[news.groups] Creating arts.* tech.* sci.eng.*

mehl@cs.iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/06/90)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, how about splitting off two new hierarchies?

>	arts.*		Arts and Humanities.
>	tech.*		Technology and Engineering (excluding computers).
>Then we can mass-move some groups out of sci.

We already have a rec.arts.* hierarchy.  Do we really need another?
Were you planning on dumping the rec.arts.* hierarchy if an arts.*
hierarchy was started?

On the other hand, a sci.eng.* or tech.* hierarchy maybe useful for
engineering and "practical" physical-science concerns and applications
that engineers and technologists deal with (rather than scientists).

Maybe if we had a sci.eng.* hierarchy, then we could start a
sci.eng.comp.* hierarchy so that hardware oriented groups like
comp.arch would now become sci.eng.comp.arch.  News groups would become
organized like a library.
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@atanasoff.cs.IAstate.edu

In article <511@dino.cs.iastate.edu> mehl@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu writes:
> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Well, how about splitting off two new hierarchies?

> >	arts.*		Arts and Humanities.
> >	tech.*		Technology and Engineering (excluding computers).
> >Then we can mass-move some groups out of sci.

> We already have a rec.arts.* hierarchy.  Do we really need another?

The "arts" here refers to "arts and letters", rather than "fine art" or
"popular art".

> Were you planning on dumping the rec.arts.* hierarchy if an arts.*
> hierarchy was started?

No. Arts as recreation and humanities are seperate concepts.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \