[news.groups] rec.arts.cinema: moderated or not?

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/05/90)

I received email from "jamsheed@atherton.com" about the moderator
issue. Reply email bounced, so I thought I'd address his concerns here
(somewhat).

He writes:
>What's the deal with moderation? Why is there a need for one?
>Please post pros and cons.

The pro's have been posted already (in fact, everyone who's expressed
an opinion is in favor for more or less the same reasons). Briefly,
the example of r.a.m demonstrates what happens to a 'movies' group
when it isn't moderated. Since r.a.c is designed explicitly to avoid
those things which have driven so many people from r.a.m (some are
listed in the proposed charter, but there are others), and since a
moderator is the only way to ensure the "seriousness" which will
distinguish r.a.c from r.a.m, it would seem that the group must be
moderated.

No one has offered any con's. If you have some in mind, please post
them! The consensus is clearly in favor of having a moderator, which
means that if you're opposed, you'll have to begin trying to convince
people. I urge you to send comments to news.groups about this -- if
you have strong reasons for not wanting this group to be moderated,
air them in news.groups.

.rs

In article <50437@bbn.COM> rshapiro@bbn.com writes:
>Briefly,
>the example of r.a.m demonstrates what happens to a 'movies' group
>when it isn't moderated.

You mean, it discusses MOVIES?

Sorry to say, rs, but r.a.m is one of the few groups that actually
does do what its name implies, and does it both broadly and deeply.
I'd not mind having r.a.cinema around (if only because I got A++'s
on all my papers in lit. crit. and film analysis classes and love
an opportunity to get pedantic where it will be appreciated), but
there's no way I'm going to unsubscribe r.a.m, where listing of
pedestrian movie matters can develop into philosophical discussions
on the esoterica that pervade the history of film.

What I mean to say is, Rec.Arts.Cinema or Fight! but don't
you step on my rec.arts.movies.

On the matter of moderators, I vary from ambivalent to
contrary.

Certainly a moderator can seive out the rampant bozos, but
who moderates the moderator?  Will we be lucky and have an
intelligent, understanding moderator who recognizes the
difference between flamage and scatological oratory?  Or
will we instead be fettered with a den mother who rejects
repetitive ideas, grades spelling, and interjects comments
into others' essay?  One who understands that an accounting
of films delineating purposeful ambiguity is not the same
as a list of actresses one would most like to shtup?  Or
one who asks all the time "what does this mean, where it
says, 'mise-en-scene'?"

No, I have always felt that it is the purview of the group
to police itself, and a moderator only becomes an editor,
an unknowable force that prevents free expression.

More important, what happens to the two-thirds of a group
that leaves frustrated during the initial year of its
existence, which will be spent crossposting to news.groups
argument of proper method for moderation of spoilers and
spoiler warnings, and what to the further one-sixth who
abandon it because of the eventual choice of methods?

>No one has offered any con's. If you have some in mind, please post
>them! The consensus is clearly in favor of having a moderator, which
>means that if you're opposed, you'll have to begin trying to convince
>people. I urge you to send comments to news.groups about this -- if
>you have strong reasons for not wanting this group to be moderated,
>air them in news.groups.

Here it is.

I'd no sooner see rec.arts.cinema moderated than I'd see the
nude scenes cut out of Ecstacy.

				--Blair
				  "Now THERE are some
				   out-takes someone
				   should dig up..."

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/06/90)

In article <5200@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <50437@bbn.COM> rshapiro@bbn.com writes:
>>Briefly,
>>the example of r.a.m demonstrates what happens to a 'movies' group
>>when it isn't moderated.
>
>You mean, it discusses MOVIES?
>Sorry to say, rs, but r.a.m is one of the few groups that actually
>does do what its name implies, and does it both broadly and deeply.

It discusses a handful of movies in a highly restricted way (but in
tremendous volume). It doesn't come close to living up to its name
(the art of cinema is not exactly a topic of choice on r.a.m). It can
hardly be called 'broad' when 90% of the postings cover this week's
hot movie; it can hardly be called 'deep' when major topics are "who
would make a better Batman than Michael Keaton" or "in what movies
does Michelle Pfeiffer appear nude".

There are things r.a.m is useful for (lists of various kinds, simple
factual queries, casual reviews of very current movies). General,
substantive, historically informed discussion of cinema is not
something r.a.m is useful for.

>there's no way I'm going to unsubscribe r.a.m

Of course, no one suggested that you should. Ideally, there will be no
overlap between the two groups.

>More important, what happens to the two-thirds of a group
>that leaves frustrated during the initial year of its
>existence, which will be spent crossposting to news.groups
>argument of proper method for moderation of spoilers and
>spoiler warnings, and what to the further one-sixth who
>abandon it because of the eventual choice of methods?

This is an interesting hypothesis. Is there any real basis for it? One
fact I do have: a significant number people have *already* abandoned
r.a.m, in frustration. What happens to *those* people?  This proposal
is trying to address their concerns.  Speculaton about people leaving
a group that doesn't even exist yet seems a bit premature, to say the
least.

The evidence at hand is this: r.a.m is not meeting people's needs, in
part because it's unfiltered. A new, moderated group can help fill the
gap.

In article <50487@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>In article <5200@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>In article <50437@bbn.COM> rshapiro@bbn.com writes:
>>>Briefly,
>>>the example of r.a.m demonstrates what happens to a 'movies' group
>>>when it isn't moderated.
>>
>>You mean, it discusses MOVIES?
>>Sorry to say, rs, but r.a.m is one of the few groups that actually
>>does do what its name implies, and does it both broadly and deeply.
>
>It discusses a handful of movies in a highly restricted way (but in

No, it discusses all movies (more than 30,000 of them, if you're
still watching MPAA numbers) and in whatever way happens to slip
past the gestalt-dazed freely associating minds of its readers.
Recent topics range from Vangelis soundtracks to the feasibility
(tongue-in-cheek or otherwise) of using actual magnetic repulsion
to make a simulation of antigravity reasonable enough to be filmed
and post-produced into the history of "movie magic."

>tremendous volume). It doesn't come close to living up to its name
>(the art of cinema is not exactly a topic of choice on r.a.m). It can

I don't know a student of film and/or cinema who doesn't make that
very obvious distinction between the high art of the medium (usually
called "films") and the supporting bulk of the medium (always called
"movies").  It's stuffed in there with the "arts" because of denotative
technicalities, like rec.arts.tv... (0.015625 :-))

>hardly be called 'broad' when 90% of the postings cover this week's
>hot movie;

As well it should.

In many ways, in _very_ many ways, rec.arts.cinema will be _very_
much less broad than is r.a.m.  I personally will be concentrating
on Renoir and Woody Allen (but damn you if you want a list... :-)).
There are probably fewer than a hundred films that fit into anyone's
categorization of serious cinema.

>it can hardly be called 'deep' when major topics are "who
>would make a better Batman than Michael Keaton" or "in what movies
>does Michelle Pfeiffer appear nude".

Let's put that one into the "broad" category (pun recognized, you
worry about intentions).

>There are things r.a.m is useful for (lists of various kinds, simple
>factual queries, casual reviews of very current movies). General,
>substantive, historically informed discussion of cinema is not
>something r.a.m is useful for.

Sure it is.  Rec.arts.cinema would be better, is all.

>>there's no way I'm going to unsubscribe r.a.m
>
>Of course, no one suggested that you should. Ideally, there will be no
>overlap between the two groups.

Gak!  Death.  I'll crosspost on those infrequent occasions
when it makes sense to do so, and I'll thank the r.a.c
readers (this includes the inevitable moderator) to
appreciate it.

>>More important, what happens to the two-thirds of a group
>>that leaves frustrated during the initial year of its
>>existence, which will be spent crossposting to news.groups
>>argument of proper method for moderation of spoilers and
>>spoiler warnings, and what to the further one-sixth who
>>abandon it because of the eventual choice of methods?
>
>This is an interesting hypothesis. Is there any real basis for it? One
>fact I do have: a significant number people have *already* abandoned
>r.a.m, in frustration.  What happens to *those* people?

That's their choice to deny their interest in the subject.
You have to be a self-made usenet martyr to cut out the
net's only source of information on what you would now
claim to be so important that you would heft the opprobrium
of politicking for it.                           ^--------^
                                                (Daffy bait.)

>This proposal is trying to address their concerns.
>Speculaton about people leaving a group that doesn't even
>exist yet seems a bit premature, to say the least.

Speculation about needing a moderator for a group that doesn't
even exist yet has been demonstrated to be premature, and has
even been claimed not to have been controversial (re earlier
reports that there had been no good arguments against it, and
more recent assertions that those reports were damn lies.)

I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print, and
the occasional infestation (e.g., c.u.w's bout with "what
makes a wizard / how do you pronounce *") can be dealt with
by quietly admonishing the transgressors through email.

>The evidence at hand is this: r.a.m is not meeting people's needs, in
>part because it's unfiltered. A new, moderated group can help fill the
>gap.

R.a.m is not moderated, and there's been no evidence that
anyone's asked for it to be.  There's never been much more
than cursory complaint regarding the volume of the group.
The fact that it's not meeting a need is separate; it isn't
constructed in a manner that would encourage more
intelligent discussion, but it's never actually discouraged
it.  I've written some long and rather involved postings to
it on such things as Renoir's oeuvre and a rational,
consistent interpretation of Tampopo.  They were ignored,
but not any more than they would have been if they had been
posted into rec.arts.cinema.

Frankly, I don't understand your apparent need to
denigrate rec.arts.movies.  There is no need to do so
as justification of rec.arts.cinema.  Rec.arts.cinema
is justified by its definition.  Throw off your insecurity
and lets get on to the damn vote.

				--Blair
				  "But I still think cahiers.cinema
				   is the newsgroup name not to be lost."

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (01/12/90)

In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
>comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
>discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print

I agree.  This newsgroup is supposed to include indepth discussion
on a variety of historical, artistic and technical subjects.  That
alone should be enough to make it self-moderating.

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (01/12/90)

In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In many ways, in _very_ many ways, rec.arts.cinema will be _very_
>much less broad than is r.a.m.  I personally will be concentrating
>on Renoir and Woody Allen (but damn you if you want a list... :-)).
>There are probably fewer than a hundred films that fit into anyone's
>categorization of serious cinema.

But remember that ANY MOVIE WHATSOEVER is fair game for this group.
The important point is that the articles be serious and substantive.
We made it explicit in the charter that we would not be restricting
ourselves to "art films".

>it.  I've written some long and rather involved postings to
>it on such things as Renoir's oeuvre and a rational,
>consistent interpretation of Tampopo.  They were ignored,
>but not any more than they would have been if they had been
>posted into rec.arts.cinema.

I hope that turns out to be untrue -- that's the whole point of the
proposal. If you post serious articles to r.a.c, and it stirs up as
little interest as such articles attract in r.a.m, I'll certainly be
disappointed. The group will be something of a failure in that case.

>Frankly, I don't understand your apparent need to
>denigrate rec.arts.movies.  There is no need to do so
>as justification of rec.arts.cinema.  Rec.arts.cinema
>is justified by its definition.  Throw off your insecurity
>and lets get on to the damn vote.

My rhetoric may have gotten carried away. I wasn't denigrating r.a.m,
I was pointing out its inadequecies because those inadequecies are the
strongest argument in favor of r.a.c (and, in my opinion, a strong
argument in favor of moderation as well). I had the distinct feeling
that you were missing this point. 1000 pardons if I misconstrued your
intent :-)

As for the vote, I think we should wait until the issues are as
settled as they're going to get. I don't want to call for a vote while
discussion is still active.

steves@rat.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Scher) (01/13/90)

In article <10954@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
>In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
>>comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
>>discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print
>
>I agree.

I don't.  I plan to make r.a.cinema the first new group I ever vote 'yes'
for, because I really enjoy those types of discussions, and I find them
very interesting and educational.  I will probably not post, because I
don't feel competent to do so.  However, I do want to be able to UNDERSTAND
the postings.  I want them to be "approachable," but still well reasoned, well
researched, and well written.

Is there a way that we can do a three tiered vote?

1) Do we want the group?
2) Do we want it moderated?
3) The name?

I find it hard to believe that people would change their vote for/against a
group just because it is moderated.  I find it even harder to believe that the
name would affect people's votes.

OK.  Can we vote now?  I'm eager to see this group get going.

Steve Scher    Program in Measurement and Affect   744 Ballantine Hall
               Indiana University                  Bloomington, In.  47405

ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) (01/13/90)

In article <10954@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
> In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> >I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
> >comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
> >discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print
>
> I agree.  This newsgroup is supposed to include indepth discussion
> on a variety of historical, artistic and technical subjects.  That
> alone should be enough to make it self-moderating.

As of today, 40 out of 176 articles in comp.unix.wizards are cross-posted from
comp.unix.questions (out of 311 articles there).  *My* feeling is that
self-moderation is not working in this instance, but others may disagree.

Evelyn C. Leeper  |  +1 201-957-2070  |  att!mtgzy!ecl or  ecl@mtgzy.att.com
--
If I am not for myself, who is for me?  If I am only for myself what am I?
And if not now, when?  --Hillel

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (01/13/90)

In article <10954@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:

> I agree.  This newsgroup is supposed to include indepth discussion
> on a variety of historical, artistic and technical subjects.  That
> alone should be enough to make it self-moderating.

Trish:

A sensible, calm, benevolent posting sans shoulder-chip.  Could
you make *all* your postings like this one?

Jeff Daiell

--
Here's how to tell my twins apart:  Colleen is smart, sweet, and pretty,
while Kelly is smart, sweet, and pretty.

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (01/14/90)

In article <32941@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> steves@rat.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Scher) writes:
>I find it hard to believe that people would change their vote for/against a
>group just because it is moderated.

Because many of us believe very strongly that without concrete, de-
monstrable proof that moderation is absolutely essential, no news-
group should be moderated.  If you want a nice neat clean sanitized
network with nice neat clean sanitized newsgroups then go subscribe
to CompuServe or some other service.  And if you want nice neat clean
informed well-written and well-edited articles brimming with clearly
presented information then go subscribe to a few film journals or go
to the library.  And besides, you get photographs with the journals.

Usenet is for us -- it's for individuals to express their opinions,
ideas and thoughts.  Moderation restricts that, it's always a subtle
psychological presence and at times it's outright censorship.  I'm
not saying that moderation is never appropriate, I'm saying that we
should not resort to it unless it's absolutely necessary.

	I find it even harder to believe that the
>name would affect people's votes.

Yeah, me too.

					yours for nets & mods,

						      .
					t r i s h a   o t u a m a

In article <3364@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) writes:
>As of today, 40 out of 176 articles in comp.unix.wizards are cross-posted from
>comp.unix.questions (out of 311 articles there).  *My* feeling is that
>self-moderation is not working in this instance, but others may disagree.

Evelyn, my response was obviously directed towards the self-modera-
tion that is clearly in effect in that newsgroup (as well as hun-
dreds of others) with regards to the content and subject matter of
the articles posted there.

I don't deny that xposting is a problem in many groups, but is no
reason to moderate the proposed newsgroup.  Unless, of course, you
are suggesting that all newsgroups with high rates of xposting be
moderated?

In article <=6118NExds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
>A sensible, calm, benevolent posting sans shoulder-chip.  Could

Yeah, well, those Intel chips, what the fuck I can say.  If it had
been Motorola that never would have happened.

>you make *all* your postings like this one?

Certainly not.  I have no intention of giving up my reputation for
blood, guts and glory just to suit your notion of ladylike manners
and compliance, Jeff.

In article <3364@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) writes:
>In article <10954@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
>> In article <5246@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>> >I would be much more comfortable with something that resembles
>> >comp.unix.wizards, where the sheer inapproachability of the
>> >discussions keep the neophytes and lurkers out of print
>>
>> I agree.  This newsgroup is supposed to include indepth discussion
>> on a variety of historical, artistic and technical subjects.  That
>> alone should be enough to make it self-moderating.
>
>As of today, 40 out of 176 articles in comp.unix.wizards are cross-posted from
>comp.unix.questions (out of 311 articles there).  *My* feeling is that
>self-moderation is not working in this instance, but others may disagree.

And you'd be right on that latter point.  But not the feeling.

Most of the crossposting in those groups is perpetrated by utter
neophytes who have problems on which their lives (even slightly)
depend.  A mixture of panic and uncertainty leads them to the
economically rational choice of erring in their plea for help
on the side of excess.

Meanwhile, almost all of the traffic in rec.arts.movies consists
of discussions of leisurely matters by the regulars, and only
occasionally do newbies appear.  A cogent effort to make it known
periodically that rec.arts.cinema is not rec.arts.movies will keep
the regulars from making more than the most obnoxious transgressions
and may with luck catch the neophytes before they mistakenly crosspost.

Further, a little conspicuous noblesse oblige by the
rec.arts.cinema regulars will maintain the utility of
rec.arts.movies, so that questions of r.a.m merit about
films more naturally suited to r.a.c can still be expected
to be answered entirely in the movies group.

Also, by not raising an enormous fuss about the crossposting,
and by not in many cases even noticing it, comp.unix.wizards
regulars do not exacerbate the problem with unnecessary flames.

Finally, a great portion of those crosspostings are, as I expect
any in rec.arts.cinema will be, justified by some ambiguity or
universality.

Clearly, if the effects of self-moderation, and of active
ad hoc moderation, which I practice by email to blatant
offenders, even to acknowledged unix gurus who lose their
composure, were not felt in comp.unix.wizards, then much
more than a mere 14% of the postings to comp.unix.questions
would be arrogantly copied to the elevated group.

Reevaluating my position in light of this analysis, and
considering the tack that recent discussion of the
moderator's duties has taken[*], makes me realize that any
sympathy I may previously have expressed for the moderation
of rec.arts.cinema was entirely underthought.

    [*](e.g., whether the moderator should actually
    do something so obnoxious as to impose his own
    uncertain grammatical and lexicographical know-
    ledge on postings; would you bounce a message
    posted by Milos Forman simply because he can't
    keep straight "their", "there", and "their"!?
    and who is Milos Forman compared to any of us,
    anyway?  Only the french think Jerry Lewis is
    a genius!)

Rec.arts.cinema must not be a moderated group.

				--Blair
				  "Moderation is anathema to the
				   expansive, free exchange of ideas
				   facilitated by the excess capacity of
				   the internet, and as long as these
				   leased lines pass over american soil
				   this net will remain free...
				   ...but I digress..."

thakur@athena.mit.edu (Manavendra K. Thakur) (01/18/90)

In article <5292@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
[...]
>    [*](e.g., whether the moderator should actually
>    do something so obnoxious as to impose his own
>    uncertain grammatical and lexicographical know-
>    ledge on postings;

Let me try to remove some of this "uncertainty."  Your posting was
perfectly readable and clear and made substantive points (although I
disagree with your conclusions).  Here is the point: I'm not asking
for anything more than that.

Now, just how much time did it take you to write up your posting?
Fifteen minutes?  A half-hour?  An hour, tops?  Whatever it took, it's
clear that you had something serious to say and you said it in a way
that I could perfectly understand.

THAT IS ALL I'M ASKING FOR WHEN IT COMES TO REC.ARTS.CINEMA POSTINGS!

Is that too much to ask?  I don't plan to nitpick a proposed article
to death.  I don't have *time* to nitpick an article to death.

>     would you bounce a message
>    posted by Milos Forman simply because he can't
>    keep straight "their", "there", and "their"!?

Absolutely not!  Where in the world did you get the idea that I would
bounce it?  Just how long do you think Milos Forman would continue to
submit articles if they kept getting rejected solely because of
grammatical mistakes?  Just how stupid do you think I am?

The far more intelligent thing to do would be to take him aside, point
out the mistakes, and ask him to revise it.  After all, the article
will be posted under his name, and someone of his stature will look
mighty foolish if he repeatedly keeps on making these kinds of
mistakes.

And as I've said several times already, I *know* what it's like to
have an article butchered by an uncaring/unfeeling/fascist editor.
Several of my articles for the MIT newspaper have been hacked up in
this fashion, and I have absolutely no intention of perpetuating the
practice to rec.arts.cinema.  I am NOT that type of person.  Ok?

I hope this clears up any misconceptions you might have had about how
I would go about moderating the newsgroup.  You may still not think
moderation is a good idea, but at least you can understand that if
your posting had been submitted to rec.arts.cinema I probably would
not have changed a thing.

So what's the fuss all about?

					Manavendra K. Thakur
					thakur@eddie.mit.edu
					thakur@cfa.harvard.edu
					...!harvard!zerkalo.harvard.edu!thakur

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/23/90)

A few comments on the whole moderation issue:

a)  Blair's e-mail policing or not, there will be a certain amount of
    r.a.movies  overlap onto rec.arts.cinema; the amount may be minimal, but
    it may not be, either.  Obviously, we all have to put up with a certain
    amount of static in various groups, but if it goes on in rec.arts.cinema
    (or whatever the name is), we'll basically end up with rec.arts.movies
    in stereo, making the moderation of .cinema of more-than-normal value.

b)  Moderation of rec.arts.cinema is not going to Infringe your Personal
    Freedoms, if handled as it has been in other moderated groups I've had
    experience with.  I've been submitting articles to
    rec.arts.movies.reviews for about two years now, and Evelyn Leeper has
    never given me (or anyone else, as far as I know after scanning r.a.m
    and n.g) since the groups inception.  She leaves what I wrote alone,
    warts and all, though she's gone Above and Beyond once or twice and
    dropped me a quick note pointing out some real grammatical or historical
    boner.  In each instance she asked in the most polite terms if I'd like
    to change it, being quite clear that it was entirely up to me; in almost
    every case I made the correction, and was thankful that she had pointed
    it out.

    I'm certain Manavendra will do as good a job, basically acting as a
    Subject filter; his last few articles lead me to believe that is just
    what he envisions the job to be, as well.  And if all the Great Power
    entrusted to rec.arts.cinema moderator ever went to his head and he
    woke up one morning with a net-fascist complex, I'm sure we'll be able
    to get him out without bloodshed.  Luckily, this condition doesn't
    seem to afflict real people much.

c)  Those who see rec.arts.cinema moderation as the first step to a
    net.dictatorship might do well to step back from it all, and take a deep
    breath.  Personally, I'm a bit more worried about recent Supreme Court
    decisions and American military actions, but that's what you happens
    when you get your news from foreign magazines...

In summary, I'd have to say that I'll continue to read (and to post) to
rec.arts.movies, and that I'll vote yes for rec.arts.cinema (or any sensible
name), moderated or not, with the provision that we could turn it into a
moderated group later on.  I'd rather start it moderated, because I don't
believe it would we be detrimental in any way; and there's no guarantee that
we'll have as capable a candidate for moderator if we decide to moderate it
sometime in the future.  While there are very few groups which would benefit
from moderation, I do believe that rec.arts.cinema would be one of them.

                           "If God created us in his own image we have more
                            than reciprocated."
                                           -- Voltaire
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (01/23/90)

In article <14161@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>b)  Moderation of rec.arts.cinema is not going to Infringe your Personal
>    Freedoms, if handled as it has been in other moderated groups I've had
>    experience with.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case though, Jeff, and
that's quite clear from Manavendra's latest series of articles.

>c)  Those who see rec.arts.cinema moderation as the first step to a
>    net.dictatorship might do well to step back from it all, and take a deep
>    breath.

"Net.dictatorship" is your term, Jeff, I don't think any of us view
this issue in such extreme terms.  Those of us who oppose moderation
of this newsgroup do so because we don't think any newsgroup should
be moderated except as a last resort.  Perhaps those of you who are
so convinced that this newsgroup will be overrun with great hordes
of unwashed r.a.m proletariat would do well to step back from it all
and take a deep breath yourselves.

>In summary, I'd have to say that I'll continue to read (and to post) to
>rec.arts.movies, and that I'll vote yes for rec.arts.cinema (or any sensible
>name), moderated or not, with the provision that we could turn it into a
>moderated group later on.

Well, yes, that was my suggestion, offered as a compromise in an ef-
fort to reach a group concensus on the moderation issue.  Unfortunate-
ly Joel Levin decided concensus wasn't necessary.

ecl@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Evelyn C. Leeper) (01/24/90)

In article <11108@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
> In article <14161@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> >In summary, I'd have to say that I'll continue to read (and to post) to
> >rec.arts.movies, and that I'll vote yes for rec.arts.cinema (or any sensible
> >name), moderated or not, with the provision that we could turn it into a
> >moderated group later on.
>
> Well, yes, that was my suggestion, offered as a compromise in an ef-
> fort to reach a group concensus on the moderation issue.  Unfortunate-
> ly Joel Levin decided concensus wasn't necessary.

If by consensus you mean unanimity, we are not going to reach it.  (Sometimes I
think that on the Net if you said the sun was farther away than the moon, you'd
get an argument!)  It is obvious (well, to me anyway) that there are those who
think this group should start out moderated, and those who think it should
start unmoderated.  None of the arguments being presented is getting anyone to
change his or her mind.  If we wait for consensus, we'll all be in that big
movie theatre in the sky before r.a.c gets going.

If by consensus you mean general agreement, it seems to me that the only way to
determine that is by a vote.  And that's just what Joel is doing.