647.1527@compuserve.com  |   response                    |

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (01/09/90)

Go for it!

The name is confusing, since the Macintosh is also an Apple computer.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Driggs, Idaho -- cultural hub of the west!
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \

herald.usask.ca.UUCP (Terry Maton,Maintenance Building,4570,) (01/10/90)

From article <1990Jan6.194411.12030@world.std.com>, by spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua):

> 	This is a formal call for discussion of the renaming
> comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.  The comp.sys.apple group is for
> discussion of Apple // (][,2) computers, *not* all Apple computers.
> Newcomers to news often post Macintosh questions to comp.sys.apple.

	I agree with this idea.  Anything that can cut down on
	unwanted postings would be appreciated.

	At this point I would like to add my BUG......
	PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can everbody try to remember to put
	(preferably in the subject) which macines are being talked
	about.  ie. ALL APPLE ][s  or  GS ONLY.

	This would be most appreciated in comp.binaries.apple2 as well
	as I hate downloading programs, running them through BINSCII
	and SHRINKIT just to find they don't work on my machine :(

	Terry Maton
	University of Saskatchewan
	Saskatoon
	Saskatchewan
	Canada

uucp address:	maton@herald.USask.ca
bitnet address: MATON@SASK.BITNET

	DISCLAIMER:
	The above most definitely may be my opinion, but you can be
	sure that it also could be yours if you would like it to be.
	If you find it is yours, you can be sure that I agree with
	you and that, in my opinion, you too have good taste and
	are obviously right just as I am.

dwj@acd4.UUCP ( Dan Johnson ) (01/16/90)

In article <1990Jan6.194945.12170@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com
(Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>	This is a formal call for discussion of the renaming
>comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.  The comp.sys.apple group is for
>discussion of Apple // (][,2) computers, *not* all Apple computers.
>Newcomers to news often post Macintosh questions to comp.sys.apple.

Shouldn't that be phrased to indicate *unambiguously* that the entire
//-series is intended, rather than just the Apple ][?  (You know, the
predecessor to the Apple ][+.)  :-) After all, if an occasional
Macintosh user passes up comp.sys.mac and posts to comp.sys.apple, we
should allow for users who might think they should look for
comp.sys.apple2gs.  ;-) Hmmm....  This occured to me because I do have
an Apple //GS on my desk at home, and a vintage 1979, serial #017354
Apple ][ in a closet (the 16k language card is flaky and one of the
keys is mostly dead).

Also (more seriously), if someone wants to post about the Apple I or
the Apple ///, would that posting be welcome in the renamed group?  I
don't remember ever seeing a posting about the Apple I, and it's been
a while since the last Apple /// posting, but we should prepare for
this contingency now.

Other issues (like the logistics of shifting INFO-APPLE and the timing
of the rmgroup for comp.sys.apple) can wait until this actually passes
(which is probably why no one else has mentioned them yet).
--
Daniel W. Johnson              Applied Computing Devices, Inc.
UUCP: ...!uunet!acd4!dwj       Earth: 39 25 02 N / 87 19 55 W (approx.)