[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: soc.religion.eastern

woods@snowmass.scd.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (01/09/90)

In article <4412@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>       most people preferred the name soc.religion.eastern.
>       Further, the people felt that the newsgroup should be unmoderated.

   Net precedent has all the unmoderated groups about the "more heat than
light" topics such as politics and religion in "talk". The only groups
on these topics that exist in "soc" are moderated. This group should either
be moderated, or placed in "talk".

--Greg

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/09/90)

It's a good idea, except that for orthogonality it should be a talk
group.  If it were to be a soc group, then it would be
soc.culture.eastern, which is not really what you're aiming for.  Given
the combination of internationalism of the net, Asians living in the
West, and the Western interest in Eastern religion, the group should
find a broad base of interest.

Given the explicit requirement of non-political messages, this is
really not appropriate for soc, but it should be fine for talk.

(But how come you forgot to mention Taoism?)

"He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  It comes in one
 verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there
 is a certain pleasure in contemplating the wailing and gnashing of
 teeth, or else it would not occur so often."
	-- Bertrand Russell, "Why I Am Not a Christian"

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (01/10/90)

In article <4412@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>    1) The word eastern in the title of the newsgroup signifies religions
>       with origins in south/south-east/far-east asia. For example,
>       Hinduism, Buddhism (all forms), Jainism, Sikhism, and Shintoism.

How much interest do you expect to get on these topics?  Have you tried
using t.religion.misc or t.r.newage?  (I've seen some discussions on these
topics in both places.)  Do you have a mailing list going, or a rough
count of how many articles in s.c.indian have dealt with these topics?

>    2) The newsgroup will be unmoderated. It is up to the people posting
>       articles to make sure that their articles are in good taste and
>       not inflammatory.

The convention so far is that talk.religion groups are unmoderated and
the soc.religion ones are.  "It's only a guideline, it's only a guidline"
(Chuq's USENET mantra) -- but it seems to work so I'd like to see some
good reasons before I'd support a change.

>    5) This forum CANNOT be used for proseletyzing.

It WILL be (at some point) if it is unmoderated, but you can always put the
proselytizer in your KILL file (it's usually just a few people).  A better
reason for moderation is to put a cap on pointless discussions.

>    6) Articles about western religious systems (Judaism,Christianity,Islam
>       etc.) are also welcome if the aim is make rational/objective comparisons
>       of these systems with those discussed in this newsgroup.

I'm glad to see this -- it is easier for me to understand things when I can
compare them to a reference I know about, so this point open the possibility
of the group being of use/interest to more than just adherants of eastern
religions.

>    4) Articles should deal with the philosophy/theology underlying the
>       religious systems and should be devoid of any political content.

I've noticed that people are, well, religious about keeping religion and
politics separated, but if one's actions (and by extension, one's politics)
aren't affected by one's religion then what meaning is there is the
statement "I believe X"?  As an example, if religion X presents a true
picture of the world then you couldn't possibly support the killing of
naugas to make Naugahyde because if they ever become extinct then the
life-force will leave the planet, but if religion Y is true then it is
clear that naugas are responsible for all evil so we should give tax breaks
for Naugahyde production and use.

-Dan
uunet!ashtate!dveditz
dveditz@ashtate.A-T.com

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (01/10/90)

In article <9575@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>>It's a good idea, except that for orthogonality it should be a talk
>>
>>Given the explicit requirement of non-political messages, this is
>>really not appropriate for soc, but it should be fine for talk.
>>
>>(But how come you forgot to mention Taoism?)

  Thanks you for your comments. The names of the philosophical systems
  mentioned in the charter were actually meant to be examples. Taoism
  should've also been on that list. Sorry about that.

  Dinesh Prabhu

unccab@calico.med.unc.edu (Charles Balan) (01/10/90)

In article <355@dbase.UUCP> dveditz@dbase.A-T.com (Dan Veditz) writes:
>In article <4412@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:
>
>>    5) This forum CANNOT be used for proseletyzing.
>
>>    6) Articles about western religious systems (Judaism,Christianity,Islam
>>       etc.) are also welcome if the aim is make rational/objective comparisons
>>       of these systems with those discussed in this newsgroup.
>>
>I'm glad to see this -- it is easier for me to understand things when I can
>compare them to a reference I know about, so this point open the possibility
>of the group being of use/interest to more than just adherants of eastern
>religions.

 I agree, this is logical in theory, but I conjecture that 5) will
 interfere with 6).  For example, if I propose to the .group :
	Islam believes in One God..., how can Hindus believe in so many
	gods and goddesses?  It doesn't make sense, since it is obvious
	from the creation that there is One God...

	Wouldn't a thread like this naturally (it seems to me) lead to
	something _someone_ would call proseletyzing?  I hope that one can
	see the point I am making here that, unless there is moderation,
	it will result in a mess.

                            Charles Balan
UNCCAB@med.unc.edu   ,    UNCCAB@uncmed.uucp    ,   UNCCAB@unc.bitnet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  A Witty Saying Proves Nothing - Voltaire  %%%%%%%%%%%%

smith_c@ncsatl.uucp (02/01/90)

In article <4438@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>        The idea of creating a newsgroup dedicated to eastern religious/
>        belief systems was brought up recently (Dec.) for an informal
>        discussion in soc.culture.indian. The idea was generally well
>        received and most people preferred the name soc.religion.eastern.
>        Further, the people felt that the newsgroup should be unmoderated.
>        I have brought this up in a formal call for discussion in news.
>        announce.newgroups. I thought I'd cross post this to the other
>        relevant news groups in the soc and talk hierarchy. Note that
>        I have set the follow-up to this article to news.groups where
>        the actual discussion should take place. And so...
>
>        a) Do you think that this newsgroup is a good idea ?

              yes

>        b) Do you think that the proposed name is adequate ?

              yes

>        c) Do you think that this newsgroup should be moderated?

            No opinion

>        d) What are your opinions on the points of charter ?
>
>                           CHARTER OF SOC.RELIGION.EASTERN
>
>     1) The word eastern in the title of the newsgroup signifies religions
>        with origins in south/south-east/far-east asia. For example,
>        Hinduism, Buddhism (all forms), Jainism, Sikhism, and Shintoism.

           Christianity and Judaism should be included.  See below.

>     2) The newsgroup will be unmoderated. It is upto the people posting
>        articles to make sure that their articles are in good taste and
>        not inflammatory.

         I find this reasonable.

>     3) Everbody regardless of their religion can post to this newsgroup.

         I approve.

>     4) Articles should deal with the philosophy/theology underlying the
>        religious systems and should be devoid of any political content.

         That's very broad.  It has been argued that many if not all religious
         beliefs are rooted social culture and political systems.  Judaism, for
         example, at the time of Christ, was a religious nation as the Holy
         Roman Empire also later became.  There is very little in the Bible
         that doesn't have something to do with politics.  Having read parts of
         the Koran, I can say that it is also political in many areas.

>     5) This forum CANNOT be used for proseletyzing.

         If you are leaving it unmoderated, that might be difficult, although I
         approve of the desire.

>     6) Articles about western religious systems (Judaism,Christianity,Islam
>        etc.) are also welcome if the aim is make rational/objective comparisons
>        of these systems with those discussed in this newsgroup.

         The point I referred to earlier is that Christianity is an Eastern
         religious system.  Some branches of Christianity are highly
         Westernized, however, this does not change the fact that Christianity
         is, at its roots, an Eastern mystical religion.  I could go into
         details here about the Mystery of the Cross, other Mysteries of the
         Rosary, Eastern meditation using Chotki, etc.  Suffice it to say that
         I do not agree with your classification.

--
                                   Sincerely,

	        	 _///_ //  SPAWN OF A JEWISH       _///_ //
gatech!ncsatl!smith_c  <`)=  _<<   _///_ // <`)=  _<<   <`)=  _<<
GO AGAINST THE FLOW!                \\\  \\ A Real Live Catholic in Georgia