[news.groups] Call for DISCUSSION: rec.photo.3d

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (02/03/90)

The following describes my proposal for "rec.photo.3d".

(note:  "rec.photo" exists, but has no subgroups).

In the last decade, there has been a strong increase in interest in
"three dimensional" photography.  This includes cameras made by
NIMSLO, NISHIKA, and many others.

In addition, the art of holography has grown extremely rapidly.
(ever seen some of those breakfast cereal boxes lately?)

My proposal is the creation of "rec.photo.3d", whose charter
is somewhat layed out by the following....

"rec.photo.3d" will be the newsgroup that will be used as a forum
to discuss all aspects of three-dimensional (or just multidimensional)
photography, and related topics.  These topics could include (but are
not limited to)

3d photography - still photos
3d photography - movies, television
holography (2d, 3d, and all its various forms)
Information of stereo (3d) distributors
3d/holography developing techniques
3d/holography viewing techniques
publication information

etc....

I once made a proposal quite some time ago for "rec.holography".  That
was obviously too specific.  I believe "rec.photo.3d" covers a broader
range of topics, but still keeps the scope in a specific area of interest.

For those of you who are not aware, there is indeed a "3d" mailing list
out there, and it's about time we created a group to go hand in hand with
it.   In order to keep traffic on the net to a minimum, I would like to
move the discussion of this topic to that list.

The following is the initial response to subscribing to the mailing
list.  If you are interested in the list (and especially want to see
rec.photo.3d appear), please join in!      I will also be checking
these groups regularly to poll informal reaction to this proposal.

Information on how to join the list is at the bottom of this message.

p.s., I am calling for an UNmoderated group.

From:	bfmny0!3D-REQUEST@uunet.UU.NET 14-NOV-1989 11:38:15.93
Subj:	Welcome to 3D!
Date: 14 Nov 89 12:09:54 EST (Tue)

Welcome to 3D (Stereo Photography).  You have been added to the roster
as: xxxxx@yyyyy.zzz

3D is a list for discussing 3D (stereo) photography -- a discipline as
old as photography itself, with a fascinating history and an
enthusiastic crowd of modern day practitioners and collectors.

Membership is open to everyone.  You will be most likely to enjoy
subscribing if you work in stereo yourself, or if you are generally
interested and would like to learn more.  No particular expertise is
required to participate here -- it's my hope that we can share what
expertise we do have so that everyone both learns something and has the
pleasure of helping others learn.

The list is currently not moderated.

If you are a new member who works in stereo, feel free to submit a
"hello" message to the list, to tell the rest of us about yourself and
your 3D interests.  Is there anything in particular you want to share
with other stereophiles, or anything in particular you need?  That
stuff.

One favor: If you happen to get a "MAILER-DAEMON" error message after
submitting something to 3D, please DO NOT resend your original message.
The errors usually come from "broken" mailers on just one or two
subscribers' machines, *after* I have broadcast the message to
everyone.  Most people will already have read your posting before you
ever see the error message.  (Such things are supposed to bounce back to
me, not you, but not all mailers understand this, which is part of what
we mean by "broken"!)  If you forward the error message to me at
3d-request, I can look into the situation.

Thanks, and happy 3D'ing! -- Tom Neff

NOTE:  There are a lot of peculiar mail systems out there.  If you have
trouble submitting articles using the addresses listed below, please
reply to me using the return address you see at the top of *this*
(welcome) message, and tell me what address you see.  I can probably
tell you the proper address to use for the mailing list based on this
information.  Thanks and once again, welcome!
==
3D -- Stereo Photography                  Tom Neff, moderator

To contribute, mail to ...... 3d@bfmny0.uu.net
To join or leave, mail to ... 3d-request@bfmny0.uu.net

Please include a Subject, and keep line lengths under 80 characters.
level. WHy not form an alt group and see what the readership is after a
few months. You can count on it getting bigger if a regular group is
formed.

  Based on the content of the mailing list I could see this as a sci.
group, not for any distribution reasons but because there is very little
discussion of anything other then "who makes it," "can I do it," and
"how does that work?"