[news.groups] Skinhead newsgroup

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (01/18/90)

There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
evil thing.

This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
about skinheads.

How do I do it ?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>evil thing.
>
>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>about skinheads.

>emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |

Oh, so YOU'RE the NRA.  And you are promoting white supremacist
losers who coopted a trademark of a relatively benign punk
movement.

God save the "wretched left wing media hacks."

					-=EPS=-

jill@tank.uchicago.edu (jill holly hansen) (01/19/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
:
:There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
:wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
:evil thing.
:
:This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
:about skinheads.
:
:How do I do it ?
:
:
:John
:
:--
:John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
:Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.
:emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |

How about starting a mailing list first, and, if that indicates
that enough people care about skin heads, then propose to start a
news group.--
==========================
     Jill Hansen
Jill@tank.uchicago.edu

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (01/20/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>evil thing.

The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads appearing
on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by themselves.  They
needed no help from the media in showing what utterly wretched creatures they are.

>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>about skinheads.

The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
of the KKK.

How is this not a terribly evil thing?

>How do I do it ?

Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.

>John
>
>--
>John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
>Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.
>emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |

Bob

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (01/20/90)

She said that he said that she said that jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) said:
-
-There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
-wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
-evil thing.
-
-This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
-about skinheads.
-
-How do I do it ?

RTFM.  Instructions for starting a new newsgroup are posted in
news.announce.newusers AND gets crossposted to news.groups and news.admin.
This happens once a month; it just happened about and should happen
again in a week or so.

As for the newsgroup...is it time for soc.culture.skinhead?  Maybe
soc.culture.punk?

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

        my toes know the ramble, and i can dance my dance   - chaos

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/20/90)

(also sent directly to Mr. De Armond via email)

John;

I thought you should be made aware that some moron is posting
forged articles using your name.  I suggest that you might wish
to post a formal denial of having said anything so ridiculous
as this.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
				I'm the NRA

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (01/20/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>evil thing.

>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>about skinheads.

>How do I do it ?

>John

>John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
>Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.
>emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |

Well, there already is a newsgroup for gun toting skin-head Ham radio operators
called rec.guns.ham.skinhead, maybe they could help you.  Remember, a
NEWSGROUP will exist on SKINHEADnet if 100 more NEWGROUPS are received
than RMGROUPS.

Terry ".-- .- ...-- ...- --.- .---" Wood
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

In article <21731@unix.cis.pitt.edu> tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Terry J. Wood) writes:

>Well, there already is a newsgroup for gun toting skin-head Ham radio operators
>called rec.guns.ham.skinhead, maybe they could help you.  Remember, a
>NEWSGROUP will exist on SKINHEADnet if 100 more NEWGROUPS are received
>than RMGROUPS.

I forgot to mention that you have to be at least a General Class or you
can't see the messages -- sorry.

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw
 And if dreams could come true, I'd still be there with you,
 On the banks of cold waters at the close of the day. - Craig Johnson

In article <21731@unix.cis.pitt.edu> tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Terry J. Wood) writes:

| Well, there already is a newsgroup for gun toting skin-head Ham radio operators
| called rec.guns.ham.skinhead, maybe they could help you.  Remember, a
| NEWSGROUP will exist on SKINHEADnet if 100 more NEWGROUPS are received
| than RMGROUPS.

  This has gone about far enough. Kindly leave guns and shitheads as
separate topics.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (01/20/90)

moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads appearing
>on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by themselves.  They
>needed no help from the media in showing what utterly wretched
>creatures they are.

Then proves himself wrong by saying:
>The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world [...]

Nazi punks and racists are a small, albeit vocal, part of the skinhead
community.  They are not at all what the movement is about.  You, Mr.
Moynihan, are sterling example of how the media has, in fact, "given
skinheads a bad name."

I think a skinhead newsgroup is a great idea.

Wayne();

In article <408@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <21731@unix.cis.pitt.edu> tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Terry J. Wood) writes:

>| Well, there already is a newsgroup for gun toting skin-head Ham radio operators
>| called rec.guns.ham.skinhead, maybe they could help you.  Remember, a
>| NEWSGROUP will exist on SKINHEADnet if 100 more NEWGROUPS are received
>| than RMGROUPS.

>  This has gone about far enough. Kindly leave guns and shitheads as
>separate topics.

But you'll notice that "bill" doesn't mind combining Ham Radio with
either topic!  BUT, I guess we'll have propose separate groups for
skin-head.guns and skin-head.ham-radio as skin-head.guns.ham-radio will
be voted against by "bill".

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw
 And if dreams could come true, I'd still be there with you,
 On the banks of cold waters at the close of the day. - Craig Johnson

<TSMIC@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca> (01/20/90)

Yeah,hey...How about people organize such a group and everyone DECENT on the
net can practice their rhetorical abuse writing skills?  That way, every alt.
flame reader can use it as a kind of lab,wherein they would learn how to home
some really nifty insult-jobs,and come back all prepared for some really good
flames.  Like a kind of sand bag for everybody to kick around.

Really,next to "alt.sex.bondage" and this little damn novelty,I can't think
of anything more uglying and depressing to my terminal.

What little crap would suggest such a thing in the first place?

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/20/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>evil thing.
>
>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>about skinheads.
>
>How do I do it ?
>

>John
>
>--
>John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
>Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.
>emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |

First, you get the Jewish Anti-defamation League (yes, I have no idea
what the correct spelling of Bnai Brith might be) to recant their
recent anouncement that anti-Semetic activity was up significantly in
this country in 1989, primarily due to a 200% increase in incidents
attributed to skinheads.

Crawl back into your swamp and die, slime!
--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us  xanthian@ads.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/20/90)

sci.nheads ?

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

someone@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mike Benefield) (01/21/90)

In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
>>
>>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>>about skinheads.
>
>The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
>themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
>result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
>for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
>of the KKK.
>
>How is this not a terribly evil thing?
>

>>How do I do it ?
>
>Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.

Okay, I'll agree with EVERYTHING he said about how horrible the skins
are.  Every time I see a skin, adrenaline rushes through my veins and
I put my hand on my knife.  Skins may be a real danger today but that
doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to speak.  If you try to
censor anything, then you end up just as low as Tom Metzger.
	"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to
the death your right to say it"

"Nazi punks
 Nazi punks
 Nazi punks
 FUCK OFF!!"
     -Dead Kennedys
 Mike Benefield
            UUCP: (seismo!umcp-cs | allegra!hopkins)!jhunix!someone
            Internet: someone@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu | zap!pow!boom!bang
                      ^^^^^^^ this isn't a joke

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/21/90)

In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
|In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
|>
|>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
|>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
|>evil thing.
|>

|The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads appearing
|on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by themselves.  They
|needed no help from the media in showing what utterly wretched creatures they are.
|
|>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
|>about skinheads.
|
|The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
|They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
|themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
|result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
|for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
|of the KKK.
|
|How is this not a terribly evil thing?
|

|>How do I do it ?
|
|Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.

	Hey, Bob (if that's really your name), listen up.

	YOU are a bigoted asshole.

	The skinhead community, just like many others,
	has certainly got its share of rightwing dodos
	aching for extinction.

	But also, like many others, there are some
	pretty amazing people among them who don't
	share those views.

	How well does a skinhead using the net fit in
	with your tiny concepts?

	John has asked for help to overcome the image
	problem that skinheads seem to have - you better
	find out what he's got in mind before you open
	your mouth.

Growl,
--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) (01/21/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

]There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
]wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
]evil thing.

]This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
]about skinheads.

]How do I do it ?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.... first *you* have to convince people other than yourself
that this type of a newsgroup would be a good idea.

...then you have to figure out how to issue a newgroup.
--
Allen Gwinn  sulaco!allen      DISCLAIMER: So SUE me... see if I care.
"Of *course* I can tell a flame from a non-flame. I'm well practiced at

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (01/21/90)

In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

>>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>>evil thing.

>The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads appearing
>on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by themselves.  They
>needed no help from the media in showing what utterly wretched creatures
>they are.

>The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
>themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
>result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
>for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
>of the KKK.

This is just not so.  There is certainly a very vocal camp within
"the skinheads" to whom this description applies; they march with
the KKK and the White Patriots Party, and make outrageous
statements, thus guaranteeing the media's interest in them.  There
is also a sizable portion of "the skinheads" who are kind, gentle,
*tolerant* people, who have absolutely nothing to do with the
above-mentioned group and their opinions and activities.  Many of
the ones I've known have taken to growing their hair longer so
they're not mistaken for the racist skinheads, who seem to be the
only ones who get attention, due to the nature of the definition of
news; the out of the ordinary is news, the threatening of the status
quo is news.  A group of people who wear their hair like Marines and
live just like the rest of us is not news.  So there is some
validity to Mr. De Armond's assertion that the media's picture of
skinheads is not an accurate one.

That said, his comments about the media leave me uneasy about which
camp he falls into, and the intent of his campaign.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

levy@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Daniel R. Levy) (01/21/90)

In article <10524@saturn.ADS.COM>, xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) writes:
< >There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
< >wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
< >evil thing.
< >This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
< >about skinheads.
< >How do I do it ?
< >John
< >John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
< >Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.
< >emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** |
< First, you get the Jewish Anti-defamation League (yes, I have no idea
< what the correct spelling of Bnai Brith might be) to recant their

you got it right modulo apostrophes (B'nai B'rith)

< recent anouncement that anti-Semetic activity was up significantly in
< this country in 1989, primarily due to a 200% increase in incidents
< attributed to skinheads.
<
< Crawl back into your swamp and die, slime!

Let me put in a plug here, for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which valiently
takes up the (legal) cudgel on behalf of minorities (mainly blacks) victimized
by skinheads, KKKers, etc.  If you're indignant about the skinhead situation,
try voting with your dollars to these folks.  I do.

	Southern Poverty Law Center
	400 Washington Avenue
	Mongomery, Alabama  36195
--
Daniel R. Levy                     >>> God: just say "yes" <<<
AT&T Bell Laboratories     UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!levy

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (01/22/90)

In article <8803@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:

>sci.nheads ?

While this would be appropiate for the sci distribution, think of what
it would look like when it expanded to: talk.nheads, misc.nheads,
alt.nheads, etc.  No, I'm afraid it wouldn't be as "cute" there.
Perhaps we could start a "math" distribution and then "math.nheads"
could be a group for the discussion of n-tuples as related to statistics
and "heads".

Seriously, though, I've gotten the most interesting mail about skinheads
because of this discussion.  I didn't even know that they came in GRAPE
flavors.

Terry

--

gorin@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amy Gorin) (01/22/90)

In article <3528@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>[not all skinheads fall into the media stereotype]  So there is some
>validity to Mr. De Armond's assertion that the media's picture of
>skinheads is not an accurate one.
>
>That said, his comments about the media leave me uneasy about which
>camp he falls into, and the intent of his campaign.
>--
>Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Judging from Mr. De Armond's previous postings in other newsgroups, I have
no doubt about which camp he falls into.

On the other hand, the people who requested he stop flaming them on their
own turf also suggested he start his own group if he wanted to continue
broadcasting his opinions (rather than force them in where they weren't wanted)

He is within his rights to try. Frankly, if there are 100 skinheads on the net
(and not 100 people who would vote against), I would like to know about it.

gorin@media-lab.media.mit.edu                     "Don't look in the
mit-eddie!mit-amt!gorin                           rear-view mirror"

troly@oak.math.ucla.edu (Bret Jolly) (01/22/90)

(Robert Moynihan) writes:

>The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads
>appearing on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>themselves.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

   I don't know whether Robert Moynihan is right or wrong, but
this argument is not compelling.

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (01/22/90)

-
Okay, a brief recap:

   John DeArmond proposed a skinheads newsgroup, saying that they have
been mis-cast by the media.
   I replied that the skinheads are extremely vile and evil.
   There were various messages that followed, concernin them, including
information I was unaware of:  That the original skinheads are nothing like
the ones that tout the white supremacist, neo-nazi claptrap.  I confess, I had
had never heard of peaceful, understanding, love-thy-neighbor skinheads.  If
these things are true, and if Mr. DeArmond is defending those original people,
then perhaps his proposal has merit.

   But my favorite message is this one:

>	Hey, Bob (if that's really your name), listen up.

Yes, it's my name, why would I use another?  I'm listening.

>	YOU are a bigoted asshole.

Thank you very much, nice to know you have a colorful vocabulary.  How can
you judge an individual you have never met?  I was judging a group I have heard
of many times, one that has invariably shown itself to be as I stated.  If
there are others that go by that name that are otherwise, I never heard of it
before.  Pardon me for being so vocal.  Racism really ticks me off.

>	The skinhead community, just like many others,
>	has certainly got its share of rightwing dodos
>	aching for extinction.

Those are the only ones I have ever heard of.

>	But also, like many others, there are some
>	pretty amazing people among them who don't
>	share those views.

So several people have said since I posted my diatribe.  If that's the case,
mayhap Mr. DeArmond has a point.

>	How well does a skinhead using the net fit in
>	with your tiny concepts?

What tiny concepts?  Like the concept that people should be able to live, work,
play, and go to school wherever they choose, without fear that someone else
will try to harm or kill them or their families?  People that preach hatred
and violence towards those who are different from them SOMETIMES make me wish
that there were limitations on free speech.  However, I realize that would do
more harm than good, so later, when I feel more rational, I dismiss the thought.

Anyone may use the net if they have access, skinhead or otherwise.  It's a free
country.  Likewise, if there are enough people that feel that a skinhead group
is a good idea, there will be one.  If discussion of it shows me that the neo-
nazis are a distinct minority, and that the REAL skinheads are the good ones
mentioned by several others,  I'll vote FOR it.  Otherwise, I'll vote AGAINST
it.  I have a right to my opinion, as you have a right to yours - my existance
as an anal oriface notwithstanding.

>	John has asked for help to overcome the image
>	problem that skinheads seem to have - you better
>	find out what he's got in mind before you open
>	your mouth.

I call them as I see them.  If I'm wrong, show me.  Insulting me won't make
me see your point.  Fortunately, I'm a lot more open minded than you think,
so it won't make me ignore you either.

>Growl,
>--
Feed your dog.

>  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
>w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
> `/c/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET
>_/  >_	 "Money is the root of all money" - Adam

Have a nice day.

Bob

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

news@cs.odu.edu (News File Owner) (01/22/90)

a newsgroup, you still have not answered the original question: how does one
go about forming a newsgroup?

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (01/22/90)

moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) wrote:
>John de Armond wrote:
>> I would like to start a newsgroup for and about skinheads.
> The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.

I suspect JdA's posting was a wind-up, and your spring is twanging just
like he intended.  In fact you're wrong.  Most skinheads may be right-wing,
but there is a substantial minority of left/anarchist skins as well (at
least here in the UK).  There was even a Trotskyist Oi! band once.

--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6044 wk  041 556 1878 ho

jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler - MDC - Douglas Aircraft - Long Beach, CA) (01/22/90)

In article <4005@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, someone@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mike Benefield) writes:
> In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>>In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
>>>
>>>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
>>>about skinheads.
>>
>>The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>>They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
>>themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
>>result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
>>for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
>>of the KKK.
>>
>>How is this not a terribly evil thing?
>>

>>>How do I do it ?
>>
>>Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.
>>

> Okay, I'll agree with EVERYTHING he said about how horrible the skins
> are.  Every time I see a skin, adrenaline rushes through my veins and
> I put my hand on my knife.  Skins may be a real danger today but that
> doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to speak.  If you try to
> censor anything, then you end up just as low as Tom Metzger.
> 	"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to
> the death your right to say it"

If the *.aquaria debate wasn't enough for news.groups to deal with, this one
will be full of flamage. I agree that any "person" who wishes to use the net
has that right, and that the net should support the freedom of speach in every
possible way, but I tend to agree that this should be established as a mailing
list first, and then, if successful, a newsgroup.

The use of a mailing list will show if this group would generate enough
interest to require newsgroup status (ie: will it garner enough votes to become
a newsgroup?). It is important to remember that *any* newsgroup can be killed
with enough no votes, and that skinheads as a group are not viewed as being the
most democratic and open of sub-cultures.

At this point, I would have to state that opening a call for discussion on a
new newsgroup on skinheads would not be in the best interest of those who wish
to participate in such a group, nor those that wish to see no such group in
existence. Go with a mailing list.

On a more personal note, If all such persons who propogate only hate and
mistrust of thier fellow man were to suddenly contract a fatal disease (note
that I did not specifically state any such groups name) I would not shed a
single moments thought to thier plight. WE ARE HUMANKIND!

JMI jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (01/23/90)

From article <2600@becker.UUCP>, by bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker):
> In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
> |
> |>This is wholly untrue, and I would like to start a newsgroup for and
> |>about skinheads.
> |
> |The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>
> 	The skinhead community, just like many others,
> 	has certainly got its share of rightwing dodos
> 	aching for extinction.

I fail to see how a hairstyle (or lack thereof) translates into a movement.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (01/23/90)

In article <8803@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:

|sci.nheads ?

I vote for sci.nheads.aquaria .

      \ /
---=*miles*=---

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (01/23/90)

In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:

|The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
|They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
|themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
|result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
|for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
|of the KKK.

|Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.

Whereupon, when flamed, Mr. Moynihan pleads ignorance as an excuse for
prejudice. If you form your opinions based upon (apparently, from what
you said) a few peoples' views and the national media, then you do, in-
deed (at least in my book) appear both ignorant and prejudiced.

On the other hand, you apologized, which shows a lot. So, all is forgiven.
Go and sin no more!

-Miles (!Jesus)

What about a new pi toplevel group? pi.nheads ?

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/24/90)

In article <5069@quack.UUCP> mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) writes:
> Isn't this the sort of crap that alt was created to spare us from?

NO!  alt was not created to spare people from crap, it was created by
people that didn't want to deal with the rules of The Big Seven.  It
was not created to be the Wasteland of USENET Society.

By the way, fix your nn.  It's still doing that busted Re^2: crap.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

vanembur@athos.rutgers.edu (Bill Van Emburg) (01/24/90)

In article <90019.231408TSMIC@UTORVM.BITNET> TSMIC@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

> Really,next to "alt.sex.bondage" and this little damn novelty,I can't think
> of anything more uglying and depressing to my terminal.

I can -- the recently created group, "alt.suicide.holiday."  THAT has
*got* to be the most ugly and depressing thing to cross MY terminal in
SOME time!  From what I understand, the first few postings, at least,
were "how to" tips...SICK.

				     Sincerely,
				     Bill Van Emburg
				     Rutgers University
				     (vanembur@cs.rutgers.edu)
				     (...!rutgers!cs.rutgers.edu!vanembur)

fischer@bimacs.BITNET (Yitzy Fischer) (01/25/90)

In article <1231@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:

>There is a great misunderstanding in this country, mostly caused by
>wretched left wing media hacks, that the skinhead movement is a terribly
>evil thing.
>
>This is wholly untrue ...

>John

        I have read a number of articles about skinheads and their use
of BBS's "to spread the word".  I do not have the time or inclination
to type in parts of what I read.  If no more than 10% of what I read
about the skinheads is true then I'd have to disagree with John.  They
don't sound like nice guys to me.

Yitzy

| Internet:  fischer@bimacs.biu.ac.il                                ^      |
| Bitnet:    fischer@bimacs (also s68606@barilvm)                 __/_\__   |
| Arpa:      fischer%bimacs.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu                \/   \/   |
| Csnet:     fischer%bimacs.bitnet%wiscvm.wisc.edu@csnet-relay    /\   /\   |
| Uucp:      {mcvax,seismo}!humus!bimacs!fischer                  --\-/--   |
|                                                                    V      |

In article <4005@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> someone@jhunix.UUCP (Mike Benefield) writes:

>>The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>>They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
>>themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
>>result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
>>for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
>>of the KKK.
>>
>>Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.
>>

>Okay, I'll agree with EVERYTHING he said about how horrible the skins
>are.  ....
>                      ....  Skins may be a real danger today but that
>doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to speak.

        I beg to differ on the last point.  Freedom of speech is ok as
long as the speech is not aainst freedom and what that freedom stands
for.  From what I've read about the skinheads they should not be
allowed this right.  Most sane people today look back with 20-20
hindsight and say that hitler and the nazis should not have been
allowed to do what they did.  Am I mistaken or aren't the skinheads
neo-nazis?

In article <2600@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:

>|The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
>|They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
>|themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
>|result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
>|for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
>|of the KKK.
>|

>       Hey, Bob (if that's really your name), listen up.
>
>       YOU are a bigoted asshole.
>
>       John has asked for help to overcome the image
>       problem that skinheads seem to have - you better
>       find out what he's got in mind before you open
>       your mouth.
>
>Growl,

        It seems that you have justed proved that Bob and the others
are 100% correct about the skinheads.

From: Michael R. Dow <DOW@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: rec.autos,misc.consumers
Subject: Looking for info/opinions on '90 Hyundai Sonata
Date: Wednesday, 24 Jan 1990 07:19:15 EST

My (soon-to-be) wife and I are looking for a car to replace her old and
rusting Pontiac Sunbird.  Now, this car has been OK, but not much more than
that.  We'll get 100,000 miles out of it before we sell it to someone in need
without too much nickle and diming.

So, last night I went out and looked at some cars.  I already know what the
Hondas are like, I tried the VW Jetta and didn't like it, the Toyota Camry
is an ok car, but not impressive for the dollar.  However, knowing nothing
about Hyundais, I went and looked and was somewhat impressed with the Sonata.
The dealer (a reasonably nice guy, even) says that the power train is a
Mitsubishi power train.

So, I'm looking for what you may have heard or experienced.  It is a well
priced car for its size and options.  I'm not looking for any technological
breakthroughs in suspension and handling - my fiancee isn't that kind of
driver.

Thanx.

Michael R. Dow
DOW@MAINE.BITNET

unhd (Paul A. Sand) (01/25/90)

In article <8803@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:

>sci.nheads ?

rec.tums
--
-- Paul A. Sand
-- University of New Hampshire

dsill@ophiuchi.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (01/25/90)

In article <1166@bimacs.BITNET>, fischer@bimacs.BITNET (Yitzy Fischer) writes:

>         Freedom of speech is ok as long as the speech is not aainst
> freedom and what that freedom stands for.

Wrong.  If you censor anti-freedom speech, you don't have freedom of
speech.

Most reasonble people these days realize that it's better to let such
fanatics as the KKK and neo-nazis have their say than to try to
suppress them.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (01/25/90)

=

Dave Morash wrote me, regarding my postings about
skinheads in the media.  The quoted part of his letter
is used with his permission.

===============================

Hi Dave,

> Could it just be possible that the media is only showing you what you
> want to see? Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you're told by the
> media.

You know, this did occur to me.  Remember, all I had ever heard of was
the neo-nazi skinheads.  When I saw them on TV or read of them in the
paper, they were quite clearly articulating their viewpoint.  There was
no way it was due to a media slant of things.  However, I realize that
it's possible that the only reason they got air time and/or ink was that
the stories were apt to cause an uproar.  As the saying goes, you never
hear about the 210 million people that make it home safely from work,
just the ones that crashed and burned.  Likewise, love-thy-neighbor
skinheads aren't newsworthy.

The skinheads I saw on television were in my mind, unquestionably vile.
I would've thought the same if I heard them articulate their views in
person.  In that respect, I could believe what I was told, because it
wasn't "the media" that told me.  More important is what the media
doesn't tell us, namely that these might not be a representative sample
of the skinheads.

Anyway, my initial reaction was towards the only skinheads I ever heard
about.  I could not comprehend how anyone could defend such a group.  I
do find it interesting that as yet, John G. DeArmond has not re-posted
to clarify exactly which group he was writing about.  I hope he does so
soon.

I believe in the right of free speech.  However, speech on Usenet is not
free.  Each company or school pays for storing and transporting the
messages that are sent out.  I don't want HP lowering its profits by so
much as one cent by handling the racist and anti-semetic slurs that
groups such as the KKK,  the american Nazis, or the latter skinheads
espouse.  Therefore, I will resist any attempt to get them their own
newsgroups to spread their propaganda.  I would, however support a group
for the original skinheads, but there will have to be some pretty
convincing evidence that those are the people that the group would be for.

You made a very good point in your letter to me, and I welcome your input.
Thank you for writing.

============================///====================================

In article <1166@bimacs.BITNET> fischer@bimacs.biu.ac.il.UUCP (Yitzy Fischer) writes:

>        I beg to differ on the last point.  Freedom of speech is ok as
>long as the speech is not aainst freedom and what that freedom stands
>for.  From what I've read about the skinheads they should not be
>allowed this right.  Most sane people today look back with 20-20
>hindsight and say that hitler and the nazis should not have been
>allowed to do what they did.  Am I mistaken or aren't the skinheads
>neo-nazis?
>
>Yitzy

Apply your own reasoning to your article:  You speak against freedom of
speech, therefore it is YOU who must not be allowed to speak...
What Hitler and the Nazis did was much, much more than speak.  Speaking
didn't annex the Rhineland.  Speech didn't kill 15 million people.  Without
Hitler to put it into action, his _Mein Kampf_ probably would have gone down
in history to the same place Lyndon Larouche is headed.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (01/26/90)

[moynihan_r@klingon.UUCP (Robert Moynihan) recently posted that:
|about.  I could not comprehend how anyone could defend such a group.  I
|do find it interesting that as yet, John G. DeArmond has not re-posted
|to clarify exactly which group he was writing about.  I hope he does so
|soon.

I don't believe he reads this group regularly.  I sent him private mail
answering his direct question ("how to start a newsgroup") and he replied
(also by private mail) that the posting was a forgery and that he had no
interest in skinheads or a newsgroup about them.  He is an active
participant in sci.energy where he has contributed some excellent first
hand experience articles on the nuclear power industry, if you're
interested.

Whoever did the posting no doubt got what she or he wanted: a lot of flames
and the old free speech stuff.  Some day someone's going to have a
war and no one will bother to attend.  Same with "inflamatory" postings
to USEnet!

        - Dale (N1US)   Encore Computer Corporation, Marlborough, Mass.

INTERNET:  cook@encore.com	"Never try to catch two frogs with
UUCP: buita \			 one hand."
    talcott  } !encore!cook
   bellcore /			 	- Chinese Proverb

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (01/26/90)

First of all, Robert, this isn't a flame or personal attack on you!  Far
from it, as I've thought the very same thing that you have.  However,
your article got me to thinking!

In article <483f1f78.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@klingon.UUCP (Robert Moynihan) writes:

>I believe in the right of free speech.  However, speech on Usenet is not
>free.  Each company or school pays for storing and transporting the
>messages that are sent out.  I don't want HP lowering its profits by so
>much as one cent by handling the racist and anti-semetic slurs that
>groups such as the KKK,  the american Nazis, or the latter skinheads
>espouse.  Therefore, I will resist any attempt to get them their own
>newsgroups to spread their propaganda.  I would, however support a group
>for the original skinheads, but there will have to be some pretty
>convincing evidence that those are the people that the group would be for.

Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone (let alone the "Nasty" Skinheads)
from posting anything they want, where ever they want, on unmoderated USENET.
USENET is a "Gentlemen's agreement" between sites to exchange articles.

Now, should some "Nasty Skinheads" come along and politely ask for a
newsgroup and get voted down, do you (the general USENET user) really
think they would go away, just because USENET told them to?  Wouldn't it
be more likely that they would, instead, take over an existing
newsgroup?  The name would hardly matter.  The transmission media would
be their most important goal.  Even if you RMGROUPED every newsgroup
they took over, it wouldn't matter, for they would just switch to
another group.  The only way to silence them (or anyone using these
tactics) would be to sever their site(s) from USENET.  So they can't
really be silenced (nor should they or anyone else be).

The people we've seen on the nightly news aren't going to ask USENET's
permission -- they'd hardly be the type to ask!  So, what does that
leave us?  Well I see the following possiblities:

	* The original article on this subject was a joke/forged/lark.
	* The original article was sincere and probably from a "nice"
		skinhead (who happens to be a 35 year old Ham radio
		Technician Class operator).
	* The original article is from someone who's interested in
		skinheads and is looking for other skinheads on the net.
	* Some other point which you (the USENET public) can point out to
		me or FLAME if that's more your style!

Even if the original article was full of hate and spite I'd recommend
giving them a newsgroup.  (WHAT you say, is he mad?).  We'll let's just
say there's more than one way to skin a ummm, head! ;-)

I don't think we're dealing with a lot of skinheads anyway, or they'd
have made themselves know in other USENET groups, long before this.
Skinheads of all the net, stand up and be counted!

USENET will have to deal with a problem of this type, someday.  Even if
a group is voted down, a minority of determined posters, could make life
hell.  Perhaps the very fine ALT network, has shielded USENET from this.

Oh well, food for thought.

I've enjoyed this discussion anyway -- for once I've actually learned
something from this.  (Didn't think it possible, didja Greg! ;-)

Terry "Longhair hippy" Wood

--

fi038@zeus.unl.edu (01/26/90)

In article <48215758.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) writes:

> The media has nothing to do with it.  Any time I've seen skinheads appearing
> on television, they have displayed their vile natures all by themselves.  They
> needed no help from the media in showing what utterly wretched creatures they are.

Unfortunately, the only people who have the balls to put skinheads on TV are
psycho-babbling ass holes like Geraldo Rivera (sp?--like I care).  What in
the hell did he expect, with the white-supremist skins, a rabbi, and a rather
large black man.  That was asking for trouble (and I'd say he got it. . .).
Had you pulled your head out of your ass long enough to notice, the majority
of the skins (there were several in the audience) were not white-supremist,
or skum bag, cest-infested bums.

> The skinhead movement is a bunch of uneducated, racist juvenile delinquents.
> They tout the absurdity of white supremacy to the world as a way to make
> themselves feel that their inability to make anything of their lives is a
> result of some great "black consipracy", and not their unwillingness to work
> for their own betterment.  For all intents and purposes, they are the teens
> of the KKK.

Again, obviously you don't understand what being a skin is all about.  I am
not an authority on the subject, nor am I a skin myself.  But I do have a
couple of freinds who are.  One of them marched **against** the KKK in
Washington DC a couple of years ago at the age of 16.  This shows lots of
responsibility, and also courage to stand up for what he believes in.  How
do you want him to better himself?  He is a straight A student, has a job.
and is very socially, politically, and mentally aware.  True, for the most
part, they can get very violent for their beliefs, but who can't.  How
would you feel if you were dicriminated against because of your hair style?
I happen to have fairly long hair, and it infuriates me when I am looked
down upon because of the length of my hair.  Basically, to avoid their
violence, treat them like people.

> Spare us, please.  This sort of bigoted trash the world can do without.

Excuse me, oh wise one, but are you then favoring censorship?  Do you think
that just because **you** don't agree with someone else's feelings that they
should be wiped out?  You insignificant **prejudiced** bastard, we can do
without you, too!

> Bobby

> ============================///====================================
> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
> Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
> Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

Exactly what skins do, keep trying.  They don't give up.

					Kevin (Fi038)
					  In a night with no end,
					    When the darkness descends,
					      Fade to Black.

Disclaimer:  All spelling errors are the result of minor brain farts due to
	     lack of sleep.  But who really gives a damn, I'm not an English
	     major!

seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Peter Seebach) (01/28/90)

In article <90019.231408TSMIC@UTORVM.BITNET> TSMIC@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:
>Really,next to "alt.sex.bondage" and this little damn novelty,I can't think
>of anything more uglying and depressing to my terminal.

Yeah, I agree. "alt.sex.bondage" is disgusting, it's almost as bad as
those gay queers who got a newsgroup i think it should be rmgrouped we
don't need gays or perverts on our net. I mean, that bondage stuff is
sick.
(Anyone miss the smileys? If so, please go shoot yourself.)

Seriously, if you don't like something, don't read it. Don't insult
people just because they're a bit more open-minded and perhaps enlightened
than you are...

>What little crap would suggest such a thing in the first place?

You?

--SeebS--

bei@puzzle.UUCP (Bob.Izenberg) (01/29/90)

In article <6971.25bf5ff1@zeus.unl.edu> fi038@zeus.unl.edu writes:

>How
>do you want him to better himself?  He is a straight A student, has a job.
>and is very socially, politically, and mentally aware.  True, for the most
>part, they can get very violent for their beliefs, but who can't.  How
>would you feel if you were dicriminated against because of your hair style?

I understand that you're expressing it in terms that (probably, since we can't
see you to tell how long your hair really is) have meaning to you.  The hair
issue is, not to belabor the obvious, about personal appearance.  I don't pay
much attention to the outside of a skinhead's head.  It's the bad mix of ideas
on the inside that's the problem.

>Excuse me, oh wise one, but are you then favoring censorship?  Do you think
>that just because **you** don't agree with someone else's feelings that they
>should be wiped out?  You insignificant **prejudiced** bastard, we can do
>without you, too!

Spoken like a true brownshirt.  And what's this "we" stuff?  You're not a
skinhead. remember?  Anyway, obey the law of this country, don't infringe
upon other people's civil liberties, and you can believe whatever kukka
you like.

-- Bob
                     Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates

bdb@becker.UUCP (02/02/90)

In article <4081@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) writes:
|[...]
|Go ahead, flame me.  You can't argue successfully with the media and
|public opinion.

	First we get skinheads,
	then we get boneheads.
	You probably think Alien
	Nation is only on TV...

--
Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.	Vox: +1 416 699 1868
Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (02/06/90)

In article <3240@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP writes:
>	First we get skinheads,
>	then we get boneheads.
>	You probably think Alien
>	Nation is only on TV...

We already have the boneheads (have you read news.groups lately? ;-)

I think we should just create alt.skinheads and see how much traffic we
get.  My bet is that it will be low.  That way we can get rid of this
junk in news.groups.  Then when there's no traffic for a few months we
can rmgroup it and tell the story to anyone who wants to create it
again for years to come.

--Bill