[news.groups] Proposed Objectivism group

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (01/18/90)

In article <4M410G2xds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:
> In article <2M41O75xds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
> > Even when Verne was writing his books, the science in them was known to
> > contain huge amounts of dubious or just plain erronious information.
>
> That may be true, but it's irrelevant.  What's relevant here is
> whether he was a novelist trying to be a scientist, or a scientist -
> of whatever accuracy - presenting his ideas via fiction.  Ditto
> for Ayn Rand.  She was a philosopher presenting her views via
> novels and plays and screenplays for the quite sensible reason that
> more people read fiction than monographs.

Let me clarify this, so as to eliminate any confusion.  My point is that
Verne, regardless of whether his science was accurate, was motivated
to write fiction so as to broaden the audience for what he thought
were scientific facts.  Similiarly, Rand, who authored dozens of essays
and edited a long-running philosophical newsletter, also used novels
as a means of presenting her philosophy to a broader audience.  Thus,
she was not, as was charged, a novelist trying to be a philosopher,
but, rather, a philosopher who doubled as a novelist.

Of course, one could also note that the original snidery against
Rand was irrelevant anyway.  Why should a novelist be any less
qualified to  formulate philosophy than anyone else?  Certainly
there is nothing intellectually debilitating about composing a
novel.

To continue the clarification, let me re-present the partial
bibliography, asteriskizing the non-fiction works.

> ANTHEM
> WE THE LIVING
> THE FOUNTAINHEAD
> NIGHT OF JANUARY 16TH
> ATLAS SHRUGGED
> FOR THE NEW INTELLECTUAL *
> CAPITALISM: THE UNKNOWN IDEAL *
> THE VIRTUE OF SELFISHNESS *
> THE NEW LEFT: THE ANTI-INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION *

BTW, THE FOUNTAINHEAD was made into a movie, for which Rand
herself wrote the screenplay.  It starred Patricia Neal and
Gary Cooper, among others.  There was talk of a miniseries
of ATLAS SHRUGGED on NBC, at one point slated for September of
1980.  The deal fell thru --- a shame; it would have been
fascinating to see what effect, if any, it would have had
on the elections that year.

Jeff

--
  If a hungry man has water, and a thirsty man has bread,
  Then if they trade, be not dismayed, they both come out ahead.

                                   -- Don Paarlberg