[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: talk.religion.eastern

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (01/11/90)

   In light of the fact that unmoderated religious/political newsgroups
   best belong in the talk hierarchy, it has been decided to change the
   name of the newsgroup to talk.religion.eastern. This will be the name
   used at the time a call for votes is issued. Please make a note of
   this change in name. This, I believe, fixes the newsgroup in the
   right hierarchy and that leaves only the charter to be discussed.
   Sorry about the mixup.

   Dinesh Prabhu
   (prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov)

In article <355@dbase.UUCP> dveditz@dbase.A-T.com (Dan Veditz) writes:
>>In article <4412@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:
>>>
>>>    1) The word eastern in the title of the newsgroup signifies religions
>>>       with origins in south/south-east/far-east asia. For example,
>>>       Hinduism, Buddhism (all forms), Jainism, Sikhism, and Shintoism.
>>>
>>How much interest do you expect to get on these topics?  Have you tried
>>using t.religion.misc or t.r.newage?  (I've seen some discussions on these
>>topics in both places.)  Do you have a mailing list going, or a rough
>>count of how many articles in s.c.indian have dealt with these topics?

       Ramesh Sitaraman (rks@princeton.edu) brought this up sometime during
  the middle part of last year and there was sufficient interest expressed
  then. I brought up the idea in s.c.indian and there was sufficient interest
  then too. I did not bring it up in the other relevant newsgroups and I
  have no idea how much interest there is in those groups. I'd hoped this
  discussion would give me a fair idea. I have tried t.religion.newage but
  not t.r.misc. There is no mailing list and I don't have an estimate of the
  number of articles that dealt explicitly with the topics.

>>>    2) The newsgroup will be unmoderated. It is up to the people posting
>>>       articles to make sure that their articles are in good taste and
>>>       not inflammatory.
>>>
>>The convention so far is that talk.religion groups are unmoderated and
>>the soc.religion ones are.

       Note that the title of the newsgroup has been changed to t.r.eastern.
  That should take care of the question of fitting the newsgroup into the
  right hierarchy.

>>>    5) This forum CANNOT be used for proseletyzing.
>>>
>>It WILL be (at some point) if it is unmoderated, but you can always put the
>>proselytizer in your KILL file (it's usually just a few people).  A better
>>reason for moderation is to put a cap on pointless discussions.

       I had not planned to put this clause in the charter originally. This
  was more of an afterthought. There will always be that odd kook who'll try
  to hijack the agenda. One cannot protect an unmoderated group against such
  an attack. However, one cannot deny the person a right to post what he or
  she thinks is relevant. The 'n' key and/or KILL files help in a situation
  like this. I think it is better to start the group as an unmoderated one
  and see how things go. As and aside, most Eastern systems do not have a
  proseletyzing feature built into them and so, this clause is actually not
  necessary.

>>>    6) Articles about western religious systems (Judaism,Christianity,Islam
>>>       etc.) are also welcome if the aim is make rational/objective comparisons
>>>       of these systems with those discussed in this newsgroup.
>>>
>>I'm glad to see this -- it is easier for me to understand things when I can
>>compare them to a reference I know about, so this point open the possibility
>>of the group being of use/interest to more than just adherants of eastern
>>religions.

           I am glad you liked this idea. This idea should give the group a
  wide appeal.

>>>    4) Articles should deal with the philosophy/theology underlying the
>>>       religious systems and should be devoid of any political content.

        My vision of this newsgroup is that of a forum where people can
  discuss Eastern metaphysics/theology objectively and rationally without
  bringing in political (in the strictest sense of word) issues into the
  picture.

>>-Dan
>>uunet!ashtate!dveditz
>>dveditz@ashtate.A-T.com

     Dinesh Prabhu
     prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov

jchen@ms.uky.edu (Jindong Chen) (01/20/90)

Yes

barry@calmasd.Prime.COM (Barry Hynum) (01/20/90)

In article <4461@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:
>       At this time I'm soliciting your opnions and suggestions about
>       the proposed newsgroup.

I would subscribe and contribute periodically. I suggest a moderator,
otherwise the new group would be swamped with "fundies" and "hostiles".
I'm also concerned about article length; moderation might formally
encourage brevity. --
Barry Hynum	<So many threads  --  Across an invisible universe
				<What fabric is this?

srinath@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Srinath Viswanathan) (01/20/90)

       Firstly, I am somewhat puzzled by the sudden change in name from
soc.religion.eastern to talk.religion.eastern over the course of a day.
The original call for soc.religion.eastern was dated 9 Jan 90. The call
for talk.religion.eastern, claiming a lack of response to the first
message, is dated 10 Jan 90. Is one day really enough to consider a
name change? If there are indeed good reasons for the name change,
shouldn't people get a chance to air them first? Lastly, if it is any
consolation, my site received both messages today, 19 Jan 90.

     To address the matter at hand, I would vote against talk.religion.-
eastern as my site does not get the talk. groups.

                                               Srinath

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (01/20/90)

In article <21754@unix.cis.pitt.edu> srinath@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Srinath  Viswanathan) writes:

>>       Firstly, I am somewhat puzzled by the sudden change in name from
>>soc.religion.eastern to talk.religion.eastern over the course of a day.
>>The original call for soc.religion.eastern was dated 9 Jan 90. The call
>>for talk.religion.eastern, claiming a lack of response to the first
>>message, is dated 10 Jan 90. Is one day really enough to consider a
>>name change? If there are indeed good reasons for the name change,
>>shouldn't people get a chance to air them first? Lastly, if it is any
>>consolation, my site received both messages today, 19 Jan 90.
>>
>>     To address the matter at hand, I would vote against talk.religion.-
>>eastern as my site does not get the talk. groups.
>>
>>                                               Srinath

   My site underwent some reconfiguration recently and hence the delay
   in getting articles posted on the bulletin board. Sorry about that.

   Regarding the "soc" to "talk" conversion. This conversion stems from
   a long correspondence I had with Greg Woods (the moderator of news.
   announce.newsgroups) and the opinions posted by Tim Maroney and Dan
   Veditz (see articles around 1/7-1/10 in this newsgroup). Apparently,
   net precedent has it that unmoderated religion or politics newsgroups
   belong in the talk hierarchy and moderated ones belong in the soc
   hierarchy. Since the *.religion.eastern was proposed as an unmoderated
   newsgroup and the volume of discussion rather low, I decided it would
   be best to move it to the talk hierarchy. The idea was also to prevent
   a net war about the choice of hierarchies (a la sci.aquaria). Let us
   assume (tentatively) that the proposed newsgroup will be in the talk
   hierarchy. Perhaps a clearer picture will emerge at the end of this
   discussion period (Feb. 1 is when I want to bring this to a vote).

   I would like to hear people's opinions about moderation (regarding
   the proposed newsgroup only). Some people have made compelling arguments
   for moderation: prevent flames, prevent "loonies", brevity, etc. But...
   the scope of the proposed newsgroup is too vast for a moderator.
   Ideally the moderator would have to be knowledgeable about the religious
   systems that fall within the scope of this newsgroup. This is asking
   for a bit too much. One possibility would be have multiple moderators
   (like soc.religion.islam). Right now I don't have a clue as to
   how one selects a moderator and I don't want a personality contest
   for the selection of one or more moderators. Any suggestions ?

   If the majority opinion indicates that moderation is absolutely necessary
   AND I can find one or more moderators then I would move the group into
   the soc hierarchy where it would form a nice sister group to soc.religion.
   christianity and soc.religion.islam. Opinions anyone ?

   If most people are ambivalent about moderation then I would keep the group
   as an unmoderated group in the talk hierarchy.

   Dinesh Prabhu
   (prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov)

   Opinions expressed above are all mine.

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (01/20/90)

In article <4552@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, prabhu@amelia (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>   If the majority opinion indicates that moderation is absolutely necessary
>   AND I can find one or more moderators then I would move the group into
>   the soc hierarchy where it would form a nice sister group to soc.religion.
>   christianity and soc.religion.islam. Opinions anyone ?

  I don't think moderation will be necessary.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!bosco!gsmith            "When Ubizmo talks, people listen."

russ@unisoft.UUCP (Russ Button) (01/22/90)

I don't know that a separate newsgroup is needed for this topic.  If it
should arise however, I would certainly subscribe to it as eastern
religions are very much in keeping with the principles taught in my own
path, ECKANKAR.

Russ Button
russ@unisoft.UUCP
<ucbvax,uunet,sun>!unisoft!russ

bandu@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (Jagath Samarabandu) (01/22/90)

In article <1990Jan20.094858.1334@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>  I don't think moderation will be necessary.

Me too.

Jagath K. Samarabandu (716)-833-7975		bandu@cs.buffalo.edu
168 B, Kenville Rd., Buffalo,NY14215		v092r8c2@ubvms.bitnet

srinath@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Srinath Viswanathan) (01/23/90)

In Article <4552@amelia.nas.nasa.gov] prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
(Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes

]
[...]

        While I understand the view of keeping to net precedent regarding
hierarchy vs. moderation, it seems to me that with serious discussions on
Christianity, Judaism and Islam already taken care of in the soc. hierarchy,
and with talk.religion.misc already present, it is a waste to have *.religion.-
eastern in the talk hierarchy. It also seems to me that the present guideline
is just that, a guideline, than the iron-clad rule it is being purported to
be. I also believe that moderation for *.religion.eastern would be against
the essential principles of most eastern philosophies. In the interest of
obtaining a forum for *open*, *serious* discussions on eastern philosophies
without incurring the wrath of the net, I suggest that at least some thought
be given to why an unmoderated soc.religion.eastern would not be viable. I
find it difficult to believe that the exchanges in an unmoderated
soc.religion.eastern would be any more vicious than those I have seen in
soc.culture.indian, where the idea for this group first surfaced.

]   Dinesh Prabhu
]   (prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov)

                                                      Srinath
                                             srinath@unix.cis.pitt.edu

aloise@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jim Aloise) (01/25/90)

My vote is for an unmoderated talk.religion.eastern.

pingali@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Sridhar Pingali) (01/26/90)

In article <21754@unix.cis.pitt.edu> srinath@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Srinath  Viswanathan) writes:

>soc.religion.eastern to talk.religion.eastern over the course of a day.
>The original call for soc.religion.eastern was dated 9 Jan 90. The call
>for talk.religion.eastern, claiming a lack of response to the first
>message, is dated 10 Jan 90. Is one day really enough to consider a
>name change? If there are indeed good reasons for the name change,
>shouldn't people get a chance to air them first? Lastly, if it is any
>consolation, my site received both messages today, 19 Jan 90.

Exactly -  my site too received the calls late and both arrived
on the same day. A large number of sites do not receive the talk.
groups - mine does not. You have a large number of potential NO
votes out there- including mine.

So might I - for the same reason. But I don't want to prevent the
creation of such a newsgroup. I would vote YES for soc. etc.

--
Sridhar Pingali

kstewart@td2cad.intel.com (Kent Stewart ) (01/26/90)

In article <4458@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>>>How much interest do you expect to get on these topics?  Have you tried
>>>using t.religion.misc or t.r.newage?  (I've seen some discussions on these
>>>topics in both places.)

Well, I have participated in some of these discussions, and my feeling
is that the inherent bias of the respective groups does not lend itself
to productive, open discussion.

What I mean by this is that talk.religion.misc has a largely Christian
bias, with a minority element of atheists and skeptics, and .newage
leans towards magic, Paganism, demonology, etc.

There are a lot of folks interested in each bias, and the two groups
provide forums for these folks to pursue their interests with each
other. But a subject such as Advaita Vedanta or Mahayana Buddhism is
rarely a good fit in either group.

In the .misc group, almost any topic brought up will be responded to
and (often politely) argued with from a variety of Christian viewpoints,
some very thoughtful and insightful, some dogmatic, some pretty
stubborn. Sometimes a conversation is maintained for a while, such as
an interchange between Christians and Buddhists a few months back. But
even then it starts to break down over charges of "condescension" and
intolerance imagined on either side.

I monitored soc.culture.indian for a few months to see if discussion
might be happening there, but that was not a very good fit either.
Though many folks on s.c.i. might support the new group and participate
in it, extended spiritual discussions don't really seem to be the
group's charter.

I wholely support the new group, either unmoderated as currently
proposed, or moderated if the majority of those interested wish it
to be so.

Kent Stewart
{decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,amd,quantel}!intelca!mipos3!td2cad!kstewart
kstewart%td2cad.intel.com@relay.cs.net

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (01/26/90)

   We have entered the final week of discussion and debate about the
   proposed newsgroup talk.religion.eastern.

   Initially I had proposed to create the *.religion.eastern newsgroup
   in the soc hierarchy. This, I felt would be a perfect complement to
   s.r.christianity and s.r.islam (both moderated). I was informed of
   the net precedent of not having unmoderated religious/political
   newsgroups in the soc hierarchy. Because of this and the fact that
   I did not have a moderator, I decided to move the group into the
   talk hierarchy.

   I am happy to say that Dr. Mukund Srinivasan (mukund@princeton.edu)
   has been kind enough to agree to moderate the proposed newsgroup. I
   now wish to move the newsgroup into the soc hierarchy (last move,
   honest!) With this in mind and with the comments that I have received
   over the past few days, I have reworked the charter.

                 CHARTER OF SOC.RELIGION.EASTERN (moderated)

   1) The word eastern in the title of the newsgroup signifies religions
      with origins in South/South-East/Far-East Asia. For example,
      Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Taoism, etc.

   2) The aim of the newsgroup is to provide a forum for the discussion
      of Eastern metaphysics/theology/logic.

   3) All people, irrespective of their religious background, can post
      articles in this newsgroup.

   4) Articles about western religious systems [Judaism/Christianity/Islam
      are also welcome if the aim is to make rational/objective comparisons
      of these systems with those discussed in this newsgroup [s.r.eastern]

   5) The newsgroup will be moderated to prevent inflammatory articles,
      personal attacks, and proselytizing.

   6) The moderator will not impose his/her personal agenda on the newsgroup.

   7) If an article is rejected the moderator will clearly state his reason(s)
      for doing so.

   8) The moderator reserves the right to end a discussion if the discussion
      has gone on for a while and no further light is being shed on the topic
      of discussion.

   Please let me know what you think of this reworked charter. I plan to bring
   this to a vote on Feb. 1, 1990. Thanks once again for your time.

   Dinesh K. Prabhu
   (prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov)

|    Dinesh K. Prabhu               Eloret Institute, M/S 230-2               |
|    prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov     NASA ARC, Moffett Field CA-94035.         |

sondra@lzsc.ATT.COM (Sondra Menthers) (02/02/90)

I vote yes.  As a Buddhist I would love to see this
newsgroup.