[news.groups] creation of a newsgroup focusing on non-commercial radio

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (01/18/90)

dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) writes:

>This is a call for discussion on the creation of a new newsgroup
>to provide a forum for the discussion of non-commercial radio.

I vote yes.

Daniel M. Rosenberg
KZSU "Radio At Fault" 90.1 FM, Stanford, California.
--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

phaedrus@flatline.UUCP (james hartman) (01/18/90)

This sounds like a good idea to me.  I have access to information from
"commercial" stations, but since I work at a non-commercial station
most of it does me little (if any) good.  Being able to discuss topics
with people from other stations would help me get a handle on, for example,
what's going on with the FCC.

--
     I'll never understand you lot - a long bath in a cold sodium chloride
   solution, then wallowing about on a bed of mica crystals whilst undergoing

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (01/19/90)

In article <4994@hydra.gatech.EDU> dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) writes:
>This is a call for discussion on the creation of a new newsgroup
>to provide a forum for the discussion of non-commercial radio.
>Discussion will last no longer than February 10, 1990.
>I believe the group should be unmoderated.
>POSSIBLE NAME:    rec.radio.non-comm
>CHARTER: To provide a forum for the discussion of non-commercial radio.

Well, I like the idea - so I vote yes.

I would, however, prefer to see the name something like rec.radio.public -
simply because its a little easier to remember and becuase I am fundamentally
opposed to the use of abbreviations in news group names, especially uncommon
ones (non-comm - radio for non-commisioned officers? I know, lame example)

- Scott

= DISCLAIMER: I speak for my self, not my employer =
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt, Systems Analyst		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu

dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) (01/20/90)

>>This is a call for discussion on the creation of a new newsgroup
>>to provide a forum for the discussion of non-commercial radio.
>>POSSIBLE NAME:    rec.radio.non-comm
>
>I would, however, prefer to see the name something like rec.radio.public -
> rec.radio.noncom

I agree that abbreviations are not always clear, but I feel "public"
is strongly associated with NPR radio only.  Another suggestion was
xxx.radio.college.  Again that suggests only college affiliated stations.
I would like to see input from both types of stations and their listeners.
Perhaps a hierarchy would grow out of one radio group - but I would like
to see it to begin as one group and then group decide from there.

william - were you referring to the mailing list mentioned earlier or a 2nd one?

watch out: I inadvertently got two threads started on here.

Rob Gibson, General Manager, WREK 91.1 MHz
Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!dsrekrg
ARPA: dsrekrg@prism.gatech.edu

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (01/21/90)

In article <5099@hydra.gatech.EDU> dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) writes:
>[ someone said: ]
>>I would, however, prefer to see the name something like rec.radio.public -
>> rec.radio.noncom
>
>I agree that abbreviations are not always clear, but I feel "public"
>is strongly associated with NPR radio only.

  I don't think the association is really that strong, at least in
this area of the country.  When I think of "public radio", I think
immediately of NPR, APR, and MPR, but also of some of the college-run
stations.  (There may be other non-commercial stations which are not
college-run and not affiliated with NPR/APR, but I don't know any
here offhand.)

  I feel that the "non-comm" (non-commercial) name would be confusing,
at least to people who haven't had experience in the radio field; I'd
prefer seeing rec.radio.public.  (Then, if the traffic warrants it,
the group could later be split into .npr, .apr, .college, or whatever.)

  Just a thought....

		Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

holdenj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Paul Jones) (01/21/90)

Hmmm. Sounds interesting, but what would this include, overall? Alternative
music, non-commercial metal, counter-culture stuff, etc. or all of these?
Other than that I say yes, please do.

			       -John Paul Jones

dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) (01/23/90)

In article <10726@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> holdenj@thor.stolaf.edu (John Paul Jones) writes:
>Hmmm. Sounds interesting, but what would this include, overall? Alternative
>music, non-commercial metal, counter-culture stuff, etc. or all of these?
>Other than that I say yes, please do.
>			       -John Paul Jones
Also:
>I like it.  I personally know of about a dozen ex-KTRU staffers on the
>net (91.7 Rice University), also some current ones, also some opinionated
>ones :-)
>Mark Linimon
>linimon@nominil.lonestar.org
Also:
>I'd be very interested in a group for this sort of discussion,
>especially with the major changes in broadcasting legislation coming up
>in the UK shortly - I used to run the college station, and am now
>membership secretary of the Community Radio Association.
>Unfortunately, I can't post news just at the moment, so I thought I'd
>write this note to express my support for the idea.
>| Nigel Whitfield,                   |   n.whitfield@cc.ic.ac.uk       |

Most (but not all) music comments should probably stay
in the rec.music.misc area.
This newsgroup would hopefully center around broadcasting issues from
the perspective of the listener and the broadcaster.   music is usually
a part of that, so the subject would come up.

Rob Gibson, General Manager, WREK 91.1 MHz
40000 watts of non-commercial diversity, 404/894-2468

watson@halley.UUCP (William Watson) (01/23/90)

Anton Rang writes:

>  I feel that the "non-comm" (non-commercial) name would be confusing,
>at least to people who haven't had experience in the radio field; I'd
>prefer seeing rec.radio.public.  (Then, if the traffic warrants it,
>the group could later be split into .npr, .apr, .college, or whatever.)

This brings up an important point.  Many people would be interested in
discussions of the material broadcast over "public" radio stations, but
have little to no interest in the actual operation of such an establishment.
Perhaps there should be two groups initially proposed:

rec.radio.public	for listeners to public radio.  Discussions might
			include programs, distribution of progarm material,
			when and where certain shows air, &c.

soc.radio.noncomm	for discussions by people involved in the operation
			of non-commercial broadcast stations.  The abbreviation
			should no be opaque to anyone with such contacts, as
			the term "non-commercial" comes from the FCC.

			Discussions here might include licensing, equipment,
			record reviewing policies, DJ freedom, and the wonders
			of block programmed schedules :-).  Program matter
			discussions would (idealy?) focus on censorship,
			obscenity, and public decency matters, rather than
			"did you hear Car-Talk last week".

I would be much more interested in the latter than the former.  I expect that
many more people would be interested in the former than the latter.  Perhaps
if the vote for a discussion of *running* a station fails, it should turn into
a mailing list.  Somehow, though, a mailing list seems to me to be an iffier
proposition, with less convenient access.  Of course, folks without usenet
access might prefer a mailing list, as the would otherwise be cut off from
the discussions.

Comments?

William
--
William J. Watson
(cs.utexas.edu!halley!watson, watson@halley.mpd.tandem.com, watson@halley.uucp)

px@fctunl.rccn.pt (Joaquim Baptista (pxQuim)) (01/23/90)

I've seen people discussing the name of this newsgroup. They talk of
rec.radio.public and wonder wether that could be mistaken for NPR,
APR, and MPR. Well, I'm Portuguese, and I've never heard of them.

So to speak, I have a doubt. Is this group restricted to North
America? If so, please use the "Distribution:" header. Otherwise, I
think you should speak with more generality.

Just my thoughts, of course.
--
--------

Joaquim Manuel Soares Baptista, aka px@fctunl.rccn.pt, px@unl.uucp
CRIA, UNINOVA, FCT/UNL, 2825 Mt Caparica, Portugal

Confused? You won't be after the next episode of... Soap!

komatsu@alcor.usc.edu (-----> Dave) (01/23/90)

In article <653@halley.UUCP> cs.utexas.edu!halley!watson (William Watson) writes:

>soc.radio.noncomm	for discussions by people involved in the operation
>			of non-commercial broadcast stations.  The abbreviation
>			should no be opaque to anyone with such contacts, as
>			the term "non-commercial" comes from the FCC.
>
>			Discussions here might include licensing, equipment,
>			record reviewing policies, DJ freedom, and the wonders
>			of block programmed schedules :-).  Program matter
>			discussions would (idealy?) focus on censorship,
>			obscenity, and public decency matters, rather than
>			"did you hear Car-Talk last week".
>Comments?

I an definitely for this one.  Working at a non-comm station KSCR (Los
Angeles, USC) we have many of those problems and I feel that our
station along with other college and no-comm stations could discuss
problems.  We ran into a big problem with a cable company that gave
a verbal agreement to put us on FM cable but backed out thousands
of dollars later leaving out station dying out...

As a part of the music staff I think a group like this can help stations
get together and break new MUSIC.  Magazines like RockPool and CMJ
and WARD are great but they are not QUICK enough.  A newsgroup like
this could reach other stations INSTANTLY.

----------------------
komatsu@alcor.usc.edu
-----> Dave
----------------------
KSCR: The Underground
530 AM
----------------------

klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (02/03/90)

In article <4994@hydra.gatech.EDU> dsrekrg@prism.gatech.EDU (Rob Gibson) writes:
>This is a call for discussion on the creation of a new newsgroup
>to provide a forum for the discussion of non-commercial radio.
>POSSIBLE NAME:    rec.radio.non-comm
>
>Subjects discussed might include
>- non-commercial AM/FM radio of the college and NPR variety
>- carrier current and cable based radio
>- do trade journals such as CMJ and Rockpool manipulate or aid?
>- upcoming conventions such as the Nat'l Assoc. of Broadcasters/BEA
>  meeting in Atlanta and the Intercollegiate Broadcasters Society in NY
>- the newly released "Public Radio in the 1990s" report by The Public
>  Radio Expansion Task Force
>- the FCC and its regulations
>- obtaining and managing non-commercial grants

This actually sounds like a good idea, but for some strange reason, I would
feel more comfortable with a mailing list than a newsgroup. But I've been
told before that that is a weird idea.

We discovered once that 17 out of the 20 general managers KTRU has had
are on the net!  If that's any sort of trend which carries over to other
public stations, then we'd have a good potential group of participants.  My
concern is that this statistic will be true only for College stations,
not for other non-commercial stations.

But generally, I feel having such a group would be useful and interesting.
There are a lot of things I'd like to discuss with other non-commers out
there, so let me add a few more topics
    * the role of public radio in America
    * distributing locally produced programs to other stations
    * how to get a performer to come to your town
    * how to compete for record company resources with the commercial guys
    * where do people's budgets come from?  fund raising? sponsors?
      a college?  a grant?
    * who's got the best prices on equipment and supplies
    * who airs what kinds of shows when?

Let me know how I can help!

	Kevin Long
	Jazz Director