[news.groups] KILL files

bee@cs.purdue.EDU (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (11/17/89)

Said dianeh@binky.UUCP (Diane Holt):
(in article <22313@gryphon.COM>)

| [ a lot of meaningless drivel and pointless flames ]
| [ deleted for the reader's benefit ]

Congrats, you've just made my news.groups kill file.

Hm, maybe I should just put "gryphon" in my kill file; this makes
three posters from there now.  Can anyone from gryphon stand up and
show good taste in news.groups?  I'm beginning to wonder if it's even
possible for intelligent discussion to come from there.

                                          B.E.E.
--
  Z. Beeblebrox   |  "Ich bin ein Berliner!" -- President Kennedy, 1961
  (alias B.E.E.)  |  "Tear down this wall!" -- President Reagan, 1987

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (01/23/90)

jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>In article <381@dbase.A-T.COM> dveditz@dbase.A-T.com (Dan Veditz) writes:
>>Just put the habitual flamers in your KILL file and don't worry about
>>it.  If you really want free discussion about the subject, let it be
>>free discussion.
>
>Until every site running news - on any OS, not just Unix - has kill
>files, we should not make net policy based on their existence.

Of course we should.  Kill files are as near to universal as any
newsreader feature worth naming.

Are we to base all policy decisions on pandering to the least common
denominator, thereby removing the incentive to modernize?

Backwards compatibility is one thing, but holding back the rest of the
net for the mere convenience of those running obsolete software, is
quite another.

Wayne();

In article <51244@bbn.COM> mesard@labs-n.bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) writes:
> Of course we should.  Kill files are as near to universal as any
> newsreader feature worth naming.

Well, since neither B or C news is distributed with a newsreader that
supports KILL files, perhaps you might want to rethink this position.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \