[news.groups] Where to put Objectivist group; Prop. 13

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (01/25/90)

I think the individual who said we should stop arguing over the
definition of a science was right; the original proposal was for
talk.philosophy.objectivism, so let's go with that.

But that person was wrong in saying that cutting taxes didn't
improve the lives of Calfifornians.  After Prop.
13, the increase in the cost of living in California was
significantly slower than in the rest of The Union; a huge
amount of jobs were created, too.  Also, before Prop. 13,
*seven thousand* homeowners *a month* were having to give
up their homes because of the rapacious property tax rates.

What happened was that politicians, given a choice between
cutting fat and cutting things like police and fire departments,
opted to cut police and fire protection so they could talk
about the 'damage' done by letting people keep more of their
own money.

Jeff

--
  If a hungry man has water, and a thirsty man has bread,
  Then if they trade, be not dismayed, they both come out ahead.

                                   -- Don Paarlberg

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/26/90)

In article <K.A1=:9xds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

[...]
>But that person was wrong in saying that cutting taxes didn't
>improve the lives of Calfifornians.  After Prop.
>13, the increase in the cost of living in California was
>significantly slower than in the rest of The Union; a huge
>amount of jobs were created, too.  Also, before Prop. 13,
>*seven thousand* homeowners *a month* were having to give
>up their homes because of the rapacious property tax rates.

Sorry, no.  I live here, after a 38 year absense.  The roads are
decaying, the schools are in contention for worst in the nation, free
tertiary education is one with the dodo bird, the streets are full of
folks pushing their life's possessions ahead of them in shipping
carts, industry is fleeing, air, water and land pollution goes
unremedied, the mentally ill and the habitually criminal are turned
out on the street for lack of beds, the indigent are refused medical
care, and the beat goes on.

Why?  So that people who spent every penny while they were working,
rather than give a thought to providing for their future, could
continue to live in the oversized houses they had while their kids
were still living at home.

Pfaug!
--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us  xanthian@ads.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-