[news.groups] Elementary Treatise On Dealing With Flamers

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (02/03/90)

[A slight rewording and extension of a post I once made:]

You don't get rid of flamers by insulting them or flaming back.
Ignoring the flamer is extremely important.  A flame is a multi-way
exchange, one that is very difficult to continue without at least one
other person cooperating (kind of strange to consider a return flame as
cooperation isn't it?)  in the continuation of the exchange.

If you don't respond to flames, there's a better chance they'll die a
quiet, natural death.  Responding to a flame with a flame is like
putting out fires with gasoline.

Rob Sartin					uucp: hplabs!sartin
"Some may say that I have gone astray.	    internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
How would they know? They never follow."

root@robecdc.UUCP (Super user) (02/03/90)

In article <5082@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>There are some people who will get in a flame war with you and never stop.
>
>You posted some innocuous remark.  They flamed you.  You responded politely
>with a clarification and a comment that a flame was hardly necessary.  They
>flamed you.  You pointed out the errors in their arguments.  They flamed you.
>You demonstrated that they misquoted you.  They flamed you.  You flamed
>them.  They flamed you.  You flamed them.  They flamed you.  You flamed them.
>
>The nerve!
>
>"The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time."
>-- Albert Einstein

 ######  #         ##    #    #  ######           ####   #    #
 #       #        #  #   ##  ##  #               #    #  ##   #
 #####   #       #    #  # ## #  #####           #    #  # #  #
 #       #       ######  #    #  #               #    #  #  # #

'nuff said

-William A. Sneed		uucp:  ...!pyrdc!robecdc!ghost
-Robec Dist.			voice: (703) 631-4800
-Manassas, Va			fax:   (703) 631-4806
Brain fried -- Core dumped
     The words you have just read are strictly my own and no one else's.
     They in no way should be construed as anything but my own personal
     opinion. Besides no one else would lay claim to them. :-) :-) :-)