[news.groups] REC.HUMOR.OBJECTIVISM

mls@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (mike.siemon) (02/03/90)

In article <EJE1I72xds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

> I'd like this person to give a rational explanation of why he finds
> Objectivism hilarious.

One of the classic studies of laughter (from a philosophic viewpoint :-)
was by Bergson.  In brief, he suggested that we consider humorous those
behaviors or situations in which human beings are seen as "mechanical"
(or in more modern idiom, programmed) where a normal onlooker sees the
mechanism as inappropriate.

Case closed.
--
Michael L. Siemon		As grain once scattered on the hillside
cucard!dasys1!mls			Was in this broken break made one,

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (02/03/90)

In article <EJE1I72xds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

> I'd like this person to give a rational explanation of why he finds
> Objectivism hilarious.

I wasn't the person, so I can only guess. But then do we ever really
know why we have the emotional responses we do? Do we ever know why
we think the things we do? Even in reasonable people, reason is only
a small part of it. We know more about dung beetles than we do about
the working of the human brain. Well I personally don't know all that
much about dung beetles, but let's not quibble over details. What I am
getting around to is that it is impossible to give a "rational explanation"
of hilarity. But then that never stopped me before, eh?

So my conjecture as to why he thinks it's funny, is that he sees the
Objectivist as a silly person who believes himself quite profound. No
doubt it would be unfair to suggest that all objectivists are like that,
but it can happen.  I mentioned in another posting that I was once an
Objectivist. I had a subscription to the Objectivist, and could quote
Ayn Rand chapter and verse. And yes, it happened to me.

A couple of years ago I was visting my parents, who brought out some old
photos. One of them was about the most embarrassing object I have ever had
the misfortune to view. It was taken during my Objectivist period. I was
about twenty-one years old, wearing a tweed jacket with those leather
academician patches on the elbows, wearing a pipe in my emaciated face, the
chin of which was partially obscured by a Van Dyke beard which bore a more
than passing resemblance to grape-mold, and was looking down my nose with a
confident air of absolute intellectual supremacy.

I think that may be the sort of thing he had in mind. Everybody else
thought it was a real hoot. A guaranteed crowd pleaser.